PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Electrical Survey

Comments

• AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Unless the rental property is in Scotland.
    A legal requirement for some time, latest update with the minimum tolerable standard (Sep 2007) and the mandatory requirement for electrical checks (1st Dec 2016)
    It isn't even clear that this property would fail the Scottish minimum "tolerable standard" check.

http://www.gov.scot/Publications/2009/03/25154751/15

To fail it needs to have something in the "Table A" list - no fuses at all, rubber or lead wiring, "DO NOT USE" notices, taped connections, charred light switches and sockets - the sort of thing that would make any sensible adult wear wellies in the house anyway. OR... it needs to have something in "Table B" that an electrician's report states makes the property "unsafe for continued use". That is not what's happened here, by the sound of it.

0076405.gif
  • I note the flow chart but point out a couple of things

The purpose of assessing an electrical installation against this element of the tolerable standard is to determine whether it is unsafe to use. The most effective way of doing this is to have a competent person carry out a periodic inspection and produce a report on the condition of the installation. Assessors should try to find out if the house has been inspected and tested and, where possible, obtain a copy of the report.

See here http://www.gov.scot/Topics/Built-Environment/Housing/privaterent/landlords/repairing-standard

To comply with the Repairing Standard, private landlords must have regard to the guidance issued by Scottish Ministers on:
    If, after a landlord has been notified of any problem, it is not attended to satisfactorily or if there is disagreement about whether or not there is a problem, then tenants have the right to refer the matter to the Private Rented Housing Panel. The Private Rented Housing Panel has power to require a landlord to carry out work necessary to meet the standard.

Please also remember the STATUTORY requirement for landlords to have electrical checks by 1st December 2016 for EXISTING tenancies, so the previous guidance is only valid for 2-3 weeks from todays date :D
    baldly going on...
  • theGrinch
    theGrinch Posts: 3,122 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Its asking the obvious. I would be worried if the report came back all fine.

just budget for it
    "enough is a feast"...old Buddist proverb
  • So the report has come back this morning. It's an EICR, and it's pretty indepth, and now frankly, I'm not touching any of the power in that house! Most of it has been marked as C1 (Danger Present) and C2 (Potentially Dangerous), and the photos of some of the wiring is literally terrifying.

There are metal backings to light swtiches with no earth, overloaded circuits, kitchen downlights which aren't very old not meeting any fire regulations. The place appears to be a bit of a death trap.

BUT, this is the problem, we still want the house and are going to undertake the work either way - we're just going to have to ask the question. We put an offer in with consideration of the cosmetic work the house needed - as an ex rental the place is just a bit tired - but it was effectively "sold" to us by the estate agent as only needing that. Other than an old fuse box (which I'll be honest I didn't notice, but my husband did on our 3rd viewing after we'd put in the offer) there was no indication of any major issues.

The electrician thinks that most of the property was re-wired about 40 years ago, with changes made badly around 20 years ago, with the bathroom being a point of worry - which was only re-done a few years back.

We're still going to hang on for the Homebuyers survey to come back, because having done the maths even if the seller agrees to a 3k knockdown in the price, we will only be about £600 better off in terms of ready cash as the rest will come off the mortgage.
  • AdrianC
    The other way of looking at it is that it's been like that for decades and yet nobody's had a problem...

I'd agree it sounds like it needs attention - what exactly did the original survey say about the electrics valuation compared to your offer?

You can always hand the survey to the vendor and say "Well...? About a reduction..." - but don't forget that they can say "No". Are you prepared to walk away?
  • There was no valuation on the electrical report?

We've not yet had our HomeBuyers survey returned and Santander didn't actually visit the property for their valuation as far as we know, but they valued it at what we had offered and had accepted.

We are fortunate that we are living with family after the sale of our own home otherwise this would be a nightmare. Estimates for the rewire suggest 10 days to 2 weeks :(
  • AdrianC
    pixiepeep wrote: »
    There was no valuation on the electrical report?

No, but there would have been on your main survey.
    We've not yet had our HomeBuyers survey returned and Santander didn't actually visit the property for their valuation as far as we know, but they valued it at what we had offered and had accepted.

The HBR will contain a valuation, along with a brief overview of the electrics - which will almost certainly say "The fusebox is ancient, get an electrical check."
    Estimates for the rewire suggest 10 days to 2 weeks :(

Suggestion...

If you can live with the upheaval, get the bare minimum done now, and do the rest later - because you WILL find your way of living in the house dictates where you want lights, switches, sockets etc.
  • pixiepeep
    pixiepeep Posts: 82 Forumite
    edited 19 October 2016 at 3:17PM
    HBR just came back. Building is sound, a little damp as it's been empty. Recommended an electrical survey based on the age of the fuse box!

But no 3s, mostly 1s and 2s which is what we expected.

Husband and I have decided that it comes down to the quote for the rewire. We're going to hand over all the reports to our solicitors and take their advice but tbh I think if the rewire is under 3.5k were going to go ahead with the sale without fighting for a reduction- just isn't worth the effort.
  • Niv
    Niv Posts: 2,468 Forumite
    Funny how there is such inconstancy with surveys.

I have recently bought a 400 year old farmhouse, mortgage company did a valuation and came back with no comments.

I independently got a full survey full rewire was suggested to be budgeted - but as with most (all?) building surveyors they are just being cautious.

Upon moving in I found that a couple of pendants needed replacing and a couple of rooms simply had all the bulbs blown. One light fitting does not currently work - I have not got round to checking it, but it will not involve much rewiring even worst case.

There was evidence of old wiring in some areas (the twisted cable type) but this was actually just old stuff that was completely disconnected and was simply not removed from the wall / ceiling.

The wiring is old in age but the condition is good. A full rewire is not required.

Total cost to do electrics <£100.
    YNWA

Target: Mortgage free by 58.
  • Niv wrote: »
    Funny how there is such inconstancy with surveys.

I have recently bought a 400 year old farmhouse, mortgage company did a valuation and came back with no comments.

I independently got a full survey full rewire was suggested to be budgeted - but as with most (all?) building surveyors they are just being cautious.

Upon moving in I found that a couple of pendants needed replacing and a couple of rooms simply had all the bulbs blown. One light fitting does not currently work - I have not got round to checking it, but it will not involve much rewiring even worst case.

There was evidence of old wiring in some areas (the twisted cable type) but this was actually just old stuff that was completely disconnected and was simply not removed from the wall / ceiling.

The wiring is old in age but the condition is good. A full rewire is not required.

Total cost to do electrics <£100.

Tbf, the HBR does suggest that we get it looked into, so I'm glad we did. The whole house will need rewiring, it's a mess.

My bigger concern now is that there is no paperwork for the conservatory, or more importantly, the gap that was put into the back wall - it's the full width of the conservatory. I'm hoping there's a steel in there... :/ Last thing we need is to rectify all of that on zero budget.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure