income tax and having two jobs.

I have worked in a part time permanent position for the last few years (while I've been a student) and my tax code is 522L. Happy that my tax and NI deductions have been correct.

In Sept 2007 I started a new full time job, earning better money and my tax code has been put as BR/1.

My new employer has not asked for a P45 or for me to complete any other tax forms - indeed I won't have a P45 'cos I'm not giving up the other job.

So I'm currently working two jobs and having tax/NI deductions in both.
Is this acceptable? I am assuming that at the end of the tax year I will be able to sort of any under/overpayments of tax by completing a tax return? I have no experience of tax returns etc and just wanted to check that sounds okay before I get into any trouble lol. Should I do anything now?

I would welcome any thoughts. Thanks :)

Comments

• if you wish to have the beneift of your allowances at your full time job you will need to complete form P46. This will tell your tax office that this is your main job. You part time job will then be taxed at Basic rate. However if you are earning over your Personal allowance and lower rate band in your part time job there is little reason to transfer your allowances. Your employer should hold copies of P46 and will need to be given back to them to complete their part and send on to their tax office
    Barclays - Reclaiming - £3380 - stayed 30/08/07 - £2261 goodwill 20/02/09
    Abbey - Reclaiming £250 - 1st letter - stayed
    MBNA - Reclaiming £400 - received £294
    Morgan Stanley - Reclaiming £138 - received £120
    MINT - reclaiming £110 - received £90
    A&L - £170 charges - £170 back!
  • jem16
    jem16 Posts: 19,398 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    What has happened is correct.

If your part time job earns less than £7445 ( personal allowance of £5225 plus £2230 10% band ) it may be worth asking HMRC to apply your main tax code of 522L to your new full time job as you won't be using all your allowances. If more than that it does not matter.

NI will be paid in both jobs if you are earning enough.

You are unlikely to need to complete a tax return. If you feel you are owed a rebate you just need to complete form R40 to get it.
    http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/forms/r40.pdf
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport