PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

How long does a butternut squash keep?

Comments

• AlwaysHappy
    AlwaysHappy Posts: 1,506 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Thanks so much for all the replies, it doesn't look as if its changed texture so looks like thats at least one more meal taken care of!!
    I'm not a failure if I don't make it, I'm a success because I :tried!
  • newlywed
    newlywed Posts: 8,255 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    PixiePie wrote: »
    Make soup (from raw ie not roast first) (1 squash, 2 leeks, 2 carrots, 2litres stock, cumin and coriander - simmer for about 1 hour (we like ours really squishy, probably could get away with 35 mins if you chunk small), bung in a tablespoon of red lentils 30 mins before the end, then cool for 10 mins and blend) (we love this with seedy bready and a dash of chipotle tabasco sauce on top)

sounds yum. Just decided what to do with the bnut squash that's been sat for 3 weeks in the kitchen :D
    working on clearing the clutterDo I want the stuff or the space?
  • I've grown up on all sorts of squash and from experience, they can keep for up to 4 months if they are kept in a cold and dark place.

I do so many different dishes with butternut squash - I do soup, mash, rissotto, roasted squash - and loads loads more!
  • AlwaysHappy
    I bought a butternut squash in December (when they were on offer at aldi for 69p), totally forgot about it until came across it in the cupboard just now. Looks ok, but don't want to roast it, waste the electricity and it be off - how can i tell if its ok?
    Many thanks Always Happy.
  • I have made a butternut squash rissotto tonight with my last one that I grew in the summer.
    I'm certain yours won't be off.
  • so long as it's not "squashable" you'll be fine :D
    Nonny mouse and Proud!!
    Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level then beat you with experience
    !!
    Debtfightingdivaextraordinaire!!!!
    Amor et metus. Lac? Sugar? Quisque massa vel duo? (stolen from a lovely forumite!)

• If it goes off it will just be the skin that goes off first, or a bit of mould will grow on the nobbly bit... Even when it does this its still usually firm inside!

If you wanted to be sure though couldn't you cut in half and roast like that?
  • meritaten
    meritaten Posts: 24,158 Forumite
    you would be able to tell by the skin! if it looks ok on the outside its fine inside! honestly hun, I have used them after months of storage and they have been perfectly edible.
  • AlwaysHappy
    crikey guys, thanks for the amazing quick replies, am off to shove it in the oven now ...... yum yum (hopefully!).
  • You can also nibble a slither of it raw - if it tastes off, it's off, otherwise it should be fine.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure