Single DFW

Options

Comments

• Laconic
    Laconic Posts: 186 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Hi,

I'm single too. On one hand it means no one to blame. On the other, it means no one to negotiate with. I've been in debt more years than I've been out of debt and while the 'modest' amount I have now isn't bad, I reckon it's time to take control.
    So far, YNAB is changing my life. :)
    LBM: June 2023. Amount owed: ~£10,000I've gone debt free before, I can do it again!
  • Muhren
    Muhren Posts: 1,703 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    edited 25 April 2014 at 9:09AM
    Options
    So after my less than money saving past month or so I have updated my sig. On top of the stag do and weddings I also needed two new front tyres and the tracking adjusted. Also the loss of a couple of weeks rent between the new tenants moving in and agent fees, this has meant I haven't shaved too much off my debt since my last post but definately don't have any regrets.

So back to the debt busting, I don't think my dfd has moved as I am still looking at June '16 although I won't technically be debt free until Oct at the earliest when I can cash in my shares at work.
    LBM: Dec 2012 - Debt £38,180/ Now £0.
    DFD - 17/04/2016
    Gambling: The sure way of getting nothing from something.

• Muhren
    Options
    So I had my statement from my dad yesterday, as he is looking after my money and have updated my sig.

I have had to have someone in to fix my water softener in my house, another £185 which will be added to next months bill and have my car insurance and MOT at the end of the month. My car has needed working doing the last couple of times so am expecting more money will need to be spent this time as well.

Something else I hadn't factored in that I will need to pay is for an accountant to sort out my tax on the earnings from the rent I am collecting. So that is looking like another £850!!!
    DFD - 17/04/2016

• Danni-R
    Danni-R Posts: 641 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Can you not try and sort it out yourself?

I think my dad does his and although he's an accountant its all on line. Keep receipts for everything.

Hows the love life?
    [STRIKE]£2200[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]£1950[/STRIKE][STRIKE]£1850[/STRIKE] £1600 on my credit card
    £1200 of £6000 Savings
  • Muhren
    Options
    Danni-R wrote: »
    Can you not try and sort it out yourself?

I think my dad does his and although he's an accountant its all on line. Keep receipts for everything.

Hows the love life?

I hadn't thought about doing it myself as I didn't really know where to start to be honest. The £850 is the accountant fees plus the tax I will be required to pay on my rental earnings from the past year.

Nothing to report on that front as per usual!

How is everything with you?
    DFD - 17/04/2016

• Muhren
    Options
    A little update from me, my debt reduction in the short term is going to slow down on a monthly basis as my employer had doubled the amount we are allowed to put into our share save scheme so I will be putting in £500 a month from October.

Although it will be difficult not seeing my debt reduce each month I am trying to look at the bigger picture as in the long run it should enable me to pay my debt back quicker.

I am also trying to make some money on ebay by getting things at discounted prices and hoping to make a little profit. It might not work out but nothing ventured nothing gained right?
    DFD - 17/04/2016

• duesouthtwin2
    Options
    Hello. Mind if I join? I am 31 years old and working full time. A 4 year relationship broke up this time last year and I was devastated. Never saw each other due to out shifts and ultimately I suppose he was "just not that into me" to make the sacrifice. I have had a range of jobs after my degree and all helping me to climb the career ladder but not well paid. Current job is the best ever at £27k a year. Managing to save £400 a month and have £2000 saved. Paying £500 to rent a room with bulls included in a shared flat and have a few bills. Frustrated though. I had a really bad childhood and sometimes it's hard to see how lucky other people are. Lots of my friends have had their driving lessons paid for and given a few thousand for deposits to buy places. I am struggling to save and caught between my dream of learning to drive but knowing on going costs of a car - and knowing I am getting older so need to be on the property ladder. Challenge of saving thousands on my own, it's so expensive in London and I would never be able to afford s mortgage on my own and if I look outside then I do need to drive to commit to work. Depressed particularly I think because around the time of the break up, studying for my job expands and having to move rooms twice in a row due to bad landlords - my twin sister was getting married to a soldier and they moved into a big house provided by the military and they have no bills. I am happy but life just seems to work out easier and better for others. I want to find love and feel that someone cares about me for once, I am tired of being scared about my financial future and scraping every penny while everyone around me gets married, buys houses and has loads of money with no struggle. Sorry to rant. Nice to hear there are other singles in this world. Having a depressive moment!
    Debt free. House deposit £60k. Aim for £70k. 2024/2025- move to Scotland. Overtime at work. 2028- buy a horse
  • Muhren
    Options
    Hi Duesouthtwin and welcome to the SAD thread.

I know how you feel when it seems everyone around you is doing so well and settling down, it can be frustrating. It could be worse you could be in my postion in lots of debt and back living at home with your folks at 31.

You are managing to save £400 a month which is great so just keep plugging away. If you post a SOA people on here will be able to help you cut back you spending in certain areas.

Keep posting and hopefully it will motivate you to reach your goals.
    DFD - 17/04/2016

• duesouthtwin2
    Options
    Thank you. Feeling a bit better now. I have a great job which is a career for me, got my health, know how strong I am as I have made it so far. Thinking that I will focus on a career project first, then learn to drive, move to a nicer area and rent a single room which will be cheaper then focus on a deposit. Saving £400 a month all the while this career project is completed which will take a few months, then learning to drive as cheaply as I can, paying less for a single room =keeping my costs down helping me save. Realised I am.putting way too much pressure on myself. I am 31 years old. Even if I just manage to save £200 a month at my most basic -that's still £24k in 10 years. Will save more of course, do bank holidays and move up my career ladder to improve my salary. All in good time. Maybe meet the man of my dreams one day?! Knowing I can scrape some sort of deposit together on my own in time helps. Thanks for listening :)
    Debt free. House deposit £60k. Aim for £70k. 2024/2025- move to Scotland. Overtime at work. 2028- buy a horse
  • Muhren
    Options
    You are already sounding so much more positive in the space of a couple of weeks which is great to hear. I'm sure with that attitude you will be driving to your new house sooner than you think!
    DFD - 17/04/2016

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure