Owl intuition con

Comments

• Ok, I'm probably going to swap mine out for a Hive system. I didn't think they did the hot water as well but it turns out they do. There is a special offer on Amazon at the moment for £120
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Forumite
    The unit can be controlled independently as it listens on a UDP port for commands, looks like you need to get the UDP key from the network owl for these to work. you can get this from the settings so probably worth getting it anyway just in case.
  • getmore4less
    Forumite
    Derham wrote: »
    Ok, I'm probably going to swap mine out for a Hive system. I didn't think they did the hot water as well but it turns out they do. There is a special offer on Amazon at the moment for £120

Think that Hive hot water is just on/off I like the OWL I can have different temps at different times.

I want to keep mine going so I can think about heating and integrations with home automation for the next upgrade.
  • chris_n
    chris_n Posts: 607
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    I've got my UDP key and have downloaded all of the relevant files from the website for furure reference. I tried the listener app last year with no success but could find the transmissions with wireshark. Maybe I'll have a look when I get back home after the winter.
    Living the dream in the Austrian Alps.
  • getmore4less
    Forumite
    I got the multicast listener to work this morning, checked with some updates to the system.

The spec for the output is out of date.

I can see the multicast output on the network but not the traffic between the gateway and the server, I will need to move the network sniffer closer to see whats there.

Will try to find time to play with the UDP interface.
  • Hi if you haven't already bought it from Amazon AO have a better offer of £124 but on top there is £30 cashback plus you get 4% commission through Quidco if you order it today so makes it incredible affordable. £30 only available on self install options. ��
  • I've only got the monitor to check what PV I'm generating and know whether to switch the dishwasher on etc. I've a diverter for spare power to go to my immersion, but unlike many here I don't use it to control my central heating. In fact with having a wood burner I very rarely use my CH - a successful test the other day, but that's it so far this autumn.

£20 upfront to a fragile company just for monitoring doesn't seem like a good idea, so I wonder what alternatives are available.
  • getmore4less
    Forumite
    I've only got the monitor to check what PV I'm generating and know whether to switch the dishwasher on etc. I've a diverter for spare power to go to my immersion, but unlike many here I don't use it to control my central heating. In fact with having a wood burner I very rarely use my CH - a successful test the other day, but that's it so far this autumn.

£20 upfront to a fragile company just for monitoring doesn't seem like a good idea, so I wonder what alternatives are available.

That unit should be outputting the data so you can just collect it in your own software, if you google there are people out there that seem doing it for the PV monitor.

yet to find one for the heating might have to do my own.
  • I have written a Windows app for monitoring my Solar PV OWL, so from that point of view I don't need the web service. However, when I originally go the system you could change the batteries in the transmitter device and then re-pair with the receiver by pressing the pairing buttons on both devices. Now, after a software update quite a few years ago, you have to change the batteries and re-pair using the web site. What is not clear from the e-mail about introducing a subscription, is will you still be able to change the batteries if you don't pay?

If you can't change the batteries the system will be useless once the batteries fail. Originally when purchased the device would have continued working without the web service. What is the legal position here? They have provided a device with certain documented features, then changed those features and then at a later date require payment for maintaining the new, unwanted but essential, requirement.
  • Mel_Frank
    Mel_Frank Posts: 6 Forumite
    edited 22 November 2017 at 5:31PM
    I've now given up on OWL internet use. Conversations with them by a friend of mine doesn't give me any confidence in the company anymore, and that it has had internet off periods over the last couple months. Just using the electricity monitor locally and got a really cheap Hive system for heating and hot water control. Took me 20 minutes to swap it over to Hive, AND it works with my Echo. I can now talk to my Heating and Hot Water and it works great.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure