Please note: The Auto-enrolment sub-board is now closed. If you have a question around pensions, please post in the Pensions, Annuities and Retirement Planning board.

NHS pension

Would I have made contributions to a NHS pension from 1985-2000, when I worked part time?

Comments

• HappyHarry
    HappyHarry Posts: 1,576 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Probably, but no one here will know for sure.

Call the NHS pensions team, with your NI number to hand, and they will be able to tell you.

https://www.nhsbsa.nhs.uk/member-hub/members-contact-us
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser. Any comments I make here are intended for information / discussion only. Nothing I post here should be construed as advice. If you are looking for individual financial advice, please contact a local Independent Financial Adviser.
  • Thank you.
    I have contacted them and they say that they cannot find any contributions before 1992, which seems odd to me.
  • hyubh
    hyubh Posts: 3,531 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    NannaJ wrote: »
    I have contacted them and they say that they cannot find any contributions before 1992, which seems odd to me.

I haven't looked up historic NHS scheme rules specifically, but in general part timers were not traditionally eligible for final salary schemes (including public sector ones) until a European ruling in the early 90s changed covering legislation to force them to be.
  • RADDERS
    RADDERS Posts: 241 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    I worked part time in the late 80 s and early 90 s and remember not being allowed to join the pension scheme unless you were full time.

When the EU regulations came in the company we worked for offered us to either make the payments for the missed years when part time or you could have an amount of compensation

At the time I never envisaged working for the company for any length of time so took the money, 25 years later I realised the error that I had made :eek:
  • andy001
    andy001 Posts: 119 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    If I!!!8217;m right: The enrolment in NHS pension was not compulsory then hence you may not have been in the scheme unless you asked to join !
    I'm not a Financial advisor.
    Please seek independent financial advice.
  • Kynthia
    Kynthia Posts: 5,666 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 25 February 2018 at 11:13AM
    Do you have any statements, payslips, P60s, etc from that period of time? Have you checked your National Insurance record to see what years you were contracted out, and therefore likely to have been enrolled in a pension scheme?
    Don't listen to me, I'm no expert!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport