The Cutting Down / Giving Up Booze Thread (Part 14)

Comments

• Wanna_Bee_Free
    Wanna_Bee_Free Posts: 2,134 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    18/18 for July please Shaggy. OH drinking but my resolution is strong tonight.

Good night all!
  • ManPants
    ManPants Posts: 542 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Managed to make it to 4 AF tonight. The other nights haven't been outrageous and could almost be described as low alcohol but they weren't AF either.
    I've just suddenly thought.......my day starts at 8am and often doesn't end until after Midnight so I am having to fight the urge to drink for longer than I've ever done before. Historically, if I was struggling Id go for a walk and have an early night to resist temptation. Tonight I was resisting temptation with only a few customers left and I could easily have spun round and done a "Double Double" of spirits but decided to leave Mr MP to close up and took myself off to bed.

Nice to be part of another new thread. Thank you.
    Quit Smoking 12 years 2 months.
  • smiley_77
    smiley_77 Posts: 110 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    .[/QUOTE
    It really doesn't matter what other people think about your drinking, Smiley. It's what you think about it that's important, and if you think it's impacting negatively on your life then it's time to act, isn't it? No one every knew I used to pour myself a very generous glass while I was doing the washing up, or a number of other things I used to be aware I was doing sort of in secret. And I hated what I'd become.
    [/QUOTE]]

Thanks Honey Bear. I know it is ultimately me who has to live with my choices. Because I am still functioning I think people don't think that means there is a problem. If only they could be in my head! Anyway this thread is great and is really helping me. It would just be nice to have a real live person to speak to.
    Do I really need it? Probably not.:A
  • maggiem
    maggiem Posts: 1,637 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Not a successful end to July but new month, new start. I am going to declare early in the hope it keeps me on the straight and narrow so 1 AFD for me please
  • cathybird
    cathybird Posts: 13,276 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Morning all, 1/21 for me please.
    In April I am taking a break from buying: Books
  • cathybird
    cathybird Posts: 13,276 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    smiley_77 wrote: »
    Thanks Honey Bear. I know it is ultimately me who has to live with my choices. Because I am still functioning I think people don't think that means there is a problem. If only they could be in my head! Anyway this thread is great and is really helping me. It would just be nice to have a real live person to speak to.

Smiley, I'm sure this has been said before many times but don't you reckon one of the reasons people are jarred by those around them cutting down on booze is because it raises the spectre of whether they should think of cutting down themselves? Drinking is enjoyable (until it isn't) and most people who drink regularly hate the idea of giving up or cutting down - they think they wouldn't be able to do it, don't like the thought of having to exert the willpower, want to feel that sense of freedom that goes with being able to do exactly what you like when you like, don't want to feel constricted etc. If everyone around them drinks it confirms and supports their choices and no one has to think. So they put pressure on people to do what they do.

It's similar when someone loses weight or is trying to, friends and family have a particular image of them and quite often don't want them to suddenly "do better" - the shift is uncomfortable and people will work subtly and not so subtly to keep things the way they are.
    In April I am taking a break from buying: Books
  • Honey_Bear
    Honey_Bear Posts: 7,077 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    22/25 for me please I am Missing target by 1 day. But at least 2 of the days just involved 1 glass. And one was a glass of wine with a friend who is having a hard time and rarely drinks but wanted to have a drink so although not perfect massively improved on what came before.
    Thank you everyone for contributing and sharing.

Twenty-two is a fantastic achievemnt PSL, it really is. Well done.
    smiley_77 wrote: »
    I know it is ultimately me who has to live with my choices. Because I am still functioning I think people don't think that means there is a problem. If only they could be in my head! Anyway this thread is great and is really helping me. It would just be nice to have a real live person to speak to.

As far as the outside world was aware, I was functioning just fine, too. OH knew I wasn't but because he enjoys a glass of wine or three and didn't think it was affecting him negatively, he assumed it was me that had the problem, not a problem with booze. There's a huge difference. Stopping drinking meant an end to my totally uncontrollable rages that only he ever saw, and were only ever directed at him. And when he cut down he discovered he could sleep through the night after 20 years of 'insomnia.'

As to speaking to someone in the real world, it is always worth asking your GP what support is available around alcohol locally. Alternatively, I'm a fan of Soberistas and Belle at the blog Tired of Thinking about Drinking. I'm not sure what Soberistas offer but I know Belle, at some point of the 100 Day Challenge offers a phone call.

And I'm absolutely in agreement with you, CathyBird, about people around us feeling uncomfortable with behaviour changes when we plot a new course for ourselves. They will cope, people always do, but as a species we resist change, I think partly because the status quo feels 'safe' just because we know how it works. Or doesn't, but at least it feels safely familiar.

1/31 please, Shaggy.
    Better is good enough.
  • sukeyboo
    sukeyboo Posts: 2,053 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Declaring early for tonight on 1/14 please Shaggy
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,568 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    sukeyboo wrote: »
    Declaring early for tonight on 1/14 please Shaggy

Same here sukey, let's start as we mean to go on!

It's good for me when a month doesn't start at a weekend. I can get a couple on the board early on.

1 AFD please Shaggy.
  • sukeyboo
    sukeyboo Posts: 2,053 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    maman wrote: »
    Same here sukey, let's start as we mean to go on!

It's good for me when a month doesn't start at a weekend. I can get a couple on the board early on.

1 AFD please Shaggy.

Absolutely Maman - I am aiming to have clocked up 3 before the wine comes out on Friday night :p
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure