IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

Think I've messed up parking eye

Options
Hi
I've just signed up here I received a letter today for a parking incident on the 8th of October.
My partner is the registered keeper but I am the driver.
It was home bargains in jarrow I went done shopping (don't still have receipts) then my 4 month old needed feeding there was no where else to feed and change her (she's breastfed so feel more comfortable feeding in the car) I over stayed by 15 minutes.. The time is 1 hour 30 minutes I didn't know at the time
I've been back today and the signs are up high so not completely noticeable.
Stupidly I've found this forum after mailing parking eye and I have appealed explaining I was the driver and have just received the letter I didn't see the signs and that I was feeding in the car and only comfortable feeding her there as home bargains have no facilities and that leaving her crying would make it dangerous and a distraction.

I have bad anxiety and now completely panicking I've done everything wrong and now have this £85 we really don't have spare to pay.
I have the email for joe Morris head of home bargains not sure if it will help? I emailed home bargains hq but they said there was nothing they could do and to take it up with parking eye.

Comments

• Half_way
    Half_way Posts: 7,053 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    You should try taking it up with the shop again, with a newborn/breastfeeding infant the Equalities act may apply. If that is the case then they can be held liable for their agents breach of the EA
    From the Plain Language Commission:

"The BPA has surely become one of the most socially dangerous organisations in the UK"
  • Redx
    Redx Posts: 38,084 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 25 November 2015 at 12:38AM
    Options
    have PE rejected your appeal ?

if they have , did they issue a popla code ?

if they issued a popla code , what is the expiry date ?

as mentioned above, the EA2010 may apply so have a go at the shop, or their CEO , or both

ps:- you say you received a letter, but I dont believe it , sorry

if your partner is the RK, then they received the letter , not you
  • Kimberalex
    Options
    I sent the appeal tonight before I came across one of the threads on here so will be waiting.

Sorry no I haven't personally addressed to me but my partner has who is the registered keeper it came today for the 8th of October. I have cited to parking eye about the having to feed her explaining it takes longer than usual as she's not a fast feeder and has reflux so needs meds between feed.

Half_way thank you I think that's what I will do tomorrow I've tried to find some templates as I'm awful with words but can't find any in relation to breastfeeding and the equalities act
  • salmosalaris
    Options
    Were the incident date and the issue date of the first PCN more than 14 days apart ? Is this the first letter in the chain ?
    Did your appeal identify the driver ?
  • Kimberalex
    Options
    The incident date was the 8th of October we received a letter today saying to pay £85. I did say I was driving the car but my oh is the RK :/ silly I know after I've read this post.
  • Half_way
    Half_way Posts: 7,053 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    EA and Breastfeeding can be found here https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/85008/business-quickstart.pdf
    A business cannot discriminate against mothers who
    are breastfeeding a child of any age.
    The Equality Act 2010 has specifically clarified that
    it is unlawful for a business to discriminate against a
    woman because she is breastfeeding a child.
    A business may ask a breastfeeding woman to leave
    their premises if the reason for this request is not
    due to her breastfeeding. However, if the woman
    later claims that discrimination occurred because
    she was breastfeeding, the business will have to
    prove that there was in fact no discrimination.
    DO
    make sure women you’re providing services to
    are allowed to breastfeed on your premises if they
    want to.
    DO
    also ensure that mothers breastfeeding babies
    are not discriminated against, no matter how old the
    baby is.
    DO
    train all your employees, especially those who
    deal with the public, to be aware of the protection
    from discrimination given to breastfeeding mothers
    under the Equality Act 2010.
    DON’T
    forget, under the Equality Act 2010,
    discriminating against someone because they are
    with a breastfeeding mother is also prohibited, so
    companions of breastfeeding mothers who are also
    treated unfairly may have a claim, too.

So from that it could be reasonably argued that by not providing extra time, or by pursuing you for overstaying due to breastfeeding you are being unfairly discriminated against
    From the Plain Language Commission:

"The BPA has surely become one of the most socially dangerous organisations in the UK"
  • Kimberalex
    Options
    Do you think that it is worth sending that to home bargains head? Which can is this Morris.

Or to parking eye? They still have not responded but I don't think they will take on board what I have said.

I'm a bit upset I've explained to my oh our baby needed feeding nowhere in home bargains has anywhere for me to feed her
  • Kimberalex
    Options
    Dear Mr Morris,

I have previously contacted a member of your staff from home bargains relating to a parking fine given by an agent that you employ.

My fianc!e is the registered keeper but I am the main driver having three small children one of those with reflux I do need the car more so drove it more.

I entered the car park on the 8th of October in the Jarrow store, me and my mum shop weekly in this store as we love it, we have always parked in the car park no problems.

On this occasion I had my 3 children with me one being my 4 month old. My children love to take their time in picking craft items and I in kitchenware and baby section I was in the store for 1 hour 15 minutes approx, until my 4 month old got hungry. Since your store has nowhere suitable for me to breastfeed I had to go in my car, to which I settled my children packed up the car with her pram and started to feed a hysterical baby.

She has severe reflux so takes a while to feed as she's also a slow breastfeeder and also has to have medicine given to her.

After eventually getting her settled this took me over 15 minutes of the allocated time in the car park this was completely out of my hands.

I now feel that because I wasn't provided with extra time or because I overstayed I feel I am being harassed and discriminated against under the equality act by parking eye whom as an agency are employed by home bargains.

I feel it is unfair as there is no option to pay for extra time either. I am now plagued by anxiety and upset over this for something that was completely out of my control. I feel I cannot visit home bargains jarrow since this has occurred incase of my baby needing feeding and over stay the time.

I have already contacted home bargains contact email and I was told to contact parking eye, which I have to no avail. So I am appealing to you under the law of agency that you are liable for the actions of parking eye.

Kind regards
  • Fruitcake
    Fruitcake Posts: 58,231 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 26 December 2015 at 11:35AM
    Options
    You don't necessarily have to include everything about your other children, but certainly you have covered the main points about breastfeeding your littlest one.

I would suggest however that you clarify the point about the equality act by referring to it as the Equality Act 2010, then adding the text from Half-way's post.

If you get nowhere, Fakebook, Twitter, local and national press are available for you to comment upon.

Since you have now appealed, you have no need to worry. You will either get a cancellation or a PoPLA code. The latter will give you plenty of time to formulate a solid PoPLA appeal with the help of the regulars here.

Basically, don't panic, you won't be paying anything.
    I married my cousin. I had to...
    I don't have a sister. :D
    All my screwdrivers are cordless.
    "You're Safety Is My Primary Concern Dear" - Laks
  • Kimberalex
    Options
    Thank you fruitcake for your reassurance I have so much to deal with this is just panicking me
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure