I'm in big trouble and need help

Comments

• SadGirl
    SadGirl Posts: 59 Forumite
    I pay a little over the minimum on my cards every month. I can't move anything else as no one will offer me the option. I tried to remortgage a year or so ago, but to no avail as I had too much debt for what I earnt. At least this new loan will save me a little. I have a loan finishing in may next year of £400 a month, so this will be a huge bonus for me. Maybe I should try again for a remortgage then. My mortgage is only £40K but the house I'm in is worth £180K. I would have thought I could release some equity easily, but they did not seem that keen, even to consolidate my debts.
    Half the Interest with Boo : Barclaycard £4765.64 May 2007
  • Emmzi
    Emmzi Posts: 8,658 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    SadGirl,

might be worth asking mortgagemamma or andrewsmith or homerj on the mortgage boards.. they are experienced brokers, and generally give very sensible advice on remortgaging and what might be options for you, if that would get your interest rate down.
    Debt free 4th April 2007.
    New house. Bigger mortgage. MFWB after I have my buffer cash in place.
  • SadGirl
    SadGirl Posts: 59 Forumite
    Thanks for all your advice. I'll work on my SOA tonight and post it up and see what you think. I'm really most worried about my secured loan. It seems so big! And for so long! Meanwhile...back to work!
    Half the Interest with Boo : Barclaycard £4765.64 May 2007
  • onamission_2
    onamission_2 Posts: 338 Forumite
    I completely agree about not securing unsecured debt
    post a full SOA and we'll see if you can manage it/make cuts backs etc. also a spending diary really helps!
    good on ya for posting
    total debt at lightbulb 18th April 2007:idea: £42367.60:eek: DFW Nerd No 725. DFW longhauler no 8.:rolleyes: Official DMP mutal support club member no 62.
  • hypno06
    hypno06 Posts: 32,296 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Hi there, if I have read correctly then one of the debts will be coming to an end in a year's time, freeing up £400 and making this more manageable.

So, if that is correct, we simply have to find a way of getting you through the next twelve months?

I know you will be preparing your SOA for everyone to look at, but also have a go a the snowball calculator on https://www.whatsthecost.com - this will give you an idea as to when your current debt free date is, and how this can be brought forward by carefully overpaying on only the highest rate cards.

I wouldn't normally agree with consolidating, but I understand that Egg let you make overpayments without charge, so IMHO they are one of the better ones to have, as long as you don't use the newly cleared credit card for everyday living again because this will cause you further problems.

Get ebaying and carbooting - it is amazing how much this brings in, for really very little effort. Join https://www.quidco.com to get cashback on the stuff you are using already (eg insurance, xmas shopping) and pigsback https://www.pigsback.com to get (albeit a small amount) vouchers which you can use for shopping or for treats.

Once your SOA is up, we will give as much help as we can to get you through the next 12 months, and then you will be well placed to keep up the fab work and be in control of your debts instead of them being in control of you!
    Successful women can still have their feet on the ground. They just wear better shoes. (Maud Van de Venne)
    Life begins at the end of your comfort zone (Neale Donald Walsch)
  • chevalier
    chevalier Posts: 7,937 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Welcome to the boards. We will help you all we can. I will keep an eye out for your thread tomorrow once you have put up your SOA.

Good luck with doing this
    chev
    I want a job that is less than an hour driving away from my house! Are you listening universe?
  • pavlovs_dog
    pavlovs_dog Posts: 10,199 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    SadGirl - every time you make a repayment off of your cards, contact the CC company and ask them to reduce your credit limit so it is only just above the outstanding balance.

in doing so, you are reducing the amount of credit available which will in turn imporve your credit score slightly.

also, why not post your SOA - once we've got the full picture we can help see if we can save you some money and make you debt free that bit quicker :j
    know thyself
    Nid wy'n gofyn bywyd moethus...
  • onamission_2
    onamission_2 Posts: 338 Forumite
    getting back on topic. Sadgirl do post an SOA. Folk on these boards are v. helpful....:)
    total debt at lightbulb 18th April 2007:idea: £42367.60:eek: DFW Nerd No 725. DFW longhauler no 8.:rolleyes: Official DMP mutal support club member no 62.
  • Dithering_Dad
    Dithering_Dad Posts: 4,554 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    onamission wrote: »
    getting back on topic. Sadgirl do post an SOA. Folk on these boards are v. helpful....:)

Have a read of SouthernScousers' sticky that's at the top of the Debt Free Wannabe board for info on how to do an SOA and I'd also advise that you post on a new thread with something like "SAD GIRL'S SOA" so that people know exactly what you're asking for.

As I said earlier, you won't struggle to notice which are the proper DFW helpers.

p.s. Pavlovs_dog - Agreed on the fact that everyone was a beginner at one point so allowances should be made, hence my apology at the start of my first post to Jan stating that I'm sorry if she is really trying to help...

However, when someone starts posting their phone numbers, tries to intimidating other posters by send PM's and then starts spouting religion at you (all in the space of her initial four posts!!), it does tend to make you think that they're not exactly on the level. :rotfl:
    Mortgage Free in 3 Years (Apr 2007 / Currently / Δ Difference)
    [strike]● Interest Only Pt: £36,924.12 / £ - - - - 1.00 / Δ £36,923.12[/strike] - Paid off! Yay!! :)
    ● Home Extension: £48,468.07 / £44,435.42 / Δ £4032.65
    ● Repayment Part: £64,331.11 / £59,877.15 / Δ £4453.96
    Total Mortgage Debt: £149,723.30 / £104,313.57 / Δ £45,409.73
  • MoaningMyrtle
    MoaningMyrtle Posts: 1,968 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Hi Sadgirl,

Welcome to MSE, it's a great site. Anyway four years ago we were in the same boat as you, could not remortgage as we had borrowed our maximum, we had never defaulted on our mortgage.

We were desperate and obtained a secured loan, from a bank (non High Street), we also negotiated with our CC companies and have a repayment plan with them. It's been bloody hard, but our debt is gradually reducing and we still have our house.

BettiePage, it is usually against forum rules to post PM's.
    A minute at the till, a lifetime on the bill.

Nothing tastes as good as being slim feels.

one life, live it!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport