Route 66 Models... scam or real?

Hi Everyone

I just wanted to find out if anyone had signed up with Route 66 Models? I was going to sign up with them but they wanted a £50 deposit which they refund when you show up to the test shoot. I wasn't comfortable handing the money on the phone. Are they above board?

Thanks

Nadia

Comments

• Guest101
    Guest101 Posts: 15,764 Forumite
    the website says no joining fees - which seems quite suspect

but there doesn't seem to be any google scam warnings
  • marliepanda
    marliepanda Posts: 7,186 Forumite
    Nadia_J wrote: »
    Hi Everyone

I just wanted to find out if anyone had signed up with Route 66 Models? I was going to sign up with them but they wanted a £50 deposit which they refund when you show up to the test shoot. I wasn't comfortable handing the money on the phone. Are they above board?

Thanks

Nadia

No reputable model company charges for photos or to put you on the books.

If they want you, they will pay for your transport, everything. They'll fight over you.
  • IAmWales
    IAmWales Posts: 2,024 Forumite
    They're not a modelling agency, they are a "platform" that kindly puts together a portfolio for you. If the £50 is a deposit goodness knows what the full cost would be.

The director has 190 active directorships and 3184 resigned directorships :eek:
  • robatwork
    robatwork Posts: 7,086
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    IAmWales wrote: »
    The director has 190 active directorships and 3184 resigned directorships :eek:

This tells you everything you need to know.

Your £50 deposit will turn into a £500 photographic fee...
  • paddyrg
    paddyrg Posts: 13,543 Forumite
    we are not a recruitment or employment company

'nuff said ;-)
  • pinkjets
    pinkjets Posts: 23 Forumite
    Hi, my stepson is in the same position, he has been asked to do a Photoshop with a £50 refundable deposit as long as he keeps the appointment on the day. We would have to travel quite a distance and I was wondering if you progressed any further and if any e has any experience/comments on Route 66? Many thanks! :-)
  • paddyrg
    paddyrg Posts: 13,543 Forumite
    edited 19 April 2017 at 4:09PM
    Hasn't the above made you cautious enough? ;-)

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5635728 is an experience in a related space with a different company
  • pinkjets wrote: »
    Hi, my stepson is in the same position, he has been asked to do a Photoshop with a £50 refundable deposit as long as he keeps the appointment on the day. We would have to travel quite a distance and I was wondering if you progressed any further and if any e has any experience/comments on Route 66? Many thanks! :-)

Do not do this. Everyone who contacts them is invited. It's purely and simply designed to take money from you.

If you go along to this and pay them money, you are a cretin.

Is that clear enough?
  • tykesi
    tykesi Posts: 2,061
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    pinkjets wrote: »

Jeez, after all the other replies to the OP do you really think you need to ask this?
  • robatwork
    robatwork Posts: 7,086
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    I have changed my mind.

I think you should get your stepson to do it.
    It's a fabulous opportunity.
    This will never happen again.
    Miss it and regret it.
    Pay £50, in fact pay £5000. You will make back 10 times that in the contracts that will flood in afterwards.
    Every mile driven every penny spent is just future income in the tank.
    Can't fail.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport