Do I really need this enormous 110V transformer for a Makita SDS drill?

I have hired a medium corded Makita SDS (rotary hammer) drill and in order to plug it into wall power plug I was given this enormous and super heavy 110V transformer:

NBKR6GB8T3.jpg

To me it's almost like using a nuclear core to power an electric toothbrush. Why something so big for a simple drill?

Comments

• Kiran
    Kiran Posts: 1,368 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Some people don't exaggerate........... They just remember big!
  • gilbutre
    gilbutre Posts: 434 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    I'm completely useless in electricity stuff, I'm also not from the UK. This transformer won't do if I plug it in my house? But why did they provide that thing then?
  • EssexExile
    EssexExile Posts: 6,130 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    If you have a 110v drill then yes you need the transformer. They are normally used on building sites where being big, heavy, tough & yellow are good things.
    Tall, dark & handsome. Well two out of three ain't bad.
  • Strider590
    Strider590 Posts: 11,874 Forumite
    Why do people need a power station to charge an electric vehicle? Surely a USB power bank would do?
    “I may not agree with you, but I will defend to the death your right to make an a** of yourself.”

<><><><><><><><><<><><><><><><><><><><><><> Don't forget to like and subscribe \/ \/ \/
  • Alex1983
    Alex1983 Posts: 958 Forumite
    The transformer converters the drills 110v to our 240v. Plug the transformer in to the wall and the drill into the transformer.

They supply 110v because building sites don't allow 240v tools and that who they probably hire most of there kit out too.
  • The power tools supply 110V for safety, which comprises of +55V and -55V on each wire.
    The 110V is between the L and N connections on the output but the voltage to earth is restricted at 55V, which makes it safer

As it is a hire tool these are usually used on sites which require 110V power.
    baldly going on...
  • Risteard
    Risteard Posts: 1,880 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Actually baldelectrician there is no neutral on the secondary in a reduced low voltage (RLV) system. The centre tap is earthed and there are two phases 180 degrees apart. The single phase variant thereby produces 55V to Earth on either phase and 110V between phases. The three-phase variant has 63.5V to Earth on each phase and 110V between any two phases.

This should give a touch voltage in the event of a fault of only about 30V.

And to whoever claimed that it converts the 110V from the tool to 240V that is wrong. The nominal voltage is 230V (not 240V) and this is transformed down to 110V and not the other way around. Also any extension leads should be on the secondary and never on the primary side.
    RECI & Safe Electric Registered Electrical Contractor
    NICEIC Approved Contractor
    ECA Registered Member
  • gilbutre
    gilbutre Posts: 434 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Strider590 wrote: »
    Why do people need a power station to charge an electric vehicle? Surely a USB power bank would do?

What a stupid comment...
  • onomatopoeia99
    onomatopoeia99 Posts: 6,957 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Risteard wrote: »
    The nominal voltage is 230V (not 240V)
    The nominal voltage is a fudge for pointless EU harmonization (it is actually stated as 230V +10%/-6% so both 240V here and 220V on the continent are within the nominal range)

In practice, UK mains voltage is usually 240V. We had a monitor running in a server room at an old workplace and it occasionally dropped to 236V for a while then came back, but we never saw lower than that over the course of about three months.
    Proud member of the wokerati, though I don't eat tofu.Home is where my books are.Solar PV 5.2kWp system, SE facing, >1% shading, installed March 2019.Mortgage free July 2023
  • Credit-Crunched
    Credit-Crunched Posts: 2,212 Forumite
    If it is for work around the domestic house I would take it back and ask for a 240 drill.

Or if you can't be ars*ed just use what you have!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure