Comments

• CashStrapped
    CashStrapped Posts: 1,294 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 18 March 2017 at 1:21AM
    Femstar wrote: »
    A promising update it seems:

Since we stopped supplying at your property from 13 March 2017"

They still can't quite get it correct though. The policy...as I understand it, is that the retention of the fixed tariff applies as long as they get an indication of a switch taking place up to 20 days after the tariff ends, not the switch actually completing.

So they could even get an indication of the switch occurring on the 13th and the switch may not fully complete till the end of the month. So, they have to keep you on that tariff until it completes. I think they mention a reasonable amount of time, so as long as the switch does not take another month etc.

I assume you had to complain to get this actioned @Femstar?
  • Femstar
    Femstar Posts: 17 Forumite
    I assume you had to complain to get this actioned @Femstar?

Yes after their initial response, I referred them to 24.9 and 24.10 of the OFGEM regulations along with their own T&Cs and said I'd have to take the matter to the ombudsman if the issue wasn't rectified, whilst mentioning that they can probably expect to hear from countless others regarding this issue.
  • CashStrapped
    edited 18 March 2017 at 2:02AM
    Femstar wrote: »
    Yes after their initial response, I referred them to 24.9 and 24.10 of the OFGEM regulations along with their own T&Cs and said I'd have to take the matter to the ombudsman if the issue wasn't rectified, whilst mentioning that they can probably expect to hear from countless others regarding this issue.

But only those who are keen enough to notice. That is the problem.

I would forward the correspondence to ofgem making it clear they only took this action after a complaint. They need to have enough people raise it as an issue so that OFGEM act.
  • c_smith
    c_smith Posts: 379 Forumite
    Got a reply back from BG regarding my incorrect bill, in which they state:

" Just so you know, your account was registered on Collective Fix February 2017 tariff which ended on 28 February 2017 after which your account was registered on our standard tariff. This is the reason that your bill is calculated on pro rata basis until 28 February 2017 to the previous tariff and than on the standard tariff. The same way we’ll calculate your electricity bill."

Another email winging it's way towards them as we speak.
  • CashStrapped
    iWKad22.jpg?fb
  • Hi Csmith and all

Update for all
    I called extra energy, after the 6th person i spoke to (got cut off 3 times) i quoted 24.9 ofgem rules+regs and they agreed the bill was wrong - overcharge by £23 and they upped their good will gesture to £100 - so right result for me!!
    To all ask for complaints dept and quote 24,9+24.10 if need!

£1000 from Cashback websites in 6years!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    :::j:j:j:j:j:j:j:j:j:j:j:j:j
  • c_smith
    c_smith Posts: 379 Forumite
    Latest reply from British Gas:

Thank you for your email about the final bill.

I’m sorry for the repeated contact it as caused to you.

We’ve issued the final bill as per the pro rata basis as your account was registered on Collective Fix February 2017 tariff which ended on 28 February 2017 after which your account was registered on our standard tariff.

Though you switched the supplier after your tariff ended the account was registered on our Standard tariff. This is the reason, I’m sorry, I’m unable to re-bill your account to the previous tariff.

This will be also applicable for your final electricity bill.

They would appear to be sticking to their guns that I'm on the Standard tariff from 1st March.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,090 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    c_smith wrote: »
    Latest reply from British Gas:

Thank you for your email about the final bill.

I’m sorry for the repeated contact it as caused to you.

We’ve issued the final bill as per the pro rata basis as your account was registered on Collective Fix February 2017 tariff which ended on 28 February 2017 after which your account was registered on our standard tariff.

Though you switched the supplier after your tariff ended the account was registered on our Standard tariff. This is the reason, I’m sorry, I’m unable to re-bill your account to the previous tariff.

This will be also applicable for your final electricity bill.

They would appear to be sticking to their guns that I'm on the Standard tariff from 1st March.

As I have said previously, SLCs are not an easy read. However, BG seems to be latching on to one particular section of the Licence based on its interpretation that the customer has not transferred to a new supplier by the end of the contract date. I believe that they have got it wrong based on how other suppliers have treated me. That said, I have tended to initiate a switch before the end of the contract term. I think that they are taking SLC22C.7 as gospel and ignoring SLC22C.8. The latter brings SLC24.9 into play.

Continued supply after a fixed term period ends

22C.7 Where a Domestic Customer does not change supplier or does not expressly agree a new Evergreen Supply Contract, a new Fixed Term Supply Contract or a further fixed term period for a Fixed Term Supply Contract by the date the fixed term period of an existing Fixed Term Supply Contract is due to end, the licensee must ensure that the terms of the Fixed Term Supply Contract provide that the Domestic Customer will become subject to the Relevant Cheapest Evergreen Tariff.

22C.8 Without prejudice to paragraph 22C.2 of this condition and paragraph 24.9 of standard condition 24, if at the end of any fixed term period the licensee continues to supply a Domestic Customer, it must do so on the basis of:

(a) the Relevant Cheapest Evergreen Tariff which is provided for by the terms of the Fixed Term Supply Contract in accordance with paragraph 22C.7;

(b) a new Evergreen Supply Contract which has been entered into with the express agreement of the Domestic Customer;

(c) a new Fixed Term Supply Contract which has been entered into with the express agreement of the Domestic Customer and which complies with standard condition 22C; or

(d) a further fixed term period in relation to an existing Fixed Term Supply Contract in circumstances where that Fixed Term Supply Contract and that further fixed term period complies with standard condition 22C.

What to do next? I would return to the charge and ask them to state explicitly why they believe that SLCs22C.8 and 24.9 do not apply when they were notified by the Network of a transfer in progress within the stated 20 day period after fixed contract end? I would also say that I have referred the exam question to consumeraffairs@ofgem.gov.uk for advice as other suppliers seem to be complying with 22C.8.

I may of course be wrong: I am only a consumer and not a lawyer. That said, I note that BG hasn't responded to a post that I made yesterday about SLC 24.9.
  • SnowMan
    SnowMan Posts: 3,356 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    edited 24 March 2017 at 8:18AM
    Hengus wrote: »
    I may of course be wrong: I am only a consumer and not a lawyer. That said, I note that BG hasn't responded to a post that I made yesterday about SLC 24.9.
    OFGEM have told me you are right, twice in separate phone conversations on different days. If anyone should know they should. So hopefully they will be able to confirm this to you also.

OFGEM are aware of this thread and the other British Gas feedback thread so hopefully they will be able to challenge British Gas on their approach.

But I would ask anyone who has a written response from British Gas saying they should be charged standard tariff after the collective tariff end date of 28th February, despite switching away from the collective tariff, to contact the OFGEM consumer affairs helpdesk (020 7901 7295) to pass on a copy of their response. OFGEM can't deal with individual complaints of course but can take up general issues with energy suppliers.
    I came, I saw, I melted
  • SnowMan
    SnowMan Posts: 3,356 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    In relation to my complaint (still unresolved) British Gas have sent me a letter to say they have tried to contact me (I've had no message or call etc) and they say they will be closing my complaint unless I contact them by 4th April. They claim they need more information from me.

There is no further information they require, as I've already previously said I would like a written explanation of why they think they are right to charge me standard tariff from 1st March and not apply license condition 24.9 or honour their promise to charge me at the collective tariff rate set out in their 42 day letter.

When I rang them up on the number on the letter, they say it is impossible to put me through to the person dealing with my complaint.

This is a second time they have tried to close my complaint without resolving it.

The first time a BG complaints handler said they were closing my complaint. I said this was not right as it wasn't resolved from my side. The complaint handler closed it anyway.

When I rang back later I found out the complaint had been closed, and they asked me why they had closed the complaint. I explained that they should be asking their complaints handler why he had closed the case, when I had made it crystal clear the case wasn't resolved from my viewpoint

The nonsense continues......... :(:rotfl:
    I came, I saw, I melted
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family