Everything & Anything New York City

Comments

• poor_johno wrote: »
    Anyone know if its worth waiting until I get to NY to buy a Kindle WiFi?

I have a Kindle WiFi bought in the states last year. Had absolutely no problems with it so I recommend you wait till you get to NYC and buy it there (assuming its cheaper).
  • going to Nyc on wednesday, do i buy the observation tickets before i go and when is best time, day or night. also hop on/off bus is there only one group that does this and if theres more what one is the best, thanks
  • M4RKM
    M4RKM Posts: 5,132 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Buy tickets on the day you want them, what if the weather is poor the day you have pre booked.

Hop on Hop off buses are expensive, slow, and not to be used as transportation around the city. There are 2 companies that want you to part with hundreds of dollars, at the most you should get on, do the full loop, and then explore, and use the subway to get around.

M
  • greenface
    greenface Posts: 4,871 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    Just jump on a bus to have a journey around to get your bearings and see how small manhattan really is this can be usefull and you can plan a return either on foot or subway as for paid tours . never done one yet. I suppose the SiTCity tour would be good for SiTC fans as alot of points that are not on the typical map. Personely just follow your nose
    :cool: hard as nails on the internet . wimp in the real world :cool:
  • Lady_S
    Lady_S Posts: 1,156 Forumite
    We came back on Monday, and can advise a little on the WTC.

We prebooked, and you just rock up at the correct time and go through security and that is it.

They only let so many people in her half hour, so it should never be that busy. When we went the North Tower waterfall wasn't working, but the South was, it was a thought provoking experience ( especially trying to explain it all to an incuisitive 10 year old)
  • Dave1979
    Dave1979 Posts: 134 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 16 February 2012 at 2:32PM
    We head off for 6 days there in April and have most things planned - nothing too touristy - going to some Opera at the Met, lots of eating and a lot of walking!

Where is the best place for clothes shopping? Nothing fancy - Gap, Banana Republic, American Apparell etc - wanting to stock up the basics. We would travel a little bit out the city but not wanting to go to far - some of the outlet places are quite a distance!

Also - is there anywhere I can get small bills before I go for tips etc?
  • soulanon wrote: »
    Hi,

Hoping someone can help me. I'm considering taking the wife & 2 kids to NY for the period 26/7 - 14/8 this year. Im stuck with the schools hols on account of the wife being a teacher & the kids being at school.
    I'm only looking for flights as Ill be staying with family near Yonkers & in a mountain lodge upstate. In terms of the flights - Manchester would be preferred option & am looking for best websites; cheapest carrier; suggestion on likely price ; best time to book flights etc etc.

Thanks
    K

Hi my previous post refers. Have seen some flights from to newark (via lhr) @ £457 which seems v reasonable to me see as they were £670 over last few weeks. Just wanted a 2nd opinion on whether they were good vfm & should i book. Cheers K
  • boblibarn wrote: »
    going to Nyc on wednesday, do i buy the observation tickets before i go and when is best time, day or night. also hop on/off bus is there only one group that does this and if theres more what one is the best, thanks

We went to TOTR at about 45 mins before sunset, so we saw daylight, sunset and also at dark. It was magical! We didnt queue at all (this was early January) I wouldnt book before you go as Mark says you cant guarantee the weather.

We used the subway once (to go to the Staten Island ferry/911 memorial) otherwise we got our maps out and walked it! I think you see so much on the way and am glad we didnt do the bus.

Have a great time!:D
  • Dave1979 wrote: »
    We head off for 6 days there in April and have most things planned - nothing too touristy - going to some Opera at the Met, lots of eating and a lot of walking!

Where is the best place for clothes shopping? Nothing fancy - Gap, Banana Republic, American Apparell etc - wanting to stock up the basics. We would travel a little bit out the city but not wanting to go to far - some of the outlet places are quite a distance!

I liked Centuary 21, Gap is everywhere too. We had $100 bills before we went, when we got to heathrow some of the exchanges swapped them in to lower nominations.
  • inkie
    inkie Posts: 2,609 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee!

Last edited by Dave1979; Today at 1:32 PM.

We have literally got back this afternoon from NY. First time visit. You will love it. If you are looking for low denomination notes for tipping, then why not order some with your currency to set you off.

Clothes shopping - if you go down 5th avenue you will find what you have mentioned. Also on W 57th Street there is a shop called Daffys and is a bit like TK Maxx, but really cheap, and with sales on too. We have had sauch a fab time, can't wait to go back. Easy enough to navigate and unless you are going right downtown, then easy enough to walk. :-)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure