IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

Notice to Keeper (Minster Baywatch, ANPR)

Hi all

Received an NTK yesterday from Minster Baywatch alleging an overstay ("parking fee covering visit duration was not paid in full"). Their evidence is a photo from the ANPR cam taken on entry and another taken on exit.

The overstay they allege is slightly unusual: the purchased ticket is timed 45 mins after the alleged time of entry, and the time of exit is 4 mins after the purchased ticket 'expires'.

Am I right in thinking the best course of action initially is to respond with a fairly standard ANPR-type response mentioning:
  • poor signage
  • no evidence of authority to act on behalf of landowner
  • don't name the driver
I intend to visit the car park asap to check the layout, signage etc.

The driver suffers from anxiety/depression - worth mentioning that at this stage?

Comments

• pappa_golf
    pappa_golf Posts: 8,895 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    the purchased ticket is timed 45 mins after the alleged time of entry

the time of exit is 4 mins after the purchased ticket 'expires'.

run that by us again?

did the person buy a ticket within (say) 10 mins of arriving on the site , yes or no ?
    Save a Rachael

buy a share in crapita
  • pappa_golf wrote: »
    did the person buy a ticket within (say) 10 mins of arriving on the site , yes or no ?
    Apparently they parked, discovered they had no change and went off to get some, so almost certainly no.

It seems they did not realise that the car park was ANPR and assumed it was warden patrolled.
  • pappa_golf
    pappa_golf Posts: 8,895 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 18 October 2016 at 12:15PM
    the codes of practice used by both the the ATAs suggest (about) 10 mins after entry to read , digest the signage and to decide to stay (pay) or leave the site

HOWEVER

the signage in the car park should clearly state that ANPR is in use and state what reason it being used for

if you did not see this information , then its obvious that the signage was unclear
    Save a Rachael

buy a share in crapita
  • I have now visited the site and taken some photos.

The signage is poor and the main sign is placed parallel to the street so you don't get chance to read it before you turn into the entrance.

As well as the sign at the entrance/exit there are two additional very small signs placed high up on the wall of the adjoining building. Many areas of the car park have no sign within readable range. The lettering on the main sign is very small in places, no more than 10mm high.
  • Umkomaas
    Umkomaas Posts: 41,315 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Appeal using the blue text template from the newbies FAQ sticky to elicit a rejection and POPLA code. You will need to get this beaten at POPLA, you won't get any appeal won directly with MB.

Then do your research and preparation for submitting a POPLA appeal towards the middle of December.
    Please note, we are not a legal advice forum. I personally don't get involved in critiquing court case Defences/Witness Statements, so unable to help on that front. Please don't ask. .

I provide only my personal opinion, it is not a legal opinion, it is simply a personal one. I am not a lawyer.

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Private Parking Firms - Killing the High Street
  • BindiBahji
    BindiBahji Posts: 71 Forumite
    edited 18 October 2016 at 12:51PM
    pappa_golf wrote: »
    the signage in the car park should clearly state that ANPR is in use and state what reason it being used for
    The only mention of ANPR I could see on the main sign is in the small print, positioned below waist level: "This car park is controlled by ANPR cameras and / or warden patrol." with a graphic alongside that looks like a CCTV camera.

gqAW4Auhy.jpg
  • Carthesis
    Carthesis Posts: 565 Forumite
    That notice of the £100 charge doesn't pass the Red-Hand Test.

It doesn't mention anything about how soon or otherwise you have to purchase a ticket.

Logic (hah!) would suggest that as long as the parking period paid for covered the total amount of time in the car-park (i.e. you pulled in, parked, went elsewhere for 45 mins, came back, paid for an hours parking, then left) that there is no actual loss incurred.
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 131,275 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Yep the £100 is hidden in the small print - and do the t&cs at the top include 'overstay' as a contravention or mention what maximum time as a 'grace period' is allowed in that car park to get a ticket after reading the signs (minimum ten mins at that arrival stage alone, is mandatory in the BPA CoP).

When you get to POPLA stage (not yet, the first appeal is an easy short template) this example I wrote on pepipoo would be a start as your base for appeal wording for POPLA (deliberately long):

http://forums.pepipoo.com/index.php?showtopic=109215

It would need the name of the parking firm changing of course (proof reading and tweaking of irrelevant words is your job!) and you can add:

Grace Periods allowed by the BPA Code of Practice not contravened (search the forum for 'Grace Periods POPLA' to find that wording for that point, which needs to quote the CoP)
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • Fruitcake
    Fruitcake Posts: 58,217 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    They say that credit cards WILL incur a charge. That puts the total over 100 quid which is a breach of the BPA CoP.

Do the signs show premium rate 'phone numbers? They are also prohibited.
    I married my cousin. I had to...
    I don't have a sister. :D
    All my screwdrivers are cordless.
    "You're Safety Is My Primary Concern Dear" - Laks
  • Carthesis wrote: »
    Logic (hah!) would suggest that as long as the parking period paid for covered the total amount of time in the car-park (i.e. you pulled in, parked, went elsewhere for 45 mins, came back, paid for an hours parking, then left) that there is no actual loss incurred.
    Assuming the ANPR timestamps are correct, the total time in the car park exceeds the time paid for by approx 45mins :(
    Coupon-mad wrote: »
    Yep the £100 is hidden in the small print - and do the t&cs at the top include 'overstay' as a contravention or mention what maximum time as a 'grace period' is allowed in that car park to get a ticket after reading the signs (minimum ten mins at that arrival stage alone, is mandatory in the BPA CoP).
    No specific mention of overstay, but it does state "All users must pay the appropriate fee for the duration of their visit..." No mention of a grace period at all.
    Fruitcake wrote: »
    They say that credit cards WILL incur a charge. That puts the total over 100 quid which is a breach of the BPA CoP.
    Thanks, that's a useful point to mention at the POPLA stage
    Fruitcake wrote: »
    Do the signs show premium rate 'phone numbers? They are also prohibited.
    No, the main sign shows a local geographic number
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport