PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Preparing for Winter V

Comments

• Rummer
    Rummer Posts: 6,550 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Eenymeeny wrote: »
    I'm a fairly recent convert to cardigans. (A couple of thick, good quality ones purchased from charity shops have proved invaluable) I remember my mother telling me years ago that cardigans were much better as they could be taken on and off so easily. Did I listen? No, but you were right (again!) Mum.:)

I love cardigans as it means I can continue wearing most of my summer wardrobe with the addition of a cardigan and tights. Plus I rarely find jumpers that are a flattering shape.
    Taking responsibility one penny at a time!
  • *Twinkle*
    *Twinkle* Posts: 352 Forumite
    duplicate post
    Skint, but happy (ish):p
  • *Twinkle*
    *Twinkle* Posts: 352 Forumite
    bossymoo wrote: »
    We are preparing for a trip to Finnish Lapland this winter :T so among the excitement I need to ensure we have adequate layers and head / hand gear! We are provided with thermal suits and boots, but not hats, mitts, and base layers.

I really struggle with hats, I must have a big head (well, I think the bushy hair doesn't help!) but I can never seem to get a well fitting one. Anyway, I found (on eBeast) some polar fleece hood / snood things. They can be worn in different ways, and even have a layer that can be pulled up to protect the nose and mouth. So I got two kiddies ones as well. They can even layer over hats so if the temp really drops we should be ok.

I also have some socks that have a tog rating :D although they didn't do kiddy sizes. I figure they can each wear cotton ones with thick welly socks over the top.

I'm also taking lots of spare mitts in case we get wet!

How exciting!
    take lots of spare socks, we went last year and the snow was soooo deep it came over our boots!
    Skint, but happy (ish):p
  • Dragonette I can highly recommend this

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/WINDOW-INSULATION-KIT-DRAUGHT-EXCLUDER-SHRINK-FIT-DOUBLE-GLAZING-PLASTIC-FILM-/300979339768?hash=item4613c441f8

I used to have single glazed windows that ran with condensation all of the time and this worked wonders. Easy to fit, and won't leave any damage to the windows when you go.

Thank you :) I actually tried this last year but only got a few windows done before I essentially collapsed for the next 6 months. I may ask for help to get the upper windows covered. It really does help but I made a right hash of a job of it. Thank you for the reminder
    :AStarting again on my own this time!! - Defective flylady! :A
  • mum2one
    mum2one Posts: 16,279 Forumite
    Xmas Saver!
    bossymoo wrote: »
    We are preparing for a trip to Finnish Lapland this winter :T so among the excitement I need to ensure we have adequate layers and head / hand gear! We are provided with thermal suits and boots, but not hats, mitts, and base layers.

I really struggle with hats, I must have a big head (well, I think the bushy hair doesn't help!) but I can never seem to get a well fitting one. Anyway, I found (on eBeast) some polar fleece hood / snood things. They can be worn in different ways, and even have a layer that can be pulled up to protect the nose and mouth. So I got two kiddies ones as well. They can even layer over hats so if the temp really drops we should be ok.

I also have some socks that have a tog rating :D although they didn't do kiddy sizes. I figure they can each wear cotton ones with thick welly socks over the top.

I'm also taking lots of spare mitts in case we get wet!

How exciting!

Your all love it, I took DD in 2012, it was amazing...when we were there the weather dropped to minus 40.

I brought the thermals for dd, but I wouldnt bother again, its better to layer light, - what I did was tshirt under jumper, pair of leggings under trousers.

Socks - I got some fluffy ones, we used to wear 3 pairs, gloves def take a spare pair, - dry off in the room.

---
    One thing to be weary of is the price of drinks / snacks. Your looking 7 to euros for a hot chocolate.

Camera - take plenty of spare batteries as the cold drains the life quicker from them xx
    xx rip dad... we had our ups and downs but we’re always be family xx
  • Callisto
    Callisto Posts: 928 Forumite
    I've read all of this thread over the last few days, very interesting and helpful ideas. There's just me and the dog and the dog hasn't shown much interest in winter prep so far, although she does very much like the new soft throw I've recently bought for the sofa!

I moved into this mid terrace house at the beginning of last December, it's all electric with storage heaters. I was fine through last winter with the living room storage heater on, and also the hall storage heater through the coldest part of winter. However, I was not fine when the electric bill for that quarter came through, almost £350! I won't be making that mistake again - living room storage heater will only be switched on if bitterly cold and the others will stay firmly off! I have recently applied to switch electric provider, so need to chase this up as will be considerably cheaper than current provider.

For this winter, I have so far bought an oil filled radiator, a halogen heater, an electric blanket, sofa throw, quilted bed throw and thermal socks. I already have an assortment of blankets, a convector heater upstairs and the curtains over the patio doors and front door are lined. I also have a draught excluder at the bottom of the front door. I have bought a few extra tins of rice pudding and soup and cartons of UHT milk with the weekly shop.

I'd never even considered prepping the car before reading this thread! I already have a torch and a digital tyre inflator, but will definitely get a car kit sorted.

Still to get/do:

Sort out a car kit
    Bedroom curtains need lining
    Stock up on bulbs/batteries/candles/medicines
    Get a spare coat for the dog
    Stock up on tinned dog food (have already bought 12kg of dry food)
    Get a thermal vest
    Get a spare torch for hallway

If there is a power cut, I won't be able to cook or keep warm, so if the roads are ok, would need to drive to parents house as they have a wood burner. If the roads are not ok, there are a couple of shops and cafes within walking distance and could go and sit in the library for warmth.
  • greenbee
    greenbee Posts: 16,121 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    We used to have a lot of powercuts, so I had a portable gas ring (borrowed from my brother) for emergency cooking and making hot water bottles!
  • Jo4
    Jo4 Posts: 6,819 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    greenbee wrote: »
    We used to have a lot of powercuts, so I had a portable gas ring (borrowed from my brother) for emergency cooking and making hot water bottles!

We have lots of power cuts too, that is why hubby insists on us having a gas cooker. The electric was off last month and it was very useful.
  • Rummer
    Rummer Posts: 6,550 Forumite
    We have had frozen pipes before so I always have a few (10) bottles of cheap supermarket water in the house just incase.
    Taking responsibility one penny at a time!
  • babyblooz
    babyblooz Posts: 1,122 Forumite
    What are people's thoughts on what this winter has in store? I know some reports of bad weather are scaremongering to sell newspapers but there do seem to be lots of people saying its going to be a bad one this year.

There's an awful lot of berries on all the trees too and I've heard that that is supposed to herald a long winter - but isn't that just folklore?
    :hello: :wave: please play nicely children !
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback