Lloyds Internet banking - maximum daily transfer?

Hi all

I need to withdraw all my money (£40k) from my Lloyds ISA to use to buy a house. I want to BACS it to my Halifax current account, then do one CHAPS transaction from there. Can I do this using Internet banking (via my Lloyds current account if needs be) or is there a daily limit?

If the latter, what's the best way of doing this?

Suze
I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Savings & Investments, Small Biz MoneySaving and House Buying, Renting & Selling boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the Report button, or by e-mailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

Comments

• D1zzy
    D1zzy Posts: 1,500 Forumite
    edited 1 June 2009 at 12:30AM
    Daily BACS limit £10,000
    Transferring £40K on-line will take you about 2 weeks - because you cannot set up another £10K transfer until the day after the first has left your account, and then as you cannot set-up a same day transfer, it will actually be 2 days before the second transfer goes ( clear as mud?) ...and so on. No transfers at weekends and each 1 will take 3/4 days to arrive in your receiving account.

For £30ish you could also do a chaps xfer from LLoyds to Halifax
  • nicko33
    nicko33 Posts: 1,125 Forumite
    I had similar hassles with Lloyds trying to do the same thing.
    Over the phone they told me that if I went into a branch they could set up a one-off BACS for more than the phone/online limits, but when I got there the branch denied all knowledge.
    I ended up with a CHAPS (edit: £30) due to the time lost messing around

If you have time to spare - write a cheque.
  • D1zzy
    Over the phone they told me that if I went into a branch they could set up a one-off BACS for more than the phone/online limits, but when I got there the branch denied all knowledge.
    Yep -forgot about that, but had exactly the same experience
    (if you were with Natwest Suzey- you could do it online with FP in 4 days even with their 10K daily limit)
  • isofa
    isofa Posts: 6,091 Forumite
    D1zzy wrote: »
    Daily BACS limit £10,000
    Transferring £40K on-line will take you about 2 weeks - because you cannot set up another £10K transfer until the day after the first has left your account, and then as you cannot set-up a same day transfer, it will actually be 2 days before the second transfer goes ( clear as mud?) ...and so on. No transfers at weekends and each 1 will take 3/4 days to arrive in your receiving account.

For £30ish you could also do a chaps xfer from LLoyds to Halifax

It's unlikely to be the BACS limit, just the online banking limit (to protect from fraud / hackers etc). Why not go into your branch and ask for the amount to be BACS to the required account, and I doubt you'll have any problems. So that'll cost nothing and be free, or pay £20 to £30 for a CHAPS immediate movement.

Or if you have branch access to both, why not ask for a bankers draft from the LTSB account and pay into the Halifax, 4 days to clear...
  • D1zzy
    See what happened to me and nicko33 when we asked in brach for a BACS transfer - they said they could only do CHAPS!
  • isofa
    isofa Posts: 6,091 Forumite
    D1zzy wrote: »
    See what happened to me and nicko33 when we asked in brach for a BACS transfer - they said they could only do CHAPS!

That's crazy, ask to see the manager.
  • withnell
    withnell Posts: 1,629 Forumite
    Why not ring up phone banking and ask them to do a 10k Faster Payments transfer? Do that for 4 days, and you have the £40k transfered!
  • D1zzy
    edited 1 June 2009 at 4:16PM
    'cos they'll tell you you can only transfer £500 or maybe £200 (whatever - they won't tell you how much and aparently it varies from person to person)

....that was a couple of months ago, but maybe its changed now.
  • D1zzy
    isofa wrote: »
    That's crazy, ask to see the manager.
    - It was the manager I asked....
  • Swipe
    Swipe Posts: 5,085 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    How about bankers draft? Half the price of chaps.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure