Tesco mastercard declined transactions

hubb
hubb Posts: 2,482 Forumite
First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
This is a mystery why this is happening. I phoned tesco today to ask for a higher limit on my credit allowance. They took all my security details but asked for a 6 digit code which I haven't got. I have no details anywhere of it. They said unless they have it they can't access my account (even though I answered many security questions correctly). They said that they will have to send it in the post and set up again (pain in the backside) I later phoned them as our transactions have since been declined. I phoned Tesco again to ask why this has happened and they said there should be no reason that the card would be stopped (even though they can't access my account) and that the new number being sent should not have anything to do with it. well something has because I can't make a purchase and they can't access my account. Anyone else experienced this ? What a shambles. :(

Comments

• Candyapple
    Candyapple Posts: 3,384 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Intrepid Forum Explorer
    The 6 digit number is your security code, did you not try the same one you use when you log in online?

If your transactions are being declined you are probably correct in that they wrongly blocked your account because you failed security. Either that or usually the number they give to call the CS advisor will ask you to verify the transactions you have made.

Also, did you realise that you didn't have to call Tesco in the first place to increase your limit - you could have done it all online.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Credit Cards, Loans, Credit Files & Ratings boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com
  • POPPYOSCAR
    POPPYOSCAR Posts: 14,897 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Presumably you do not access your account online?
  • hubb
    edited 6 October 2015 at 8:14AM
    POPPYOSCAR wrote: »
    Presumably you do not access your account online?

No I can't because of that temporary security number which I have to wait 3-5 working days to arrive in the 21st century when we have text and email and first class post. The advisor couldn't even tell me why it had been declined as they can't get access to my account.
  • joroshe
    joroshe Posts: 41 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    If you have advised Tesco Bank of your mobile no they could have sent you a text with your security code. If transactions are being declined it may be that there is a fraud block on your account? You can also get in contact with them via Twitter
  • hubb
    I did request that they could do that but they seemed to think it has to be sent in the sloooooow post. Meanwhile I can't make any purchases.
  • prixon
    prixon Posts: 54 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I must say in my experience of many different online banking, saving and credit card websites, Tesco does seem to have the most ridiculous over-the-top security arrangements of any of them. Obviously everyone wants to be secure but there needs to be a reasonable balance of user experience and risk reduction..
  • hubb
    edited 14 October 2015 at 1:22PM
    It's a week on and I still have not received my number in the post.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure