Analysing my portfolio pre retirement

13»

Comments

• bostonerimus
    bostonerimus Posts: 5,617 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post

I have wondered about us deferring state pensions as some people have said this is worthwhile but I need to look into that. I guess this is the same thing as you have in mind?

I'm in the US and when at 70.5 the US tax people require that you start making a certain minimum withdrawals from tax deferred accounts. So deferring state pension allows a few more years to spread out the tax deferred withdrawls in a lower tax band.
    “So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.”
  • ColdIron
    ColdIron Posts: 9,012 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    We have put most of the income funds in my name as we have no more ISA allowances free for this year and my husband pays tax (now basic rate) and I will pay none from next April.

As far as I am aware and I need to read up more on this the first £2000 of dividends are tax free for both of us and after that it must be declared as income. As the total income based on historical yields will be around £4000 a year we have structured it so £1000 is in my husbands name and the rest in mine to use up my tax allowance
    The dividend allowance is £5,000 for each of you this tax year and £2,000 for each of you the next. Assuming these are your only dividends then you will both have the full allowance regardless of what income tax your hubby pays on non dividend outcome. All else being equal (mainly that the dividends don't push him into higher rate tax) you might be better to split it 50/50 for dividend tax purposes from April 2018
    I will move the income yielding funds back to accumulation
    This will make no difference, you still benefit from the dividends even if you chose to retain them in your fund. You will get a tax certificate whichever way you do it detailing those dividends
  • JuSt wanted to say es i dont know much about retirement / savings etc but sounds like you do.. well done on being financia
  • Financially savvy and best of luck for your future x
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport