PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

The Bookworm's Thread 2017

Comments

• greentiger
    greentiger Posts: 2,406 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Wednesday2000 said, "I've seen the film, very weird and very violent as I remember!"

I just couldn't follow the plot and I didn't find the pictures helpful! At least I discovered that graphic novels are probably not for me.
    Sewing 46/COLOR]Woollies 6Card s 17Reading 11/40
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Second book of the year for me:

517R6YWiPbL._SX313_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

6.5/10. A collection of short stories that I didn't particularly enjoy although I'd heard great things about the author. By the 5th story I noted a common theme: the relationships the characters were in were lesbian. Nothing graphic, just depicted as the norm rather than heterosexual relationships - but this detail added nothing to the story plots! Oh well, got to kiss some frogs and all that...
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • VALM
    VALM Posts: 5,829 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Finished A Street Cat Called Bob last night. Beautiful book. Have no desire to watch the film however did look Bob up on YouTube. May read some of the others.

I received Girl Unknown by Karen Perry fir Christmas so will start that today.
    Back for the No Buying Toiletries challenge. I pledge to only buy when I run out of a product that is not already in my stash no matter what wonderful emails land in in my Inbox or threads I read on MSE re: glitches!

SPC Member 046
    £2. Challenge member 55
  • Finished my first book of the year - The Long Earth by Terry Pratchett and Stephen Baxter. I've had my eye on this series for a while and it didn't disappoint! I've got the next one on my shelf, but I'll probably go for something else first. I've sorted through my shelves and set aside a few books that I might read once and then get rid of, so I think I'll have a go at one of those.
  • VfM4meplse
    I finished book 3 this afternoon:

17471016._UY200_.jpg

8/10. I like the writing style, very witty and low on detail so much is left to the imagination. I am convinced it was set in Thailand or possibly Malaysia, according to Wiki its Pakistan so its anyone's guess really :D

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • Art_Deco
    Art_Deco Posts: 188 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic
    Syman wrote: »
    both very good books. "I let you go" is the better of the two in my opinion
    Finished "The girl on the train " last night agree with you on this, enjoyed it though and it helped having the 3 main characters names on the page if you know what i mean, less confusing, Next 2 on the List ," No place to die" and "Never look back" Both by Clare Donoghue set in South London, look like good reads.:)
  • *Margaret*
    *Margaret* Posts: 142 Forumite
    Managed to get to the library at the end of last week and picked up a few books. I've finished the first one which was Angela Marson's Silent Scream.

510HR4HwbRL.jpg

It was quite an easy read and the characters were well developed although I must admit I'm a bit baffled by the thousands of 5 star reviews it's got online as I didn't think it was as well written as it might have been. If you like thrillers with twists then this is probably worth a read.
    Save
    Save
  • kitty5
    kitty5 Posts: 60 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 8 January 2017 at 8:17PM
    Hi there all

Would love to join you for 2017.
    My aim is to read a book a week so 52 over the year.
    I love reading but I find myself spending too much time on the Internet!!
  • VfM4meplse
    I'm not a fan of thrillers, but I listened to Vikas Swarup - The Seventh Test omnibus this afternoon and it's quite gripping. Great to listen to as I was doing some mindless paperwork.

Next episode next week I think, I'll post the linky when I find it (usually available for 30 days after broadcast).

• Good evening,
    Would love to join in with this, I have been reading the same book for ages now, I just can't find time to sit down.
    I'm reading 'We need to talk about Kevin', it's good, I'm enjoying it.
    I will aim for a book a week throughout 2017. Will concentrate on finishing this one this week as a starting point.
    Emergency Savings #73 = £1,500/£2,000
    Savings Pot £1,440.00
    Xmas 2018=£100/£300 Australia =£0.00/6000
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills