Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • dori2o
    • By dori2o 12th Feb 18, 9:57 PM
    • 7,466Posts
    • 12,436Thanks
    dori2o
    Have you set up your Personal Tax Account?
    • 12th Feb 18, 9:57 PM
    Have you set up your Personal Tax Account? 12th Feb 18 at 9:57 PM
    How many people here have signed up for the Personal tax account online?

This will give you the opportunity to make/request adjustments to your tax code online, check/adjust your estimated income, review previous tax calculations, update medical insurance and company cars, request repayments, print out employment history/pay and tax details, check national insurance contribution details, review your self assessment record, view your state pension forecast, pay underpaid tax, update your tax credits claim and submit tax credit renewals, apply for and check pension contribution lifetime allowance, submit forms online to claim refunds, expenses, tax refunds from pension lump sums, tax refunds from investment income and lots more.

Available 24/7. No queues waiting to speak to someone, updates/forms processed within 5 working days. Ability to track submissions progress.

Go to gov.uk and search for Personal Tax Account

For those who have already, do you use it? If not is there any reason why?

For those who have not, is there a reason why?
    To equate judgement and wisdom with occupation is at best . . . insulting.
Page 1
    • choccielover
    • By choccielover 12th Feb 18, 10:23 PM
    • 379 Posts
    • 1,340 Thanks
    choccielover
    • 12th Feb 18, 10:23 PM
    • 12th Feb 18, 10:23 PM
    Yes I have it, yes I use it.

Seems a little odd though, I updated my account to reflect PMI and the tax code that generated, and that is still showing on my account, is different to the one actually supplied to payroll....

It;s quite handy if you need to understand changes to your tax code, or just check pension years for SP etc.

I like it but it;s not exactly comething I need to access weekly or even monthly. I;ve been on 2/3 time so far I think.

ETA. I can;t see where you can do all the pension activities you;ve listed, aside from checking state pension..... I;ve just logged on to check.
    Last edited by choccielover; 12-02-2018 at 10:41 PM.
    • 00ec25
    • By 00ec25 13th Feb 18, 7:54 AM
    • 5,979 Posts
    • 5,457 Thanks
    00ec25
    • 13th Feb 18, 7:54 AM
    • 13th Feb 18, 7:54 AM
    anything which removes the need to speak to the low calibre staff who work for HMRC these days is well worth the effort of signing up for - if you believe that HMRC can implement computer systems that work (jury still out on that verdict)
    • enjoyyourshoes
    • By enjoyyourshoes 13th Feb 18, 7:58 AM
    • 1,042 Posts
    • 1,275 Thanks
    enjoyyourshoes
    • 13th Feb 18, 7:58 AM
    • 13th Feb 18, 7:58 AM
    Yes its a good additional service, I have encouraged my kids to set one up too son s they can keep on top of claiming tax back and ensuring employers are paying due NI etc.

Updated my Wife tax code too yesterday, simple and efficient.

Echo comments on 'not having to contact HMRC staff, who always sound bored and fed up !
    Debt is a symptom, solve the problem.
    • csgohan4
    • By csgohan4 13th Feb 18, 9:42 AM
    • 4,296 Posts
    • 2,687 Thanks
    csgohan4
    • 13th Feb 18, 9:42 AM
    • 13th Feb 18, 9:42 AM
    easy to use, no issues with it, the self assessment also simple to use,
    "It is prudent when shopping for something important, not to limit yourself to Pound land"
    • Pennywise
    • By Pennywise 13th Feb 18, 11:21 AM
    • 9,840 Posts
    • 18,156 Thanks
    Pennywise
    • 13th Feb 18, 11:21 AM
    • 13th Feb 18, 11:21 AM
    I'm looking forward to using it, but (as per usual with HMRC), they've not yet given access for agents/accountants, so I'm stuck with writing/phoning or using the few online forms for my clients until they give access to agents. Heaven knows why HMRC thought it was good to give the taxpayer access but completely ignored the taxpayers who use agents! Hey-ho.
    • uknick
    • By uknick 13th Feb 18, 12:16 PM
    • 748 Posts
    • 338 Thanks
    uknick
    • 13th Feb 18, 12:16 PM
    • 13th Feb 18, 12:16 PM
    I've used it to question my tax code a couple of times. Also to let them know their estimate of my interest income was overstated.
    • agrinnall
    • By agrinnall 13th Feb 18, 1:01 PM
    • 19,432 Posts
    • 15,116 Thanks
    agrinnall
    • 13th Feb 18, 1:01 PM
    • 13th Feb 18, 1:01 PM
    I have set it up and I have used it (primarily to look at my NI contributions record). Is there an intention to expand the things that can be done in the future?
    • csgohan4
    • By csgohan4 13th Feb 18, 3:37 PM
    • 4,296 Posts
    • 2,687 Thanks
    csgohan4
    • 13th Feb 18, 3:37 PM
    • 13th Feb 18, 3:37 PM
    Be nice to have a total figure of tax you have paid in your working life. Nice to know where your salary has gone or mostly
    "It is prudent when shopping for something important, not to limit yourself to Pound land"
    • hoc
    • By hoc 14th Feb 18, 11:14 AM
    • 201 Posts
    • 133 Thanks
    hoc
    Is it still limited to British nationals only? I remember my EU friend was unable to sign up to this about a year ago unlike online Personal Assessment, etc.
    • badmemory
    • By badmemory 14th Feb 18, 11:49 AM
    • 1,349 Posts
    • 1,603 Thanks
    badmemory
    I can't think of any reason I should. Although now they have stopped me doing self assessment, for some obscure known only to themselves reason, I may well find the need to when my current year's tax bill is totally messed up. Which I fully expect as a way of forcing me to do it. Paranoid me! Never!
    • dori2o
    • By dori2o 15th Feb 18, 10:54 PM
    • 7,466 Posts
    • 12,436 Thanks
    dori2o
    I can't think of any reason I should. Although now they have stopped me doing self assessment, for some obscure known only to themselves reason, I may well find the need to when my current year's tax bill is totally messed up. Which I fully expect as a way of forcing me to do it. Paranoid me! Never!
    Originally posted by badmemory
    The reason to have one is to check that your tax codes are as you expect them to be. Or to ensure that HMRC have up to date estimates of your income.

You can also check other details such as NI contributions.

If you have done self assessment online in the last 2 years using HMRC's software then you will already have a personal tax account set up.

As for the issue regarding self assessment, if you no longer meet the criteria then HMRC will close the self assessment record and stop requesting Tax Returns. However, you can still choose to submit one should you wish to.

You can check the criteria here: https://www.gov.uk/self-assessment-tax-returns/who-must-send-a-tax-return
    • dori2o
    • By dori2o 15th Feb 18, 10:56 PM
    • 7,466 Posts
    • 12,436 Thanks
    dori2o
    Is it still limited to British nationals only? I remember my EU friend was unable to sign up to this about a year ago unlike online Personal Assessment, etc.
    Originally posted by hoc
    No.

Anyone who has a national insurance number and cav verify themselves can access the system.
    • dori2o
    • By dori2o 15th Feb 18, 10:57 PM
    • 7,466 Posts
    • 12,436 Thanks
    dori2o
    Be nice to have a total figure of tax you have paid in your working life. Nice to know where your salary has gone or mostly
    Originally posted by csgohan4
    Thats not the point of the online account, therefore I dont expect that will be one of the options that will be added.
    • dori2o
    • By dori2o 15th Feb 18, 11:00 PM
    • 7,466 Posts
    • 12,436 Thanks
    dori2o
    I have set it up and I have used it (primarily to look at my NI contributions record). Is there an intention to expand the things that can be done in the future?
    Originally posted by agrinnall
    Yes. More options will be added as time goes by.

The intention is that eventually this will become the first point of contact to resolve most issues, make claims submit forms etc.
    • hoc
    • By hoc 15th Feb 18, 11:03 PM
    • 201 Posts
    • 133 Thanks
    hoc
    No.

Anyone who has a national insurance number and cav verify themselves can access the system.
    Originally posted by dori2o
    Thanks. Just to make sure I'm not confusing this with something else, this is the system that is to replace the Personal Assessment isn't it? The one that eventually will be linked to bank accounts eliminating need to track bank interest for example.
    • dori2o
    • By dori2o 15th Feb 18, 11:23 PM
    • 7,466 Posts
    • 12,436 Thanks
    dori2o
    Thanks. Just to make sure I'm not confusing this with something else, this is the system that is to replace the Personal Assessment isn't it? The one that eventually will be linked to bank accounts eliminating need to track bank interest for example.
    Originally posted by hoc
    Anyone who used to use the old online self assessment system will now have to go through the process of verification to create the personal tax account. This is done automatically when you log in using the self assessment online user ID and Password.

The 2 systems will operate in tandem but if you need to submit a self assessment online you will access the service via the personal tax account.

The issue regarding bank interest is seperate. The banks will now provide all details regarding interest received at the end of the tax year and it will be recorded on each individuals tax record.

The personal tax account can then be used to provide estimates of current year interest should you believe it will be higher/lower than the last tax year.

The personal tax account can be used to make payment for the new 'simple assessment' process.

Where an individual is not in Self Assessment, HMRC will automatically review their record at the end of the tax year when all information is received from employers, pension providers, dwp, and banks.

If the tax due is more than £3000, or cannot be collected by restricting the following years tax code, the individual will have to pay the tax due by the later of 31 January following the end of the tax year, or 3 months and 7 days from the date of the calculation.

Prior to April 2017 HMRC could not enforce these types of calculations without transferring the individual into Self Assessment. That has now changed and these calculations are now lawfully enforceable, with interest and penalties charged if the tax is paid late without prior arrangement.
    • hoc
    • By hoc 16th Feb 18, 10:00 AM
    • 201 Posts
    • 133 Thanks
    hoc
    Anyone who used to use the old online self assessment system will now have to go through the process of verification to create the personal tax account. This is done automatically when you log in using the self assessment online user ID and Password.
    What is the definition of "the old online self assessment system"? Is that a previous SA from years gone by or the current SA? I did my 16-17 tax using SA 2 months ago, was that "the old online self assessment system"?

The 2 systems will operate in tandem but if you need to submit a self assessment online you will access the service via the personal tax account.
    Since when or to begin when? I submitted my latest SA 2 months ago, did I "access the service via the personal tax account"?

The issue regarding bank interest is seperate. The banks will now provide all details regarding interest received at the end of the tax year and it will be recorded on each individuals tax record.
    When did this start? My last SA was a blank slate I had to fill in. Is this because it had not started yet or I was not on the new system?

The personal tax account can then be used to provide estimates of current year interest should you believe it will be higher/lower than the last tax year.
    This could always be done, couldn't it? Certainly by phone and letter, it is just one of the simple values that goes into the tax code that can be adjusted during the year. What is new here, that it can now be done online (I presumed was the case already) or that the estimate coming in from banks (each month) can be seen and used similar to say gas or electricity estimates.

The personal tax account can be used to make payment for the new 'simple assessment' process.

Where an individual is not in Self Assessment, HMRC will automatically review their record at the end of the tax year when all information is received from employers, pension providers, dwp, and banks.

If the tax due is more than £3000, or cannot be collected by restricting the following years tax code, the individual will have to pay the tax due by the later of 31 January following the end of the tax year, or 3 months and 7 days from the date of the calculation.

Prior to April 2017 HMRC could not enforce these types of calculations without transferring the individual into Self Assessment. That has now changed and these calculations are now lawfully enforceable, with interest and penalties charged if the tax is paid late without prior arrangement.
    All of this seems identical to current except for the last part which I'm not sure I follow, not that it's a vital point for me as I pay on time each year.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

28Posts Today

3,641Users online

Martin's Twitter