Vodafone Group Plc
    Vodafone House
    The Connection
    Newbury
    Berkshire
    RG14 2FN
  • moty1984
    Options
    City slicker did you end up cancelling because of the data charges. Would it be as simple as yes you have the right to cancel or no you don't reply from vodafone?
  • 4$£&*(£$&*(!
    Options
    moty1984 wrote: »
    City slicker did you end up cancelling because of the data charges. Would it be as simple as yes you have the right to cancel or no you don't reply from vodafone?

The data charges for me would have been higher than 10% increase if month on month I could prove I would be worse off. In my letter I stated how much data I had used for the previous three months, I told them how much I would pay more under the new scheme, I told them what percentage this was then I quoted the clause reference (I think from memory it is clause 11.2) that I had the right to cancel, therefore here is my cancellation notice and please send me my PAC.
  • moty1984
    Options
    The data charges for me would have been higher than 10% increase if month on month I could prove I would be worse off. In my letter I stated how much data I had used for the previous three months, I told them how much I would pay more under the new scheme, I told them what percentage this was then I quoted the clause reference (I think from memory it is clause 11.2) that I had the right to cancel, therefore here is my cancellation notice and please send me my PAC.

Ill give that a go then although it maybe a little harder for me as ive only been with them 2 months.i know its going to affect my tarrif more than 10% and like I said the £5 for 500mb out of data charge was one reason why I joined vodafone.
  • lyndseyplastic
    Options
    Hello Lyndsey,

Thank you for contacting Vodafone customer service.

I understand your concern regarding the cancellation of your contract.

As mentioned in our section 7 of our terms and condition, the tarriff charges can be increased by giving notification of 14 days.

You can check the terms and conditions by following the links mentioned below.

I have checked in our system that the price change will not effect your bill by more than 10%.

I would like to inform you that cancellation cannot be actioned on the basis of change in allowances, the change should be on the entire bill.

I would suggest you to check your bill after the price plan change and if it is more than 10% , then we shall look into the matter.

I trust this information is helpful to you.

- This was my reply to the email i sent, Vodafone are trying to make out that them increasing the amount of usuage from 500mb to 250mb, that it does not affect the terms & conditions.
    I still dont think anyone there has a clue of what there going on about.

My reply to that email... was this:

I have received a reply to my first email regarding the changes that are taking place on the 11th of october.
    I am unhappy with response.

As it states in 11b of the terms & conditions, if any changes are made that affect your USAGE by more than 10% of your previous bill, I have been informed to work this out of my August bill, therefore the fact you are decreasing the amount of internet usage for £5 from 500mb to 250mb, if these new changes where in effect in august i would have been charged an extra £5 and 10% of my bill is only £3.50 therefore the changes do effect me.

If you are unwilling to stand by your terms & conditions, I am more than prepared to seek legal advice.

- Anyone got any advice?

Thanks
  • lyndseyplastic
    Options
    This was the 2nd part to my response email to them.

This is part 2 of a previous email.
    I have looked through the terms & conditions
    And as stated in section 7
    b) If such changes are to your significant disadvantage you may have a right to end this agreement under clause 11b.
    The changes in place would be of significant disadvantage to me, due to almost every month i go over my internet allowance.
    Please look back at all my bills.
    July bill, number ending 055 went over there internet allowance by £25 if the new charges where in place, that would have cost me £50, which an 87% increase.
    This is a significant disadvantage to myself.
    The reason I stayed with vodafone when i upgraded was because of the internet allowance, and now you have changed this to disadvantage your customers, this is unfair under the office of fair trading and I will be seeking legal advice if you refuse to stand by your terms & conditions.
  • buscape
    buscape Posts: 874 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 10 October 2011 at 1:11AM
    Options
    Here's a template latter to cancel your contract with Vodafone. This is for data charges but I'm sure with a few tweaks it could be used for call charges as well - maybe one of the MSE staff could have a look?

(Your Address)

Customer Relations
    Vodafone Group plc
    Vodafone House
    The Connection
    Newbury
    Berkshire
    RG14 2FN

(date)

Notice of Termination of Vodafone Contract
    Phone number – (insert your mobile number)
    Account number (insert your account number)

To whom it may concern

An announcement posted by a Vodafone administrator on the Vodafone eForums on 6th September 2011 states that Vodafone intends to increase Out Of Bundle charging for Pay Monthly customers from 11th October 2011 - the announcement can be found at httpCOLON//tinyDOTcc/6abu7. Under §15.d of the pay monthly airtime agreement, I recognise this announcement as official notice of these charges. When I started the contract with you on the (insert date of contract start) out of bundle data charges were £5 per 500Mb. Out of bundle data will now be charged at £5 per 250Mb from the 11th October 2011.

The net result is that the price of out of bundle data will be doubling and I believe that I will be at a Significant Disadvantage as a result, as outlined in §11.b of the pay monthly airtime agreement which states;

11. Ending this agreement

b) You may end this agreement by writing to us if:

we increase your charges in the UK which have the effect of increasing your total charges (based on your usage in the previous month) by more than 10% and you write to us before the increase applies;

I therefore wish to cancel my contract without penalty, which is my right as outlined in §11.b of my pay monthly airtime agreement. The announcement requires “proof of why [you] think your bill will be increased by more than 10%”, which I will provide below.

On my last bill (insert invoice number) (insert data usage from that bill) of data/mobile browsing was used. Should I use this amount of data/mobile browsing after your new out of bundle charges are imposed, my bill will increase by (insert amount).

Given that the last bill (before VAT) was for (insert amount of last bill before VAT), this would increase my total charges to (insert amount) (before VAT) which is an increase of (insert percentage) and in excess of the 10% stated in clause 11b above (a 10% increase on (amount of last bill) is (insert amount of last bill plus 10%)
    §11.b of the pay monthly airtime agreement states I may end my agreement if such changes cause Significant Disadvantage.

There is clear evidence of you cancelling contracts under this clause in the airtime conditions on the Vodafone support forums and other outlets and I therefore reject as unfair your attempt to artificially limit the right to cancel in some scenarios and not others in the face of the clear legislation and regulatory guidance and Ofcoms General Conditions which states:

9.3 Where the Communications Provider intends to modify a condition in a contract with a Consumer which is likely to be of material detriment to the Consumer, the Communications Provider shall:
    (a) provide the Consumer with at least one month’s notice of its intention detailing the proposed modification; and
    (b) inform the Consumer of the ability to terminate the contract without penalty if the proposed modification is not acceptable to the Consumer

With that in mind, please terminate my contract without penalty and provide me with my PAC code.

Yours sincerely

(name)

Fill in the bits that say (insert......) with your own data and change the URL that links to the Vodafone announcement. You will need your last bill as this will form the basis of the letter and you will have to do a bit of maths to work out the percentage increase in your bill and other things as well.

Make sure you email the letter to the Chief Exec (guy.laurence@vodafone.com) and send a copy to the address above recorded delivery so as to avoid any of the 'we haven't received your letter' rubbish they're likely to come up with. If it's signed for, it's very difficult for them to deny receiving it.

Remember. you can only use this letter if your bill will increase by 10% or more as a result of the price increases.
  • buscape
    buscape Posts: 874 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 26 September 2011 at 2:39AM
    Options
    double post, sorry!
  • kmp1988
    Options
    Thanks for the brilliant template! It'll be just my luck that they won't make my bill available til the 11th - I usually get it between the 10th and 12th - when it'll be too late to send it. I'll send a generic letter asking them to contact me about it in the hopes that the bill will be up online by the time they phone, and I can quote calculations to them instead.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure