PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Ground rent scandal - PETITION

Options

Comments

• ASGM
    ASGM Posts: 4 Newbie
    Options
    Freeholders have been enjoying this ground rent regime for too long, I think if anybody has to ‘pay’ it should be them

Laws change constantly, the change this petition proposes is about fairness and justice and moving on from a feudal, rotten system

And you haven’t answered my point: is it fair for old leaseholders to be at great disadvantage if ground rent is abolished only for some as the government plans?
  • eddddy
    eddddy Posts: 16,441 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 19 March 2018 at 5:29AM
    Options
    ASGM wrote: »
    And you haven!!!8217;t answered my point: is it fair for old leaseholders to be at great disadvantage if ground rent is abolished only for some as the government plans?

I think a lot of people would argue it's fair because of free market economics.

As an example,

A developer might currently sell new propeties for for £150k because the leaseholders have to pay £500 per year ground rent.

After the new legislation, the developer might sell new properties of the same type for £160k because the ground rent is zero.

(Using this example, if the government abolished ground rent on existing leaseholds, there would be a whole different set of fairness issues - they would be forcing freeholders to give 'old' leaseholders a free gift of £10k, but 'new' leaseholders would get nothing.)
  • davidmcn
    davidmcn Posts: 23,596 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Freeholders have been enjoying this ground rent regime for too long, I think if anybody has to ‘pay’ it should be them
    I'll say it again - it is not possible for Parliament to abolish anybody's property rights without them being compensated. If your petition is to ask Parliament to do something which is impossible for them to do then it seems a waste of everybody's time.
    And you haven’t answered my point: is it fair for old leaseholders to be at great disadvantage if ground rent is abolished only for some as the government plans?
    Yes, because the value of the leaseholder's interest takes into account the rent. If it's an onerous rental clause then that will discount the price. If buyers aren't getting adequate advice about that, then they already have remedies available against their professional advisers.
  • Richard_Webster
    Options
    Yes, because the value of the leaseholder's interest takes into account the rent. If it's an onerous rental clause then that will discount the price. If buyers aren't getting adequate advice about that, then they already have remedies available against their professional advisers.

The valuation should take the rent into account but the problem is that builders get away with these awful clauses because people are so in love with the new build in question that they are not prepared to walk away because the house/flat that is being sold is too expensive. Someone else comes along and buys it using some supposedly cheap "online" conveyancer who doesn't really give proper advice about the issue.

Sadly, while people are prepared to accept these clause builders get away with them.
    RICHARD WEBSTER

As a retired conveyancing solicitor I believe the information given in the post to be useful assuming any properties concerned are in England/Wales but I accept no liability for it.
  • kinger101
    kinger101 Posts: 6,282 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Sadly, while people are prepared to accept these clause builders get away with them.

These types of leasehold agreements have now been banned for houses. The government did respond pretty quickly to be fair.
    "Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance" - Confucius
  • Norman_Castle
    Norman_Castle Posts: 11,871 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    When new, leasehold properties would have been cheaper because someone else would have paid for the freehold. Is it fair to remove the annual ground rent cost of older properties at no cost to the leaseholders? One option could be forcing freeholders to sell the freehold to leaseholders at the market rate.
  • ASGM
    ASGM Posts: 4 Newbie
    Options
    I don’t think builders will be able to increase the prices of new flats to compensate for the loss of ground rent

In fact after the announcement on new leases builders’ share prices have dropped significantly

The only obvious and unfair consequence of this will be a negative effect on existing leases with ground rent

Re the fact that existing freeholders’ income is basically untouchable and new regulations can only adjust something wrong for future contracts, there are plenty of cases to prove this theory wrong

I will use just one example: slavery. When this has been abolished, I don’t think the new law said sorry this is going to be applicable only for new borns, while existing slaves will remain slaves cause you know we can’t touch the acquired rights of their owners
  • davidmcn
    davidmcn Posts: 23,596 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Re the fact that existing freeholders’ income is basically untouchable and new regulations can only adjust something wrong for future contracts, there are plenty of cases to prove this theory wrong

I will use just one example: slavery. When this has been abolished, I don’t think the new law said sorry this is going to be applicable only for new borns, while existing slaves will remain slaves cause you know we can’t touch the acquired rights of their owners

Not sure slavery is a great example, considering that slave-owners were given compensation when it was abolished in the UK!

As I pointed out above, it wouldn't be compliant with the ECHR for Parliament to remove property rights without compensation.

More realistically you could provide for existing rents to be phased out gradually, by e.g. requiring them to be redeemed at the time of the next purchase (i.e. at a point when the leaseholder has some liquid assets floating about).
  • economic
    economic Posts: 3,002 Forumite
    Options
    davidmcn wrote: »
    Not sure slavery is a great example, considering that slave-owners were given compensation when it was abolished in the UK!

As I pointed out above, it wouldn't be compliant with the ECHR for Parliament to remove property rights without compensation.

More realistically you could provide for existing rents to be phased out gradually, by e.g. requiring them to be redeemed at the time of the next purchase (i.e. at a point when the leaseholder has some liquid assets floating about).

That’s actually a very good idea. It’s the leaseholders mistake for buying the property in the first place. There’s nothing wrong with ground rents. In fact it can be thought of as a form of financing. It appears the leaseholders who complain are a bit too dim to realise it’s sometimes an expensive form of financing plus they may have paid a price comparable to an equivalent freehold property.

Leaseholders need to accept they made a mistake. They should have got a surveyor who should have explained if they were over paying or underpaying which is a function of the ground rent terms. The only recourse leaseholders have is possibly the surveyor.

A solicitor would most likely have done their job. Their job is to state what the terms are and what leaseholder will have to pay in ground rent. Not explain how it’s such a bad deal as that’s where the price comes in and so that’s where the surveyor comes in.
  • economic
    economic Posts: 3,002 Forumite
    Options
    Of course why bother with a surveyor when you are buying a new build? That!!!8217;s what a buyer would typically think and that!!!8217;s their own mistake. Always get a proper survey done and crucially to find out whether you are overpaying or not!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure