PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

My best leftover dish

2»

Comments

• Lotus-eater
    Lotus-eater Posts: 10,789 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Bronnie wrote: »
    Do you mean you mixed this altogether to make one dish?

I don't think I could face them that way, personally!! I'd be more than happy to heat up the leftover shepherds pie and Indian takeaway separately and serve with the rice and a plate of sliced fried sausage and have a pick and mix type meal, but the prospect of mixing them all up together in one dish.....ooohhhh! I just couldn't!!

BTW OP are you male? Some of the the teenage boys I work with pile up their plates at meal-breaks with the "Oh well, it all goes down the same way idea!!!!!!!"

Leftovers from meals, I tend to eat as they are my lunch the next day, supplementing with bread or a bit of veg or salad, if there's not enough.
    Yes of course all in one dish! Saves heating costs :)
    I was a bit worried about it, but I needn't have been, it was lovely. Yes I am male, long way off being a teenager though :p
    Freedom is not worth having if it does not include the freedom to make mistakes.
  • Bronnie
    Bronnie Posts: 4,165 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Yes of course all in one dish! Saves heating costs :)
    I was a bit worried about it, but I needn't have been, it was lovely. Yes I am male, long way off being a teenager though :p

Aww! Why were you worried? Was it about the reheated meat from the four day old Shepherds Pie that you were going to reheat again? Or were you worried about getting the blend of spices just right? :p

"All goes down the same way"..... "saves on heating costs".........what about "less washing up" too.........coming from a family of mostly females, the straightforwardness and clarity of male thinking is soooo refreshing sometimes!!

:rotfl:
  • Lotus-eater
    First Post Combo Breaker
    I was a bit worried about my delicate taste buds :D the delicate spice mix that you talk about, was solved by judicious throwing of garam masala and pepper into the mix, also works very well with bubble and squeak btw.
    The shepherds pie was a completely different taste, having a gentle mix of herbs thrown in, in abandon. Luckily it was completely drowned out by the spices in the curries. :)
    I learnt as a younger version of myself, that even if meat has gone over a bit, it's fine if cooked well. That is why curries were invented anyway IIRC, to hide the taste of gone over meat.
    Freedom is not worth having if it does not include the freedom to make mistakes.
  • CCP
    CCP Posts: 5,061 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    I learnt as a younger version of myself, that even if meat has gone over a bit, it's fine if cooked well. That is why curries were invented anyway IIRC, to hide the taste of gone over meat.

I always thought that was just a rumour made up by racists, as 'proof' of how disgusting other races were. :confused: (:o Before I really offend you, I should point out that I don't think for one moment that you personally believe anything of the kind - I just thought that's where that story came from.)

I'm not sure that cooking and eating 'gone over' meat is ever a good idea, no matter how well disguised the flavour is - it sounds to me like a good recipe for food poisoning. Maybe I'm just being over cautious, though! :)
  • Lotus-eater
    First Post Combo Breaker
    I don't see how it's racist to see that if a country is really hot then the meat will go over really quickly.
    But then maybe I've got the story wrong, I've always understood it to be true.
    I've always eaten meat that is a little long in the tooth, I've only ever been ill from undercooked meat. Not saying everyone should do it though.
  • CCP
    I've been Money Tipped!
    I think the racist bit isn't so much that meat will go off quicker (as you say, that's just common sense) but the suggestion that Indian people will happily eat rotten meat if it's covered in spices.

But it's entirely possible that you're right and I'm wrong - I'm quite happy to be corrected if that's the case!
  • The only time I have ever had food poisoning was from undercooked chicken at a barbecue - I realised too late - and I've always followed my mother's habits of reheating things very very well. Of course if I was cooking for somebody very young, very old, pregnant or with health problems, I wouldn't take any chances, but I would definitely join Lotus for his mad cottage pie...
  • huston_kw
    huston_kw Posts: 552 Forumite
    ubamother wrote: »
    Sunday Lunch soup - all the veg, stock/gravy, roasties, meat scraps from a roast dinner, processed a bit if I feel the urge and heated through - my favourite Monday lunch

Oh I will have to try this sounds yummy, thanks never even thought of this normally do bubble & squeak
  • Lotus-eater
    First Post Combo Breaker
    CCP wrote: »
    I think the racist bit isn't so much that meat will go off quicker (as you say, that's just common sense) but the suggestion that Indian people will happily eat rotten meat if it's covered in spices.

But it's entirely possible that you're right and I'm wrong - I'm quite happy to be corrected if that's the case!
    I've just been and found out, out of interest.
    The spices have been used in the east for countless years, but it was the British army that used them to disguise the local gone off meat. If that was because that's all the army could get, or because that's all the army decided to feed their troops, is up for review. Probably the latter IMO.

So happily nothing to do with Indian people eating rancid meat :)
  • CCP
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Thanks, Lotus-eater - that's really interesting. I'll have to drop that into the conversation next time I go out for a curry with friends! (Possibly after we've eaten though, in case it puts people off their food! :D)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure