Getting rid of rats/mice (merged threads)

I walked into the kitchen yesterday and saw a black rat/mouse move towards our bin in the kitchen, it came from the utility room.

Now what can I do to get rid of them?
Should I buy the rat poison and leave it around or buy traps? How much should I buy and how long does it take to do the trick?

Is there anything else that I should do?
Do I need to tell the council?

All help appreciated.

Comments

• calmgirl
    calmgirl Posts: 604 Forumite
    (CG'S Hubby here)

he council will posion them for free

other wise keep all food, waste and rat,mouse eatable things of the floor and in plastic contaniers and keep everything clean

if you not sure where they are comming in sprinkle flour on the floor around the edges,walls etc inside and check for little footprints. (I used this to great effect when I use to shoot them for people)
    Money's too tight to mention!!!
  • mrcow
    mrcow Posts: 15,170 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    bob_regis wrote:
    Should I buy the rat poison and leave it around or buy traps? How much should I buy and how long does it take to do the trick?

Do both IMO and don't be bothering with humane traps, as they don't work, and in the meantime, the mice will be breeding.

Buy a couple of old fashioned traps. Chocolate is good bait (eg. Mars Bar).

Also, get the little trays of poison and leave them tucked along the mouse runs.

Keep all food sealed up and out of the way.

Alternatively, borrow a good cat from a friend for a couple of weeks ;)
    "One day I realised that when you are lying in your grave, it's no good saying, "I was too shy, too frightened."
    Because by then you've blown your chances. That's it."
  • get a cat lol

youll never get mice again!!!
    :beer: :j OFFICIAL DFW NERD NO 159 PROUD TO BE DEALING WITH OUR DEBTS:beer: :j

If you do a job well, people won't be sure you've done anything at all :rolleyes:

Must claim back bank charges!!!:rolleyes:
  • tee_pee_2
    tee_pee_2 Posts: 1,674 Forumite
    Ring the council they should have a pest control dept who will come out to the house. There may be a charge but if it cures the problem.

We moved into our house 3 years ago and we live next to a race course so there was vermin due to litter etc. My neighbours on either side said there had been a problem with rats for 5 years and pest control came every year.

However when I moved in with my two cats the rat problem was gone in 5wks, granted I had a vet bill when they had a fight but my cat was the winner and no more rats.
  • calmgirl
    calmgirl Posts: 604 Forumite
    by the way Two rats can be the Parents of one MILLION rats within a year
    Money's too tight to mention!!!
  • tee_pee_2
    tee_pee_2 Posts: 1,674 Forumite
    That is a very scary thought. Bob betta get that rat catcher in fast.
  • nelly_2
    nelly_2 Posts: 17,863 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    calmgirl wrote:
    by the way Two rats can be the Parents of one MILLION rats within a year

Thats just showing off :)
  • Nile
    Nile Posts: 14,930 Ambassador
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Please keep this thread on topic to help the original poster.;)

Hi, Martin’s asked me to post this in these circumstances: While it’s easy to wander off-topic that often prevents newbies finding the information they want quickly and easily (please see this rule). Please keep this thread on topic. If you’d like to discuss non-MoneySaving related topics please continue your discussion in The MoneySavers Arms or Discussion Time. If you have any questions about this policy please email [email="%20abuse@moneysavingexpert.com"]abuse@moneysavingexpert.com[/email].

Regards

Nile
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the 'I wanna' and 'In my home' and Health & Beauty'' boards.If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.10 Dec 2007 - Led Zeppelin - I was there. :j :cool2: I wear my 50 (gold/red/white) blood donations pin badge with pride. Give blood, save a life.
  • MrsTinks
    MrsTinks Posts: 15,241 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker Name Dropper First Anniversary
    If you don't want a cat for ever then have you thought of getting a foster cat? Often just the smell of a cat is enough to clear a house of mise ;)

And you'd be helping the puddytat and maybe even save it's life :)
    DFW Nerd #025
    DFW no more! Officially debt free 2017 - now joining the MFW's! :)

My DFW Diary - blah- mildly funny stuff about my journey
  • amd
    amd Posts: 303 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Second the idea of chocolate on the traps - little cadbury fudge bars (teeny pieces) stay on well. Found out one christmas eve that mice had eaten into every christmas present stashed in our loft that contained chocolate! Even the wrapped ones in cellophane! Handn't touched the rest!

Also, a mouse can squeeze through a hole as small as your little finger. You'll need to find out where they're coming in and seal up any holes or their little friends will keep visiting.
    Money can't buy you happiness, but it does bring you a more pleasant form of misery.
    (Spike Milligan)
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure