Owl intuition con

Comments

• My owl intuition will read a daily total of 4 times the amount of the FIT meter, it will read 0.35kw even when the inverter says it is generating nothing. I know this is not right but does anyone have an idea of the cause?
  • Well I've been blithely ignoring the subscription demands thinking they were spam. D'oh!
    I'm not bothered about data logging but would be gutted (and very angry) if I couldn't control my central heating from my phone any more . I'm disabled and getting from the couch to the thermostat and back again is probably about a 15 minute round trip.

Having said that, I'm a professional software developer and the only reason I chose OWL in the first place was because their published API meant I should be able to control it using software I had written myself. I had some big idea about writing an app to control the various remote controlled gadgets in my house from a single interface. That was over 4 years ago and of course I still haven't got around to writing the app.

Maybe it's about time I got started on the OWL bit of it at least. If I have any luck I will post here and make my software freely available to anyone who wants it.

BTW I must say I personally have found OWL to be 100% reliable - possibly because my broadband is pretty solid too.
  • It turns out to be quite easy to control the Network Owl without using the official Owl app.
    However, a kind of "password" called a UDP key is needed to make the Network Owl respond to commands. This is freely available from the Owl Intuition Web Dashboard, though whether or not you will still have access to it if your subscription runs out is another question altogether, so I suggest you make a note of it right now. Here's how to find it:

Log in to the Owl Intuition web dashboard Click “System” at the top of the page , then scroll down to “Advanced Settings” and click “Setup Data Push”. Make a note of the UDP key shown and keep it safe.
  • zeupater
    zeupater Posts: 5,355 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Hi All

.... Don't you just love the idea of physical product evolving into a service based solution ... :wall:

I like the 'old fashioned' way ... sell me a product, give me a guarantee, then leave me to break it myself when I'm ready, not when it becomes convenient to plug some revenue-stream or other! ... :)

Just think, if we're not careful it'll be cars next!

HTH
    Z
    "We are what we repeatedly do, excellence then is not an act, but a habit. " ...... Aristotle
    B)
  • Majikthi5e wrote: »
    It turns out to be quite easy to control the Network Owl without using the official Owl app.
    However, a kind of "password" called a UDP key is needed to make the Network Owl respond to commands. This is freely available from the Owl Intuition Web Dashboard, though whether or not you will still have access to it if your subscription runs out is another question altogether, so I suggest you make a note of it right now. Here's how to find it:

Log in to the Owl Intuition web dashboard Click “System” at the top of the page , then scroll down to “Advanced Settings” and click “Setup Data Push”. Make a note of the UDP key shown and keep it safe.

Well done finding out how to control the thermostat and I've made a note of my UDP key just in case someone writes a solution!

If they do withdraw access to the online portal, a feature that has been there since day one, I'll be recovering the cost of the Owl Intuition, Electricity monitor, Hub and their replacements via court.
  • waltsalt
    waltsalt Posts: 271 Forumite
    RichardP1 wrote: »
    I have written a Windows app for monitoring my Solar PV OWL, so from that point of view I don't need the web service.

Hi RichardP1, would you be willing to share the Windows app you wrote for monitoring the solar PV? i have an Owl and they have cut me off but would like to get basic monitoring back in place. Cheers.
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    I thought they had disable my heating back in Jan as it went offline turns out it still works.

new email says cutoff end of Feb.

There has been some work on standalone driver using the UDP interface by people on the energy monitoring side, all is not lost for now you can keep it working.

Also noticed a firmware update has turned up!
  • I have also had the same emails from the owl and have been ignoring them.
    I managed to get my own thermostat controller and voice control rigged up. So i no longer need there interface or controls.
    It consists of a combination of a node.js module from the node library called "owlintuition" : npmjs.com/package/owlintuition
    and the Home Assistant project : home-assistant.io
    These can now be triggered via Google Home and Alexa using Home Assistant as the middle man.

I can read the PV and electricity data and display it on my custom dashboard.
    Interface No1 : ibb.co/kVNb87
    Interface No2 : ibb.co/dyuRan
    And this generic thermostat : ibb.co/gjahFn

Like previous posters mentioned, its simply pushing data to the UDP interface of the OWL on your local network. it no longer needs to talk home for configuration.
    I can set timers, temps, away mode, read all the necessary data and boost heating.

If anyone needs any pointers or wants to see the code, let me know.
  • GavinW wrote: »
    I have also had the same emails from the owl and have been ignoring them.
    I managed to get my own thermostat controller and voice control rigged up. So i no longer need there interface or controls.
    It consists of a combination of a node.js module from the node library called "owlintuition" : npmjs.com/package/owlintuition
    and the Home Assistant project : home-assistant.io
    These can now be triggered via Google Home and Alexa using Home Assistant as the middle man.

I can read the PV and electricity data and display it on my custom dashboard.
    Interface No1 : ibb.co/kVNb87
    Interface No2 : ibb.co/dyuRan
    And this generic thermostat : ibb.co/gjahFn

Like previous posters mentioned, its simply pushing data to the UDP interface of the OWL on your local network. it no longer needs to talk home for configuration.
    I can set timers, temps, away mode, read all the necessary data and boost heating.

If anyone needs any pointers or wants to see the code, let me know.

I would love it if you could somehow share the code, I'm sure others would find it useful to.

Cheers,
    Steve
  • Would really like to recive as much information as possible on how to set up an alternative to the owl dashboard. When I purchased mine I was told there was no intention of ever charging for the network and having read the reports dont want to be left with out a working system.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure