Spoilt Cake

Options

Comments

• System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Have you been watching the news over the last two days OP?

Nice guilt trip!
  • Aced2016
    Aced2016 Posts: 293 Forumite
    Options
    I do get why your annoyed ! But how can money change that ?

Getting money won't change the fact it was cracked etc.

Me personally would be happy if my day went good and we enjoyed ourselves. I would accept the apology and the £80.00 and go for a nice meal with my new husband !

Society has turned mad with money now ! Or maybe I'm the strange one. I just feel anything isn't perfect people's first thought is money, people die set up a just giving page for money. Small car accident - money it's never ending !!!

Money will not make you happy nor will it change the situation.
  • greatgimpo
    greatgimpo Posts: 1,256 Forumite
    Options
    I think £80 is nowhere near enough. I would settle for no less than their house, car and life savings - such trauma you've been through should be recognised. :cool:
  • Red-Squirrel_2
    Red-Squirrel_2 Posts: 4,341 Forumite
    Options
    avogadro wrote: »
    Nice guilt trip!

It's true though, some of the things that have happened in the last few weeks really make the small things seem insignificant.
  • emmatthews
    emmatthews Posts: 678 Forumite
    Options
    It's just a cake. It may be disappointing that it didn't live up to your expectation but it's still just cake. I would take the £80, the cake maker still paid for all the ingredients and made the cake so I think it's a pretty fair offer.

I think £300 was very reasonable for a four tier cake. You'd pay not a lot less than that buying a non bespoke one from M&S.
  • Callie22
    Callie22 Posts: 3,444 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    calleyw wrote: »
    Maybe the op is not a baker. But I am not sure I would want what is a essence a victoria sandwich with extra bits in to hold up another 3 tiers of cake.

Hence why wedding cakes are normally fruit cake as it is dense and holds it shape.

Each to there own.

Yours

Calley

The baker sounds inexperienced. Any wedding cake with more than one tier - even if it's fruit - needs dowelling or some kind of spacer to support it. I'd expect anyone charging for a cake to know that, especially if they're making 'non-traditional' (i.e. not fruit) wedding cakes with any kind of frosting that's not going to be particularly stable in warmer weather. It's not very professional to provide a cake that's not going to stand up to transport and a bit of heat and if that happened to me I'd be mortified and very apologetic - and I say that as someone who has in the past made (and charged for!) wedding cakes. You have to accept that people get a bit odd about anything to do with weddings, and it's part of the territory - and it's the main reason I no longer make wedding cakes ...
  • thorsoak
    thorsoak Posts: 7,166 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    evherkes wrote: »
    I'm not a baker that's why I went to what was supposed to be an knowledgable baker to bring my idea to reality. What I expect is honesty, if it's not realistic then tell me the ifs and buts and then work out (together) what can work. I find ssparks2003 sarcasm uncalled for.

Can I just ask that if people want to post on this then they are actually of assistance rather than a passing opinion of me... I posted to ask for advice regarding the response I recieved as I feel that £80 is unacceptable. Just in case I haven't been clear up until this point.

Thanks

For goodness sake - don't be such a snowflake! If you posted on here, expecting lots of hugs, hun ....then you posted on the wrong website. You asked for opinions - you have them. If they are not in agreement with your thinking, then take that point with you as you ponder on what to do next.

Me? In your shoes, I would think "I should have paid more for a professional cake-maker - but it tasted good". You cannot expect what is, essentially a victoria sandwich to stay fresh for more than a day or two.

Anyone with a nous of sense would have accepted that a 4-tier cake requires the bottom tier at least to be a heavy fruit cake (which does keep), covered with royal icing which would also give strength to support a further three tiers which might then be a chocolate cake, a madeira cake and a light sponge. 4 tiers plus decoration would cost in excess of £200 to make - let alone the time and skill involved in the decoration. You paid cheap - you got cheap.

Take the £80 and go for a meal with your new husband - and get on with your life and enjoy it - you do at least have a future to look forward to. Others don't.
  • Captain_Bluebear
    Captain_Bluebear Posts: 213 Forumite
    First Anniversary Debt-free and Proud!
    edited 15 June 2017 at 11:56PM
    Options
    thorsoak wrote: »
    For goodness sake - don't be such a snowflake! If you posted on here, expecting lots of hugs, hun ....then you posted on the wrong website. You asked for opinions - you have them. If they are not in agreement with your thinking, then take that point with you as you ponder on what to do next.

Me? In your shoes, I would think "I should have paid more for a professional cake-maker - but it tasted good". You cannot expect what is, essentially a victoria sandwich to stay fresh for more than a day or two.

Anyone with a nous of sense would have accepted that a 4-tier cake requires the bottom tier at least to be a heavy fruit cake (which does keep), covered with royal icing which would also give strength to support a further three tiers which might then be a chocolate cake, a madeira cake and a light sponge. 4 tiers plus decoration would cost in excess of £200 to make - let alone the time and skill involved in the decoration. You paid cheap - you got cheap.

Take the £80 and go for a meal with your new husband - and get on with your life and enjoy it - you do at least have a future to look forward to. Others don't.

Thorsoak, as ever, you put into words exactly what I didn't have the guts or time to type! Also I had no idea you had such knowledge about wedding cake construction! (it would appear from this OP's post that it's not common knowledge) but you are totally right once again!
  • Rosemary7391
    Rosemary7391 Posts: 2,879 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thorsoak, Captain Bluebear - read the next post up? Doesn't need to be fruit and Royal icing, does need appropriate support...
  • thorsoak
    thorsoak Posts: 7,166 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Rosemary - I've made wedding cakes (never for money - only ever for family) - and believe me, if you don't have a solid cake at the bottom, then a high-tier cake doesn't work! Also, in order to have best flavour and taste, there needs to be a fairly high fat/sugar content in proportion to flour/flavouring - otherwise the tiers need to be made with 48 hours of consumption. I do know what I'm talking about.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure