Arnold Clark *advice Please*

:mad: Ok so i've managed to calm down enough to type today but my god i want the contact details for arnold clark direct after my ordeal with a dealership over the past few week and advice from anyone on where i stand in this situation!

On july 21st my partner and i had gone into Arnold Clark Citroen in Inverness looking for our first car and were interested in the Citroen C1.. the salesman (who was the general manager) was really nice and gave us loads of info and we ended up being pretty set on the limited edition C1 Airplay (which comes with free ipod nano, ipod dock, and chrome/gloss interior) in 5 DOOR. We were told there was only one 5 door in black left and so we went in the next day to get the ball rolling. Sat in the showroom for nearly 40 minutes before we got to test drive a 3dr normal C1 and then when we got back to the showroom ordered the 5 door in black and put down £250 deposit for the car. Because it was a saturday the salesman (who wasnt the manager but some other guy) said we would get a response from the finance company on monday and he would fone then with the reg number for us.

Well the call never came on the monday and my partner called and called asking about the finance decision only to be told they wanted a further £900 deposit.. no reasons as to why just thats what they wanted. We couldnt afford this so i went on the citroen website and seen what other finance options we had available. I phoned and asked the manager (who was back from holiday) the following week for a quote for the Elect 3 finance on the car. I later found out the manager had collapsed and been taken into hospital hence no call back with a quote but was told that the salesman we dealt with would get back to us with an elect 3 quote, which he did nearly a week later. We then called him back numerous times to say we would go ahead with that finance option and got a call a few days later to say he had got our message and he would deal with it tomorrow ( how efficient eh?)

So my partner and i are getting pretty sick of calling and chasing this salesman up and this is nearly 3 weeks since our intial visit to the showroom and we got a call this week saying finance was accepted and to come and sign paperwork. My partner went in to sign the documents only to find that the absolute idiot of a salesman had unbeknowing to us ordered the 3 door Airplay and not the 5. "oh me and my memory".. ahem excuse me? so i immediately think oh great there was 1 5 door left almost a month ago when we were in i bet it wont be in stock when he tries again.... he told us on tuesday he would fone back friday and he did, only to say the 5 door models were now sold out and not to get upset about it just choose another model. :mad:

I went completely berserk.. because to me this is completely his fault, there was no talk of 3 door at all and my £250 deposit was put on a 5 door airplay and not a 3 so its complete incompetence that he ordered a 3 door. :mad:

So i go in to speak to the other manager (Colin Clarke, yes Arnolds nephew!) and he now tells me its company policy not to order a car until the finance has been accepted and its our fault that it took so long for us to finally get finance. WRONG! i had to chase the salesman up and go research finance options myself in order to get it sorted.. i then questioned him as to what the deposit was for then? afterall it seems the deposit wasnt put on the car because they dont order the car until the finance is through? so is it a deposit on finance then? as it surely doesnt secure the car you want and ORDERED! the guy just wouldnt budge and maintained its company policy and that they can no longer get us the model we want so just pick another.

I have the receipt for my deposit that states what car i ordered aswell as the order in the showroom being for a 5 door c1 airplay in black... but it seems im just no longer entitled and the salesman who ballsed this up is supposedly not to blame either. Can anyone give me advice on what to do? i want the car i ordered nearly a month ago and was assured i got the last one! unbelievablely incompetent garage and absolutely abismal customer service.. would really like to know where i stand so i can get my money back and tell them they must be joking if they think i'm continuing a sale for another car with them.

I did ask the manager if he would like me to pick another car, put a deposit down on it and wait 3 weeks for them to laze about the showroom only to tell me the car i ordered isnt available again! He didnt have much to say to that except that he wanted me to come in and look for another model.

No apologies, no car, no refund (yet) and still they continue trying to force me into purchase something a car i dont want with no explanation as to where the one i ordered has gone to!
I LOVE MSE! :money:

Comments

• soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,184 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Go to a different dealer.

I have a Citroen dealer 5 mins away from me yet last year both me and my OH bought Citroen cars from a dealer 15 miles away.

Our local dealer wanted list price for both cars which came to £31,000, he refused any discount as he said they were already discounted under the Citroen month long offer. We shopped around and eventually got both cars (same models and same colour and trim) for £24,500. Don't go to the first dealer, shop around, play them off against each other and play tough to get a huge discount.

I know it is different if you are doing the finance side as well, but that can sometimes work in your favour as you make them more commission money by taking a loan.

Oh, and just to rub salt in the wounds, both cars have needed a little bit of work under warranty, and our local garage has been obliged to do it, we didn't need to go back to the dealer we bought from.

Soo
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • Butlers1982
    Butlers1982 Posts: 3,286 Forumite
    I was getting annoyed reading the OP! i can only imagine how you felt!

DEMAND your money back and go somewhere else and make sure you tell everyone you know about this to stop people going there!

Amature Cowboys springs to mind!
  • stugib
    stugib Posts: 2,602 Forumite
    ts_aly2000 wrote:
    These car dealers are spinsters.

Never-married women?? :)
  • Eels100
    Eels100 Posts: 984 Forumite
    I can totally understand how upset you are by this - it's not like they made a mistake with a footwell mat or a cupholder or something, the number of doors is surely quite a major consideration!

I would demand your money back - write in to the Inverness Courier or something, or even better send it by email and cc it to Arnold Clark. I wrote to a dodgy tabloid complaining about Argos, and cc-ed it to Argos, and the problem was sorted within a couple of days, funnily! And definitely do not buy from them. There are plenty places in Inverness who will source you a car, or take a trip down to Perth.

Glad to hear they are to be avoided - we would have been looking there for our next car once we can get our current one repaired and sold! Not any more!

Edited to add: Tried Pedigreed Cars in Forres, or Alan Milne in Elgin?
  • MORPH3US
    MORPH3US Posts: 4,906 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Think the best advice has already been given, but make sure you let us know how you get on!!!

Very poor service though, I must say!!!

M
  • montrose5
    montrose5 Posts: 160 Forumite
    All I can say is welcome to Arnold Clark, I amongst many others have been ripped off by them. Avoid like the plague.If you Google Arnold Clark you will find a 'complaints' site (not official, it was moved to France due to legal action by it's namesake). They are a big firm with large turnover in staff(well known in the Scottish motoring industry). Previous posts are spot on, get your deposit back and walk!!!
  • Laneyboo
    Laneyboo Posts: 319 Forumite
    Thanks for the advice guys.. my partner phoned today demanding our deposit back and arnold clarks nephew was pretty much having none of it.. asking why and when my partner said it was due to the abismal customer service he said "as far i can see, we've done nothing wrong".. EXACTLY mate! you think your doing nothing wrong and thats where it all goes downhill. He refused to refund over the phone and maintains we need to go back to the dealership to discuss refund of the deposit, i presume this will involve a lengthy talk about how many offers he can do us on several cars that aren't what we ordered in the first place. I will be sighing a breath of relief when i do eventually get the deposit back and i have to say i hope people google arnold clark and come across this thread. one word of advice - AVOID!

out of interest does anyone have direct contact details for arnold clark??? ive heard people say theyve dealt with him personally but cant seem to find the contact details, only a web form on the arnold clark site and lets just say i have little faith that they will respond to that efficiently.

Eeels100 - ive contacted pedigreed! the salesman has already called me with info more times in the past few days than arnold clarks staff have in nearly a month! will have a scout around and hopefully come up with something good :)
    I LOVE MSE! :money:
  • take a look here this company are rotten to the core

http://www.arnoldclark.worldonline.co.uk/emails/otherspage.html
  • Davidboy
    Davidboy Posts: 922 Forumite
    I assume you got a receipt for the £250 deposit??!! Does it say on there it is non-refundable? or on any other paperwork you have had from them? If not they cannot keep it. Hit them with small claims court action, or threaten it anyway.

Personally speaking, I hate Citroen dealers, had a terrible expereince with them a couple of years ago. Citroen cars are a pile of pants, go elsewhere as others have suggested.

Good luck.

D
    What goes around - comes around
    give lots and you will always recieve lots
  • deanos
    deanos Posts: 11,221 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Uniform Washer
    Even if it says non refundable on the receipt if they cant offer the car that was ordered i fail to see how they can keep the money.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure