Renovations and Repayments.

Options

Comments

• SueP19
    SueP19 Posts: 1,876 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    SingleSue wrote: »
    It's not just the little ones who get tired, youngest son who is in his final year of A levels, is also exhausted and looking forward to the half term.

His workload is absolutely massive at the moment and on top of that, he is doing his uni prep (portfolio, personal statement etc) plus he has this mad idea of trying to fit a part time job in there somewhere, no idea where it would fit though or where he would find the energy for it!

So far, the only thing we have planned for the half term week is right at the end, an open day visit to Lincoln university.

My DD did Law at Lincoln, great place
    AlexLK wrote: »
    Lots of thoughts about the past and if I'd taken this route or that rather than the ones I did. Mainly questioning if I could've changed things and prevented all the problems I have.

Hi Alex, to quote Rafiki "the past is the past but it can hurt" My take on the past is that the decision made at the time was the right one at that time. The reason you might make a different decision now is purely down to the circumstances and/or you not being the same.
    Debt Free Diary - Second Chances! Life in a Tourer........Tilly Tidy Founder in 2016, Tilly Tidy 2023 £17.43, NSD Jan 2023 9/10, Debt £13,491.65
  • AlexLK
    AlexLK Posts: 6,125 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Just read my last post on here ... still nothing done / organised / bought for my son's birthday. :o Not made an overpayment and the finances aren't looking good. I think the cars have decided they want to bankrupt us at the moment. :rotfl:

This half term we made it to Spain, generally had a good time and it was a cheap week away. :) Perhaps not the wisest thing to do considering we've not had a great month financially and the next few months are looking a little difficult but it has been nice to get away. Tomorrow it's back to school / work / reality. :(

Can't say I'm in a great state of mind at the moment.
    2018 totals:
    Savings £11,200
    Mortgage Overpayments £5,500
  • A_Frayed_Knot
    Options
    Good to read you managed to get away for a nice sunny break :jyou are so lucky.

I don't think anybody returning from a lovely sunny place, back to work,/school/reality is ever in a good place :)as for finances, I think most have hit :wall:, still we can all play catch up in the NY, well that's my plan anyway, I'm not going to worry about it for the moment, one or two months off is no time at all, I will catch up, I will.

So long as I see something/anything albeit little change then I'm happy, I've everything (bill wise) coming in, in the next few probably couple of weeks and I got left out of the o/t info, so I have 1 night which will bring me £30 clear, so I just have to keep listing on the b@y, which seems harder work atm.

As for DS birthday, it always takes me longer to decide what to buy, rather than actually go get it. Has your DS been asking for anything he may like/want. Riding lessons?, riding equipment ? a remote controlled car ?
    a mini workbench & tools (so he can copy Dad) :D Lots of ideas just need to decide.

Oh, and that £10 short in your savings, is annoying me :D :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl: ;)
    Always have 00.00 at the end of your mortgage and one day it will all be 0's :dance:
    MF[STRIKE] March 2030[/STRIKE] Yes that does say 2030 :eek: Mortgage Free 21.12.18 _party_
    Now a Part Timer from 27.10.19
  • hiddenshadow
    Options
    Just read my last post on here ... still nothing done / organised / bought for my son's birthday. :o

You've still got 3 weeks, plenty of time. :)

Glad you had a nice time away.
    GOh, and that £10 short in your savings, is annoying me :D :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl: ;)

Me too. I don't think Alex is the OCD type regarding tidy finance numbers, though, judging by how long he's let it remain. I would have lasted about 10 minutes, I think. ;)
  • misscousinitt
    Options
    A Frayed Not is right - catch up in the NY.

I am lucky that the money from our rental is our OPs at the moment - if we didn't have that there wouldn't be anything being OPed.

Don't beat yourself up about it.

Glad you had a good week away - how nice to get some sun...

MCI
    Mortgage Free x 1 03.11.2012 - House rented out Feb 2016
    Mortgage No 2: £82, 595.61 (31.08.2019)
    OP's to Date £8500

Renovation Fund:£511.39;
    Nectar Points Balance: approx £30 (31.08.2019)
  • AlexLK
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Thanks all.

I hope I'll respond to everyone over the weekend. :) Things have not been great over these past few days, very frustrated and feel like a complete failure. Something I have managed to sort is a simplified spreadsheet for the day to day finances which has helped me to actually stay on top of our day to day money and find out when I am not being paid for services rendered.
    2018 totals:
    Savings £11,200
  • hiddenshadow
    Options
    Something I have managed to sort is a simplified spreadsheet for the day to day finances which has helped me to actually stay on top of our day to day money and find out when I am not being paid for services rendered.

That's a brilliant step. :)

I hope things improve for you soon.
  • smallholdingsister
    Options
    Hi Alex. What happened about teacher training?
  • AlexLK
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    We all think from time to time (don't we ?) about what if . . . . . I had done this instead of that, or that instead of this. However I generally think the path you take is the right one, and if your not on the right road, then you steer till you get on the right road. Even if on the right road, it's not all plain sailing (?) I get some strange peculiar thoughts, like, if I had crossed the road minutes later, would I have been hit by a bus :eek:

Result is. if you didn't have all the past problems, you wouldn't be the person you are today, and from what I read, that's a good person, a good husband, a good son and a good father :A

On another note, you say you won't be able to make a o/p this month, but look on the positive side, would you be able to add £10 to your savings, making the total £9,800 (that's the zeros kicking in) :D

Thanks, AFK. :)

I am trying to stick with the idea that if I have a bad day, it does not have to mean a bad week and if I have a bad week, it does not have to mean a bad month etc. :) As for thoughts like getting run over by a bus had you crossed the road moments later, I used to think about waiting for the bus. Still do, sometimes.

I hope I've improved, certainly try to.

:rotfl: Re. the savings, I suppose I ought start thinking about the zeros as I'd probably save a little more.
    You are quite right Frayed Not, I quite frequently think that.

What is done is done and you can't change it. Draw a line, learn from it and move forward. One thing you can do is influence the future (notice I don't say control as that's impossible with outside factors kicking in from time to time).

We all have blips on the OP front - especially at costly times like birthdays and Christmas - don't worry about it.

Take care.

MCI

Thanks, MCI. :)

I know nothing can be done about the past. I suppose I just wish I'd not been the person I was. When I can be rational about such things, I know I need to let go of it and move on. I am also aware that I cannot control the future. To be honest, I'm terrified of what's to come.
    Morning Alex, thinking of how things might have been is human nature. We all do it - just need to keep drawing a line under it and focus on the now.

Think back to Jan/February this year and you didn't have a goal - you have saved almost £10k this year. Sounds like something to celebrate to me.

Hope you are having a brilliant half term with your family.

Best wishes Tilly

Thank you, Tilly. :) We had a good half term. :)

I do try to keep drawing the line, though it can be most difficult at times. This is the first time since before half term I've managed to do so. :o

Unfortunately, I cannot really see the money I've saved this year as it's been spent on the house and cars. I suppose I almost forget I've managed to do anything this year because things are rather difficult financially at the moment.
    2018 totals:
    Savings £11,200
  • AlexLK
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    SueP19 wrote: »
    My DD did Law at Lincoln, great place

Hi Alex, to quote Rafiki "the past is the past but it can hurt" My take on the past is that the decision made at the time was the right one at that time. The reason you might make a different decision now is purely down to the circumstances and/or you not being the same.

My past hurts a lot, unfortunately and coming to terms with the fact I potentially made decisions that were right for me at the time makes me feel rather ill. :o I'm far from the same, can't even stand to see photos of me from ten/fifteen years ago and won't let my wife display any photos of our wedding, which I know she would like to, as I can't face looking at myself from those times.
    Good to read you managed to get away for a nice sunny break :jyou are so lucky.

I don't think anybody returning from a lovely sunny place, back to work,/school/reality is ever in a good place :)as for finances, I think most have hit :wall:, still we can all play catch up in the NY, well that's my plan anyway, I'm not going to worry about it for the moment, one or two months off is no time at all, I will catch up, I will.

So long as I see something/anything albeit little change then I'm happy, I've everything (bill wise) coming in, in the next few probably couple of weeks and I got left out of the o/t info, so I have 1 night which will bring me £30 clear, so I just have to keep listing on the b@y, which seems harder work atm.

As for DS birthday, it always takes me longer to decide what to buy, rather than actually go get it. Has your DS been asking for anything he may like/want. Riding lessons?, riding equipment ? a remote controlled car ?
    a mini workbench & tools (so he can copy Dad) :D Lots of ideas just need to decide.

Oh, and that £10 short in your savings, is annoying me :D :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl: ;)

:rotfl: OK, OK I'll deal with the £10. ;):D

Thanks for all the advice / ideas. :) I think I'll be catching up a lot in the new year.

We have sorted a riding party at my cousin's, so far. :) No gifts as yet, though.
    You've still got 3 weeks, plenty of time. :)

Glad you had a nice time away.

Me too. I don't think Alex is the OCD type regarding tidy finance numbers, though, judging by how long he's let it remain. I would have lasted about 10 minutes, I think. ;)

Less than two weeks now. :eek:

:rotfl: No, I'm not OCD re. finances, do think I'd be much better if I were though.
    2018 totals:
    Savings £11,200
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills