Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Jojayne86
    • By Jojayne86 24th Jan 18, 9:53 PM
    • 12Posts
    • 1Thanks
    Jojayne86
    Being made redundant whilst on maternity leave
    • 24th Jan 18, 9:53 PM
    Being made redundant whilst on maternity leave 24th Jan 18 at 9:53 PM
    Hi. I have just been told I'm being made redundant. I am 3 months into my maternity leave and so want to know if I have any rights. I am having a telephone consultation Friday afternoon and want to be ready for any questions I have. This has come at a really bad time for me (not that there's ever a good time) and I am really worried. I am also wanting to buy a house this year, will all this effect my mortgage etc and do I buy quick as I am ready financially we have just been too picky.
    Thanks so much in advance for any advice
Page 2
    • Jojayne86
    • By Jojayne86 3rd Feb 18, 8:12 PM
    • 12 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Jojayne86
    Hi, Thank you for getting back to me. I have recently been told they have nothing available in my store at the moment but they have placed my store on a recruitment freeze over my mat leave period and so by the time I'm due to go back there should be some hours for me. Not sure what to do about this as there is no guarantee.
    Also I have asked for a copy of the new manager skills that is required for the job, this was a week ago and still waiting. The supervisor role has always been a role in the store, there can be more than 1, it really isn't that far off a deputy manager role and so they have said it would be a suitable role for me, they just need the hours to give me. The girl that was employed under one of these roles was apparently given this is in October whilst on her maternity leave for her starting back to work in January. She's worked for the company but in Manchester and wanted to be closer to home. This post was advertised in October and many applied she got the job over experience. I still find it hard to believe the company didn't know they were going to make 100's of jobs redundant this year, surely we should have been on a recruitment ban so they could redeploy us into available jobs, but that's just my oppinion.
    I will see what they get back to me, but it just seems I'm going to have to wait.
    Thanks again
    • Kynthia
    • By Kynthia 4th Feb 18, 7:24 PM
    • 5,074 Posts
    • 7,067 Thanks
    Kynthia
    I don't have a lot of advice but I wanted to offer my sympathy as I have spent two maternity leaves dealing with redundancy threats. You feel very vulnerable when you are not there to get all the info and nervous about applying for jobs when you haven't worked for months.

Fortunately the first time, when they were eliminating my whole grade, I was successful at obtaining a promotion a few weeks after the birth so I had a job to return to and could relax during the rest of the maternity leave (although I'll never forget the worry in those initial few weeks). The second time the who department was going and I knew in advance. Although job hunting was hard work it paid off and I started a good job when my daughter was 11 months.

It sounds like they are prepared to be flexible by holding off on making you redundant until the end of your maternity leave and imposing a recruitment ban in the hopes that staff departures could mean there will be enough hours to offer you by then. This would mean you keep your continuous service and makes getting a mortgage simpler. However it wouldn't hurt to look around at new jobs in a few months time as you could find something good. I wish you good luck.
    Don't listen to me, I'm no expert!
    • Jojayne86
    • By Jojayne86 5th Feb 18, 12:59 PM
    • 12 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Jojayne86
    Thank you, I will have a look as you say I might come across something good! It's the worst feeling not knowing if I'll have a job to go too when my mat leave is finished. But thank you in giving me hope that it will all work out in the end.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

5,213Posts Today

7,135Users online

Martin's Twitter