Who knows ? In debt & suicidal, you are not alone, read on PLEASE

Sazzie23
Sazzie23 Posts: 2,634 Forumite
First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Post of the Month
edited 2 November 2015 at 7:02AM in Debt-free wannabe
I don't really know where to post this but it's on my mind so I'm going to do it anyway.

Today I read a really sad report in the paper about a man in his 60s who committed suicide because of the debt he had got into, including PDL. I'm sure the circs are complicated, these things usually are, but if you are reading this now, and feeling the same thoughts,

If you feel like this - Please - Ring the Samaritans Freecall 116123

and then look at dealing with your debts - try Stepchange a free charity that can help
call us call Free on 0800 138 1111

Mon-Fri 8am-8pm, Sat 8am-4pm

Checkout stepchange.org - you can do the debt remedy anonymously. It may not be as bad as you think, and they will show you a way through it.

If you think someone you know might be suffering the same, please try to find a way of giving this information to them, you might just change their life.

I know these things have happened before, and may happen again, but I also know there are a lot of lurkers out there and maybe, just maybe this might help one of them.

Updated Nov 2015 with new contact information. Please feel free to re-post wherever this might help someone.
Debt -it's a fight that I'm winning, dealing with debt one day at a time.
Estimated DFD August 2018 - 2031 - now 2027 :T

Guide dog Tess, missing Scotland 2 years

DMP support no438.

Comments

• excellent advice x
  • LondonGirl252
    LondonGirl252 Posts: 1,983 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Absolutley, great post
    Santander 0% £1,529.94
    Sainsbury's 0% £4,371.31
    Total 0% £5,901.25
    AIM: Pay off debt & simultaneously save for deposit to buy a house by Oct 2020.
    Mar Challenge: Stay within groceries & eating out budget.
  • Sazzie23
    Thanks folks

I've decided I will keep trying to adding to this thread to try to keep it on the front pages.

The thought of someone being so miserable they commit suicide over money when there is help fills me with sadness.

DMP support no438.
  • double_mummy
    double_mummy Posts: 3,989 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    sazzie great post!!!!!
    The only people I have to answer to are my beautiful babies aged 8 and 5
  • Karen777
    Karen777 Posts: 416 Forumite
    I agree, excellent idea Sazzie. Would it be possible to have some kind of sticky or something with the Samaritans telephone number/ text number and email address so that people just see it rather than even having to look at or click on a thread? Like a panic button? Or just highlighted really clearly somehow? Many of us have been on the edge of that hole and whilst with hindsight I now know that something can always be done and that I don't want to give money lenders my mental health or my life, at the time it's really can't see that anything will change.
    Debt at highest - June 2013 - 26k/ March 2018 - 2500
    Proud to be dealing with my debts
  • Tixy
    Tixy Posts: 31,455 Forumite
    Sazzie you might want to change the title of your thread to include the words debts and suicidal.

That way if people search for those terms it would be more likely to come up in a search.

You might also want to edit your first post to include the samaritans phone number and website address.
    A smile enriches those who receive without making poorer those who give
    or "It costs nowt to be nice"
  • SOMam
    SOMam Posts: 102 Forumite
    Thank you Sazzie for beginning this topic. I have been skulking around these forums for some time and finally plucked up the courage to make a forum account. This is my first post so please bear with me.

It pains me to admit it but those kinds of thoughts have circled my mind on occasions where I finally start believing my financial situation has improved only to be hit with a debt out of the blue. As a sufferer of Depression, Social Anxiety and being isolated from family, friends (for reasons I naturally do not wish to discuss at this moment) waking up on a rare "good day" and opening the mail to discover repayment demands from debts you were unaware that you had is completely devastating.

While I appreciate that it may sound overly dramatic, Suffering from Mental Health problems can at times severely restrict your ability to see things clearly and process what is happening in a way that you can see a good outcome.

I recently had one of these moments. After a few consecutive "good days" I received a demand for repayment of a Tax Credits overpayment to the tune of about £1500 from 2007. Being primarily on benefits the molehill that was £1500 became the mountain that was impossible thanks to the automatic negative thinking that comes with depression. (I am a single parent to a child with their own Mental/physical difficulties and I work only 6 and a half hours a week at the moment as I am starting to return to work following illness from which I am still waiting for my first wage) The feeling of complete hopelessness was too overwhelming and all I could do was breakdown. Thankfully after initial reactions to sudden things like this I am able to think clearly enough to understand I have a son.....A son who needs me…..and this is the proverbial first rung to the ladder out of the depression/anxiety hole for me. If I can grasp on to that thought for long enough I can then begin to sort myself out.

I spent so many years suffering alone due to the stigma of having mental health problems and admitting I was having problems to even the closest of family members was excruciatingly difficult but was ultimately the best thing I ever did.

The help and support is available and I can only urge people who are struggling, even if they don’t have debts, to talk to someone about it. You can remain anonymous when contacting charities such as mind.org and samaritans but simply talking can make a difference and please believe me when I say you are not the only one even though it feels like you are.

I have several links I wish I could share but unfortunately as a newcomer I am not allowed to post them. However, I will add them to this thread when I can finally post them!

One last time, and I can't stress this enough....

You are not alone and the help is there for you so please talk to someone
    DFD - 12/2016 with 6.7% paid as of 07/14
    £ saved = 168.16 lbs lost = 4
    Weekly Spend Challenge(7/9) £20/£0
    Sept GC - £78.11/£300 Sept NSD's = 4
    OS Weight Loss Challenge - 0lb/5lb
  • SOMam wrote: »
    Thank you Sazzie for beginning this topic. I have been skulking around these forums for some time and finally plucked up the courage to make a forum account. This is my first post so please bear with me.

It pains me to admit it but those kinds of thoughts have circled my mind on occasions where I finally start believing my financial situation has improved only to be hit with a debt out of the blue. As a sufferer of Depression, Social Anxiety and being isolated from family, friends (for reasons I naturally do not wish to discuss at this moment) waking up on a rare "good day" and opening the mail to discover repayment demands from debts you were unaware that you had is completely devastating.

While I appreciate that it may sound overly dramatic, Suffering from Mental Health problems can at times severely restrict your ability to see things clearly and process what is happening in a way that you can see a good outcome.

I recently had one of these moments. After a few consecutive "good days" I received a demand for repayment of a Tax Credits overpayment to the tune of about £1500 from 2007. Being primarily on benefits the molehill that was £1500 became the mountain that was impossible thanks to the automatic negative thinking that comes with depression. (I am a single parent to a child with their own Mental/physical difficulties and I work only 6 and a half hours a week at the moment as I am starting to return to work following illness from which I am still waiting for my first wage) The feeling of complete hopelessness was too overwhelming and all I could do was breakdown. Thankfully after initial reactions to sudden things like this I am able to think clearly enough to understand I have a son.....A son who needs me…..and this is the proverbial first rung to the ladder out of the depression/anxiety hole for me. If I can grasp on to that thought for long enough I can then begin to sort myself out.

I spent so many years suffering alone due to the stigma of having mental health problems and admitting I was having problems to even the closest of family members was excruciatingly difficult but was ultimately the best thing I ever did.

The help and support is available and I can only urge people who are struggling, even if they don’t have debts, to talk to someone about it. You can remain anonymous when contacting charities such as mind.org and samaritans but simply talking can make a difference and please believe me when I say you are not the only one even though it feels like you are.

I have several links I wish I could share but unfortunately as a newcomer I am not allowed to post them. However, I will add them to this thread when I can finally post them!

What an absolutely lovely post SOMam.

You sound like a wonderfully kind person, and going through what you have has given you a compassion for those going through the same.

Good luck with your journey ....
    Make £10 a day 2024
    Jan £193.68/£280
  • Sazzie23
    SOMam wrote: »

I think the response we've had so far to this thread is proof, you are not alone. Welcome SOmam and thank you so much for sharing, it's really important to have a voice.

Many thanks to others for advice on editing and links, I'm going to have a try at these over the weekend.

Cheers everyone and thanks for your support

DMP support no438.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills