PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Cooking for one

Comments

• karcher
    karcher Posts: 2,069 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    caronc wrote: »
    Have a virtual hug :grouphug:

I love "picky bits" meals - a little bit of lots of things you fancy can never be a bad thing :D

Thanks caron :)
    'I'm sinking in the quicksand of my thought
    And I ain't got the power anymore'
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    On the subject of straining pasta, I have a simple plastic handheld strainer and would hold a dish in one hand and that in the other and tip it .... or I've got a bigger collander that stands on its own and I'd hold that over the sink and tip stuff into it.

I did, the other week, purchase a collander that looks useful at £land - it's a collander that sits inside a bowl ... in effect giving a stand alone strainer that doesn't have to be held over the sink. It's two separate parts that dovetail together.

It's not on their website - and it's not on Google images... but if you ignore the fact this one is a goose ... it's not dissimilar to this arrangement:
    https://s17.postimg.org/nwsobf6gf/Collander.jpg

Although I bought it thinking "that'll be handy ... for something ... one day" - I am now actually using it for an entirely different job. When I wash out tins/trays for recycling I tend to leave them in the "half" part of the 1.5 sink - but it's hard for them to dry there, so then I prop them up - and you can end up with items for recycling that aren't quite dry yet lying around in 2-3 spots. Now I pop them into the strainer to drip dry and that can be kept anywhere.
  • caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,083 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    PN- that's simliar to the set up I use though mine is a separately bought colander and bowl!

PS- Why do you dry your recycling I just wash/rinse out and pop in the recycling wheelie bin?
  • PasturesNew
    edited 21 April 2017 at 9:04PM
    Today I've had:

Lunch: Sausages, potatoes, baked beans
    Random Scoff: Tomato sandwich (2 slices/1 tomato)
    Random Scoff: 2 'weetabix', milk, sugar
    Random Scoff: Final 8 chocolates from the 250g bag I bought just yesterday!

Well - that's the end of the pack of 6 salad tomatoes I bought last week! Just the rest of the cherry tomatoes to go. They were 71p for 6, so 12p each. Each sandwich is a budget-busting 17p max. I like to make them and store them in a plastic box so they get soggy ... it's a childhood thing... best made and squeezed into a sandwich box, then carried around in your bag for 3-4 hours in the hot sun for max effect. Mum used to make them for when we went swimming as it was an outdoor pool with a grassy area to sit.
  • PasturesNew

PS- Why do you dry your recycling I just wash/rinse out and pop in the recycling wheelie bin?

Because I only put the recycling bin out about 2x a year - I could go a whole year before it filled up .... so I like things to go in there absolutely dry else it'd fester.
  • caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,083 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Because I only put the recycling bin out about 2x a year - I could go a whole year before it filled up .... so I like things to go in there absolutely dry else it'd fester.
    I knew there would be a reason, mine goes out every fortnight even if just part full so I don't need to worry about pongs. In my area if you don't put your recycling out regularly you get stiff letters reminding you to do so and the importance of recycling .......;)
  • PasturesNew
    edited 21 April 2017 at 9:09PM
    I knew there would be a reason, mine goes out every fortnight even if just part full so I don't need to worry about pongs. In my area if you don't put your recycling out regularly you get stiff letters reminding you to do so and the importance of recycling .......;)

It's my first ever recycling bin - and after I moved in it took me over a year before I started using it - the tip's just up the road, so I'd take stuff there myself and pop it into the individual containers.

Then I decided to start using the bin ...

I am a low consumer of items. I do all the recycling possible, but I simply do not consume enough goods to make it worthwhile dragging it up the garden and through the gate, and back, once a fortnight.

Right now, 2 weeks after the last collection, it's probably got 6 pieces of junk mail and 2 empty envelopes; 12 crushed/empty fizzy pop cans; 6 crushed/empty bean tins; 2-3 ready meal black containers and a couple of other random small pieces. It'd all fit easily into a small plastic supermarket carrier bag.

For cardboards, I start with one loo roll insert, then the next 4-5 are folded in half and slid inside the first one, once it's full/tight I chuck that into the bin, so that's about one "filled loo roll inserts" a fortnight. For food packaging, I keep a reasonable sized box from a ready meal and all subsequent boxes are taken apart and folded to fit within the first box, until it's tightly bunged, then the whole lot goes into the bin, so probably one tightly filled ready-meal box of cardboard every 3 weeks.

Over the course of a year I can fill the whole thing up - but I tend to put it out about 2x a year as I get fed up with seeing it filling up so slowly.

For glassware, I have only put the container out once, it's a rectangular bucket thing - in it there were about 15 empty coffee jars, 6 empty food jars and one empty schloer bottle from Xmas Day.

The regular bin is smaller and I do tend to put it out every fortnight - it contains usually one small swing top bin of "general rubbish". If I only put it out when full it'd go out about 3-4x a year.
  • Hollyharvey
    Hollyharvey Posts: 1,939 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    karcher wrote: »
    I am having a picky bits dinner with wine.

I have crackers, blue cheese, olives, tomatoes, cucumber, celery, some sour cream and chive dip, peanuts and I know there is a pack of chorizo in the freezer which I may defrost to add to the mix.

I have some strong cheddar in the freezer too which I would liberate if I had an Lime Pickle because one of my fave snacks is a cracker, slice of mature cheddar and a liberal blob of hot and spicy lime pickle.

I like picky bits every now and again. It is something I enjoy, not just because it is easy when CFO but because I think it makes a nice meal, especially when washed down with wine.

I wouldn't want the lime pickle though. Much as I like limes, I have never been too fond of lime pickle.
  • Hollyharvey
    karcher wrote: »

ETA: failing on the not worrying front and whilst a hug from a another would be nice, as a oneski, I've become conditioned to cope on my own and shy away from company, especially at times like this :o

I'm sorry that you are worrying so much and having such a difficult time of it at the moment. I know what you mean about a hug from another, but like you I have become conditioned to coping on my own.

I have been having a few problems recently and I phoned my brother to ask him to come and see me. He said that he was going away for Easter, but that he would come over this weekend. I sent him a text earlier to ask him which day he was coming, and he had forgotten and made plans for the weekend, so back to dealing with everything myself.

I hope that things start to improve for you soon.
  • Hollyharvey
    edited 21 April 2017 at 8:19PM
    meg72 wrote: »
    Back home after a lovely week in Southport we went for various trips out including a day at Buttermere Lake. Absolutely gorgeous had no idea
    the North West had such beautiful scenery as not been that far up before.

Downside is that I have brought so many left overs back I will be living on it for a week at least.

Glad you had a good time away. Left overs seem to follow us all around!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure