Howdens vs Ikea kitchens - which is best overall? Any advice?

Comments

• Kinkajou
    Kinkajou Posts: 61 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Hi sillywilly,
    I had a Howdens kitchen put in about 11 years ago by a builder(it was the same kitchen they had in MFI). We're always cooking up a storm, its still standing, had one broken cupboard handle, but we found a local Howdens and managed to get a handle there. So it seems O.K to me. I've not had any experience of Ikea kitchens though.
  • amerste
    amerste Posts: 182 Forumite
    edited 10 July 2010 at 8:31AM
    Krav wrote: »
    I am currently finalising a kitchen with Howdens so very interested in this thread. May I ask how much you paid for yours, the number of units and the range?

Sorry for the delay, I paid just under £5k for over 20 units with all the usual extra's + dishwasher + fridge +worktops. Howdens estimated with discount over £6.7k. The units I chose with wren are the Joyce ( upgrade from Howdens ) gloss white rounded edged doors. We had to contact wren customer service to order one more door and found them very helpfull with a quick delivery. The fitters had never heard of them previously but will now recommend. Something that never gets thought of is weight restrictions on drawer runners etc, I know I didn't, but he fitters explained that these were the best you could get. Hope this helps.
  • Gizmosmum_2
    Gizmosmum_2 Posts: 448 Forumite
    After getting a "quote" for replacement doors of between £1,000 - £1500 I decided to price up some full kitchens.

Couldn't get my head round Howdens not having a showroom - I need to see what they look like in a kitchen setting because I'm not very visual - CAD drawings are really basic. Hubby is in the trade so we can get trade prices but I can't chose from a couple of base units and a catalogue.

Tried a local version of Magnet trade - much more choice, quality appears the same as Howdens and price reasonable.

Quite liked one of the take away kitchens from Wickes (we out one in one of our rental houses 5 years ago and it's still like new) but even that was £2k - my kitchen is a decent size. Thought I'd look at the prices of to order kitches at Wickes and nearly fell off my chair - £450 in the sale for a larder untit!!

Took a trip (70 miles) to my nearest Ikea yesterday - loved the kitchens, the quality (have you seen how many people are testing those doors and drawers every day on their way through to other departments??) I'd knocked up a quick cad drawing using Ikea tools the night before and was talked through all the bits I'd missed off by very helpful staff in the kitchen bit.

End result - I spent £3,400 fitting out my 5m x 3m kitchen with a mix of oak and white units (sounds awful but looks great) with 25 year guarantee, sink, oven, integrated microwave, integrated fridge freezer, integrated dishwasher, integrated washing machine - all with 5 yr guarantees and 3 solid oak work surfaces. Unbelievable price and I could have had 2 years interest free credit and delivery in 48 hours. If I'd wanted full oak it would have been about £150 extra.

Hard to beat I'd say. Of course we have to put the units together but having done this many times before - it's only an extra day's work to do this.

Happy bunny. :j
    Target of wind & watertight by Sept 2011 :D
  • always29
    always29 Posts: 477 Forumite
    Doozergirl wrote: »
    Appliances ... I've used lots of companies through there (boots kitchen appliances - points and quidco; jual domestic; trading post appliances) and always think about whether I can collect to save delivery costs. I'm often guilty of buying ex-display as well to save money. I have a lovely Bosch integrated fridge freezer in my kitchen which I picked up really cheap in B&Q because the sides were slightly dented. You don't see the sides!

thanks Doozer - just starting on our kitchen epic and came across this thread searching for Howden's as our builder mentioned them and didn't realise Boots did appliances! I'll be shopping round too but the quidco and points can make a difference on so many things, saved over £60 on little one's pram last year!
  • EllaKeat
    EllaKeat Posts: 89 Forumite
    I have just had a Howdens kitchen fitted and I am absolutely over the moon with it. Bobby from Howdens came around three times, as i kept changing my mind about bits and pieces, my builder John fitted it. and we paid £5k for the kitchen and all appliances and 1.5K for fitting/tiling/decorating etc.,
    My kitchen is roughly 15ftx16ft and I still stroke the worktop everytime I walk in there. It is hard not to have a showroom, not easy to visualise, but the cost difference (6.5k as opposed to £13k quoted by Magnet and £12.5k quoted by Moben) makes it worth it!

Love the quality:)
  • newmum1
    newmum1 Posts: 1,341 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Hi I have a howdens kitchen, had it for nearly 3 yrs now fantastic no probs I also brought my range cooker,fridge freezer and washer dryer those alone were a bargain for all three it was just under £1000 they are all integrated. The rest of kitchen with fitting cost bout £2500. J have high gloss White cupboards would recommend. Fantastic
  • sillywilly
    sillywilly Posts: 701 Forumite
    edited 10 August 2010 at 9:47AM
    Are mid way getting the kitchen fitted. Is looking good but as with most "off the shelf" kitchens, until it forms a cohesive whole, the carcasses are just MDF or Contiboard style stuff.

The major benefit of Howdens is that the units come pre assembled saving the fitter a lot of time and effort.

The breakdown of costs for ours -

Kitchen units and flooring - Howdens @ £2.5K

Fitting £2.5K to include all units and appliance fitting, electrics done by a sparky, gas work done by gas safe bloke and tiling and flooring fitted.

Appliances - all built in and Which Best buys @ £1500 - delivered prices. Includes Fridge Freezer, Washer Dryer, Dishwasher, Oven, Hob and extractor hood.

Combi boiler fitted and all radiators replaced with Thermostatic Radiator Valves - 6 of @ £1500

Sink and tap - £45 + £19 - Plumbworld and Ebay delivered prices.

Plastering @ £400 - whole room and ceiling

New halogen low voltage lights and flat plat switches all round - @ £160 at Screwfix

Tiles and Trim -Travertine from Tile Clearing House 4.5m - £180

Paint - 10 litres Crown white for mist coat and ceiling + B&Q kitchen and bathroom @ £22 + woodwork paint £12 + a whole weekend of hard graft and sanding = Free

Misc - Tools such as rollers and other stuff mainly from toolstation @ £20

Makes a grand total of £8858

First time I have actually worked everything out and feel really exposed!! Also feel we have done pretty well seeing that this includes a new boiler and heating system.

Our shower is a power shower now - one of the best investments ever!!

If anyone needs any advice or help on where to buy things etc get in touch.

I am not a professional but do feel that we have saved money at every opportunity and researched everything very thoroughly.

I think it has been well project managed - helps when you have an honest tradesman.

Also have loads of photos from before to after that I may put in an online album if anyone would be interested? The transformation is incredible and the OH is over the moon, which I guess is all that matters!!

The costs I have quoted could be cut considerably depending on a lot of factors.

Just a word or warning, it does take a lot of time and is very stressful!!

HTH someone
  • suisidevw
    suisidevw Posts: 2,256 Forumite
    Let's see them silly! I love seeing before and afters when you've taken loads of time deciding on every little part. Had the same with our bathroom :)
  • Ensure you get several quotes - apart from the price issue this will help you firm up your kitchen design. We had three quotes and found that each company had their own ideas which added to the process.
    We went for a local independent firm which supplied new doors only for some cupboards and entire new cupboards where needed which really lowered the price in comparison with having to rip everything out.
  • Doozergirl
    Doozergirl Posts: 33,803 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    I'd love to see your pictures sillywilly, well done for hunting it all down separately - definitely the best was to do it cheaply!
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure