PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Decluttering 2012, this year, definitely ...

Comments

• gunsandbanjos
    gunsandbanjos Posts: 12,246 Forumite
    PPI Party Pooper
    Well hubby is helping massively in the decluttering by renting a garage! Most of the clutter is his work stuff - big boxes of stuff taking up loads of space. I can't wait til it's gone. I literally can't get into stuff in the bedroom as these boxes are in the way.
    The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt.
    Bertrand Russell
  • OH DEAR!
    Here's another challenge I REALLY NEED to do!

I only moved 2 years ago but I've regathered the clutter already. Am going to grab a glass of Lucozade (yes, I know how to party) and read through all the posts - with both excitement and trepidation! Please count me in!
  • aligerdie
    aligerdie Posts: 576 Forumite
    gsdloopy wrote: »
    A bit late finding this thread but this year is a decluttering year for us too. I give up with trying to get in our garage or shed etc as that is OH's domain but I'm going to try with the house. It's ridiculous. I can't even get to open the curtains in our room :o and I'm getting really fed with it. Every room is overflowing and its a very small house. To be honest it's hard to know where to start but I'm going to try to concentrate on sorting one area out completely before starting another. Even if I only clear half a shelf a month, I want to actually get rid of stuff not just relocate it!. OH just wants to get a skip and throw everything out but most of the stuff we have is good, we just have too much and its so wasteful to throw it away.

I know since being pregnant with baby number 4 it's been really hard for me to get anything done with a bad pregnancy and her being so demanding and clingy but I have got to do something and it should be easier now she's 18 months old!

So far I've got 7 items on ebay, not much but hey it's a start. Next week I'm going to see how to recycle clothes at cash for clothes as I don't seem to have much luck selling them on ebay.

I could have written that myself :o

I had baby number 4 in February this year, and have really struggled to stay on top of everything since (I was rubbish before baby too!).

We have got so much 'stuff' in a 3 bed semi,and it feels so claustrophobic. In our bedroom we have to lean over things to get to the curtains to open & shut them, so sometimes I don't bother!
    This year I am determined to get rid of stuff, and figure that if I do it'll be easier to stay on top of things. OH wants a skip, but doesn't realise that I've sold tons of stuff on our local facebook selling site (clothes especially), and I'm working my way through it all.

I took a load of stuff to cash for clothes not long back, and it was such a relief to get rid of them even though I didn't get much for them.

OH just dumps things in the garage out of the way, but I'd rather sort through them and try and get rid- this is where we clash!
    This week so far though I'm on a mission. I've got rid of a load of stuff, can't really see the difference yet, but if I can keep it up, I'll be sorted in no time.
    96 items decluttered so far in 2013 :)
  • Please count me in for the Ditch 100 in January Challenge!
    Will come back later when I've found some things to ditch.
    This might be the push I need to clear the kitchen (which was spotless before I made sweets for Christmas pressies and hasn't quite recovered full sparkle ever since....
  • aligerdie
    aligerdie Posts: 576 Forumite
    SavingJane wrote: »
    Thanks I went onto it scanned in the barcodes and for 37 think it was dvd some like double films came just under 20 was a bit sad seeing 30p come up so many times, thou did have 1 dvd which had 3 films on 1 disc come up just over £4 so might see if I can sell that else where lol

Have found a very small under 20 ppl facebay page for local area so just listed a load of items on there but don't hold out much hope when so few ppl are on it. Where are all these busy groups people talk of they sell loads on

Certainly in our area there's a few local selling pages on facebook, you may need to tweak your search a bit, or go on a site in an area not far away? Some people will travel to collect if it's worth it x
    96 items decluttered so far in 2013 :)
  • I haven't done any decluttering yet (but I can think of things that need to go!) but I have printed off the 2011 and 2012 declutter and organize calenders from mysimplerlife.

Sounds interesting! Am going to look at that! Have you found it helpful yet?
  • lilac_lady
    lilac_lady Posts: 4,469 Forumite
    My house isn't messy until you open drawers and cupboards! Too much stuff even though most of it is unseen.

I'm going to aim for the 100 ditched items this month and started last night with 22 CD's ready to be sent to Music Magpie. £25.07 offered and accepted.

I've started using my filofax (thanks to another post) so will be logging the hundred items.

I'm getting quite excited about this project. Sad or what?
    " The greatest wealth is to live content with little."

Plato

• SavingJane
    SavingJane Posts: 2,323 Forumite
    Nah nothing i would say worth traveling for and it's local i say but nearest town ive joined as we only a small place....will keep hunting
    Mummy to Lewis Born Aug 10
  • Possession
    Possession Posts: 3,262 Forumite
    Ditch 100 in January Challenge

well I've managed to clear the contents of half the boxes in the living room, but since they only arrived yesterday I can't count that as part of decluttering really!
    I'd like to take advantage of the free ebay listing but I bet it will be really busy with everyone selling unwanted xmas presents so there might be a lot of competition.
  • 365days
    365days Posts: 1,347 Forumite
    6. Broken lunchbox...bin
    7. 10x books to CS
    8. 2x tops to CS
    9. Kids over the head towel thing CS
    10. Coat hooks CS

And an afternoon's worth of frustration and anger over the phone at quotemehappy.com don't go near them!!
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure