Did Aquacard just damaged my credit rating? Please help

Hi,
Aquacard recently changed their own bank account numbers. Due to that my DD was reversed, as apparently some banks did not accept their new number. They asked me to call my bank (First direct) to ask if they can update Aqua's new account number (!?) I told Aqua representative that it is their job not mine, but he insisted to try, so I did. Lady in bank told me what I thought that it is their fault and they have to sort it out with bank, not me, because it is DD we are talking about, not standing order. After making 5 phone calls finally I paid over the phone (full balance like I always do) and I got my unpaid Direct Debit fee £12 reverted and was assured that my cashback and everything else it is not affected.
Yesterday (14 days after the issue) £6.90 interest appeared on my statement. I phoned them today and got told it will be given back to me.
My question is would that have any influence on my credit rating?
First unpaid DD for approx. 4 days and now interest charged so obviously although they reverted the unpaid DD fee, they still had in the system like I did not pay it on time.
I asked that question to First Direct employee and she said DD was not even requested by the Aquacard from them on the correct date, so it would not affect my credit rating, because apparently bank would have to report unpaid DD to credit agency and not credit card company. Not even sure it this is true. With interests charged Aqua representative said "no, I do not think it would affect your credit rating because it was only one off and not persistent"(!!!??)
She should not even say it was one off, because it was nothing to do with me!
Now my wife's payment on her card is soon due and I am dreading she will have to go through the same.
Please help.

Comments

• If Aqua have reported a missed payment to the CRA's then 'yes', if they haven't then 'no'.

You need to ask Aqua exactly how they have viewed and recorded that months payment.
    Good luck as their Customer Service is about as poor as it gets.
  • InsideInsurance
    InsideInsurance Posts: 22,460 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    It will all depend on when you paid the payment relative to their reporting cycle to the CRAs.

The info that goes to them is simply a snapshot at a single point in time. You can do all sorts of things between the reporting cycles but generally as long as the accounts in good standing when they do their reporting then everything comes across as good.

Only really Aqua can tell you what they're doing before it happens. Certainly when RBS/NW had all their problems last year they didnt report to the CRAs for that month.
  • Have Aqua changed their bank account, I always pay mine by faster payments, however they Have not informed me of a change of bank account, I'll be paying my next bill this week so could do with clarification.
    I hate football and do wish people wouldn't keep talking about it like it's the most important thing in the world
  • Just called Aqua, many thanks to the OP for bringing this subject up, it appears they have changed their bank account, though unless you pay by the giro on the statement, chances are you'd never notice.
    I hate football and do wish people wouldn't keep talking about it like it's the most important thing in the world
  • matty747
    matty747 Posts: 78 Forumite
    The only way to find out is to check your credit report with the credit reference agency, if it shows as a late payment then you would have grounds to make a complaint and get the information changed as it was not your fault. I would put any complaint in writing as they have a duty to respond properly rather than fob you off.
    Make £10 a day challenge in Feb £325.82/£280
    March £78/£310
  • matty747
    matty747 Posts: 78 Forumite
    The problem is Aqua and not first direct. It is up to Aqua to request the direct debit properly.
    Make £10 a day challenge in Feb £325.82/£280
    March £78/£310
  • The_Boss
    The_Boss Posts: 5,849 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Just called Aqua, many thanks to the OP for bringing this subject up, it appears they have changed their bank account, though unless you pay by the giro on the statement, chances are you'd never notice.

Is there an issue with direct debits then? I'm a bit alarmed by the original post.
  • red98
    red98 Posts: 23 Forumite
    What are the new account details for aqua then? I've got 80-20-45 00213765 from my June statement which I assume are the old ones.
  • eldaniel
    eldaniel Posts: 254 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Only really Aqua can tell you what they're doing before it happens. Certainly when RBS/NW had all their problems last year they didnt report to the CRAs for that month.

Aqua rep admitted that issue affected customers in few banks. He said that most of the banks accepted the change of their account without any issue. Logically thinking they should do the same action like RBS/NW if they aware they could damage so many ppl credit rating. I am so frustrated...
    Have Aqua changed their bank account, I always pay mine by faster payments, however they Have not informed me of a change of bank account, I'll be paying my next bill this week so could do with clarification.
    When they updated the website and asked everyone to re-register that is when apparently they changed their bank account number. Apparently issue affected customers of selected banks, so they say...
    You need to ask Aqua exactly how they have viewed and recorded that months payment.
    Good luck as their Customer Service is about as poor as it gets.

I asked over the phone which CRA they are reporting to. Guy on the phone told me he can't disclose it... I already managed to find out that their customer service is complete rubbish, to say it politely. I guess I will have to follow in writing.
  • eldaniel
    eldaniel Posts: 254 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    The_Boss wrote: »
    Is there an issue with direct debits then? I'm a bit alarmed by the original post.
    I spoke with 5 different advisers from the bank, due to the fact that most of the were useless. Couple of them mentioned that they are having some issues with some of the banks.

matty747 wrote: »
    The only way to find out is to check your credit report with the credit reference agency, if it shows as a late payment then you would have grounds to make a complaint and get the information changed as it was not your fault. I would put any complaint in writing as they have a duty to respond properly rather than fob you off.

The problem is Aqua and not first direct. It is up to Aqua to request the direct debit properly.

Absolutely agree Matty, but they won't even tell me which CRA the submit the info to. Why on earth I have to pay to each CRA to check for mistakes if it is caused by them. I understand that in the end that is what I will probably have to do anyway, but for now I am planning to write them a letter to request an explanation of the problem and how it can affect credit rating. I believe, even if it will negatively affect my credit rating then, I will have to provide them with some kind of confirmation letter from Aqua that it was not my fault.
    I can't believe something like that is happening. How irresponsible is that.

When I asked about my wife's account which is due for DD on 19/07 Aqua advised me to call my bank on that they to check if DD was requested (!?!?) So basically they are asking me to do some more job for them. Job which should be carried out 100% by them.
    Not to mention that this issue wiped out my cashback apparently and this has to be escalated to someone in Aqua. Useless woman on the phone told me that she will get it escalated and I will get confirmation in writing or email when this will be completed. When I asked her for timeframe, she could not give me any, even approx. date for that to happen. I should be receiving my cashback next month. Now not only I have to worry about my cashback, but what more important about my credit rating too. Also my wife's credit rating if the same will happen.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure