Very catalogue not responding - what now?

Comments

• timbstoke
    timbstoke Posts: 987
    First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Agricolae wrote: »
    Very (a Shop Direct brand) are I believe covered by the Financial Ombudsman Service for this kind of thing. It may be less hassle than going to court! Give them a ring or fill out their form online.

Here's a link to a FOS decision about someone who had a similar problem:

Link

Good shout! On that basis, I'd be tempted to give them one more call before sending a LBA, and if they again refuse to accept the laptop back for a refund, use my secret magic words:

"Is this as high as I can escalate this complaint internally? I understand I need to exhaust your internal complaints process before the Financial Ombudsman will allow me to raise a case with them."

I have discovered that, when dealing with any company who have an ombudsman, uttering the incantation above seems to magically open up an additional level of escalation.
  • Starsphinx
    Starsphinx Posts: 29 Forumite
    OK just had a reply from them which reads
    Thank you for your email.

We appreciate the time that you have taken out to obtain and send us the independent report.

Unfortunately we are unable to accept the report as it does not require all the necessary information that we need.

Please make sure that the report confirms a manufacturing defect, what has caused the fault and how much it would cost to repair the item.

Once we receive the information, we will look into the matter for you.

Does anyone have a sample response/letter template I can modify to use in reply because I am now so exhausted I can barely put a simple sentence together and it is going to take me weeks to recover as it is.

Thank you for your help
  • Starsphinx
    Agricolae wrote: »
    Very (a Shop Direct brand) are I believe covered by the Financial Ombudsman Service for this kind of thing. It may be less hassle than going to court! Give them a ring or fill out their form online.

Here's a link to a FOS decision about someone who had a similar problem:

Link

That does sound similar - and same company as well. I will have another read tomorrow.
  • Ectophile
    Ectophile Posts: 7,276
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    If it was bought on credit, then Section 75 of the Consumer Credit Act should also apply.

In that case, you can make a complaint to the credit company, and ask for a refund from them. If they are unhelpful, make a formal complaint. Then,if all else fails, there's always the financial services ombudsman.
    If it sticks, force it.
    If it breaks, well it wasn't working right anyway.
  • Fosterdog
    Fosterdog Posts: 4,948
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    I'll ask again, what exactly does the report state is the actual fault and the cause?

Their latest response seems to suggest that it wasn't found to be an inherent fault by your independent report. If that is the case then they don't have to do anything for you.
  • Starsphinx
    Areas of shading are blocky and not of good quality. Sections where colours should blend or with shadows show up blocky or pixelated. Suggest cause is faulty LCD screen.

If I want them to delve further I have to prove it is a manufacture fault I have to pay more money and I do not have more money.

I was under the impression that legally if and item is not of satisfactory quality on delivery that is enough - I do not have to prove whose fault the issue is just that there is an issue which I have done.
  • DoaM
    DoaM Posts: 11,863
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    I would say your report would be sufficient for a judge to award in your favour, on the balance of probabilities. As I mentioned quite a bit earlier, you now have to get forceful/legal.
  • Wrote them to tell them I do not have to prove manufacturing fault just the existence of a fault and telling them I wanted a refund. Asked if that was their highest level internal complaints for FOS. Well that affected the speed of their response as it was hours not days but their response remained that my report was insufficient go and get a better one.

So I am going to try the FOS.
  • DoaM
    DoaM Posts: 11,863
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    Before you go to FOS you need a deadlock letter/email from them (or 8 weeks have passed since the complaint was raised).
  • naedanger
    naedanger Posts: 3,102
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Starsphinx wrote: »
    Wrote them to tell them I do not have to prove manufacturing fault just the existence of a fault and telling them I wanted a refund. Asked if that was their highest level internal complaints for FOS. Well that affected the speed of their response as it was hours not days but their response remained that my report was insufficient go and get a better one.

So I am going to try the FOS.

I suggest you explain to FOS that you bought on finance, your complaint is about Shop Direct Finance Company Limited and you have already followed their complaint process as set out here:

http://common.very.co.uk/assets/static/pluck/complaints-procedure.pdf
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport