Virgin Media retention deals (post your haggling successes)

Comments

• psul
    psul Posts: 18
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    I rang a couple of weeks ago as my £7 discount was ending . Accepted the automated offer to keep the existing discount. Got my latest bill yesterday with no discount. I'm now paying more for 70 meg than the standard price for 100meg.
    Obviously not happy. Rang again and got the same automated offer but went through to retentions​ which seemed a waste of time. I've always found them reasonable to talk to in the past but I got a young guy who was just reading from a script. His solution was to offer me an upgrade with a £2 a month discount. I had to point out that I had already been offered and accepted £7 a month discount which had not been honoured. He said he had to fill a form in and I should hopefully get the original offer?
    Going to give them a week and check if it's all gone through. If not will just give them my notice.
  • den169
    den169 Posts: 278
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    psul wrote: »
    I rang a couple of weeks ago as my £7 discount was ending . Accepted the automated offer to keep the existing discount. Got my latest bill yesterday with no discount. I'm now paying more for 70 meg than the standard price for 100meg.
    Obviously not happy. Rang again and got the same automated offer but went through to retentions​ which seemed a waste of time. I've always found them reasonable to talk to in the past but I got a young guy who was just reading from a script. His solution was to offer me an upgrade with a £2 a month discount. I had to point out that I had already been offered and accepted £7 a month discount which had not been honoured. He said he had to fill a form in and I should hopefully get the original offer?
    Going to give them a week and check if it's all gone through. If not will just give them my notice.
    Did you actually get through to retentions.As far as i know only way is to cancel totally and wait for retentions to ring you.
  • rtho782
    rtho782 Posts: 1,189
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    hunsbury0 wrote: »
    Just been quoted by VM Retentions for 100mb broadband (the minimum speed they offer) at £38.00 per month, which also includes Landline that I don't want. But works out even dearer just for the broadband without the landline!
    New customers get 3 services (tv broadband & Landline) for £32!
    I am penalised for being a loyal customer for 16 years!

BT are offering for TV, 52mb broadband (Guaranteed 50 mb at my post code) & landline for £28.99 per month +£69.99 set charge but also £150 reward credit! works out for the first year as £22.33 per month.
    Virgin Media are going to loose me!
    I will also email their CEO about this!
    I will also check out Sky as they are offering me 60% discount for the 1st year.
    Sad to leave VM but they don't want to look after their loyal customers!:mad:

That's strange, their standard price for 100mb broadband only (which is what you want) is £32.25.

http://www.virginmedia.com/shop/broadband/broadband-only.html

BB+ Phone is currently £32/m for 12m.

http://www.virginmedia.com/shop/broadband/compare.html

I'm paying £41.25 for 300mb broadband only, so £3.25 more than you for 3x the speed.

I would try again and get a different CS person.
  • hunsbury0
    hunsbury0 Posts: 275
    Forumite
    rtho782 wrote: »
    That's strange, their standard price for 100mb broadband only (which is what you want) is £32.25.

http://www.virginmedia.com/shop/broadband/broadband-only.html

BB+ Phone is currently £32/m for 12m.

http://www.virginmedia.com/shop/broadband/compare.html

I'm paying £41.25 for 300mb broadband only, so £3.25 more than you for 3x the speed.

I would try again and get a different CS person.

I will try again, if no success, then will be off to BT 52mbs unlimited. £150 reward credit & TCB £100.00.
  • sid1234_2
    sid1234_2 Posts: 129 Forumite
    Cancelled and gave my 30days notice for broadband and phone and got many calls from VM which I missed. I finally was available when they called again 4days before the contract was about to expire and haggled the following...

talk weekends and 150meg broadband
    £196 line rental saver I pay upfront
    £60 credit
    £11 broadband- £4 loyalty discount= £7 a month

total = £220 for 12 months= £18.33 per month :-)

It pays to be patient and haggle haggle haggle!
  • shapala
    shapala Posts: 615
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    Update from me

I put in my cancellation a week or so ago.

Finally got a call from VM this morning and initially offered £25 for 100mb BB only (don't want the landline anymore).

Told him that's what I was initially offered and would have to be much less. That became £22 which again I told him was too much. He spoke with his supervisor and then offered bottom line of £18. I accepted as I'm quite happy paying that for 100mb and is about what I was paying past 18 months or so for 50mb (became 70mb) + landline (always paid up front but hardly used the landline).

Hope it helps others who are in a similar situation.
  • hunsbury0
    hunsbury0 Posts: 275
    Forumite
    sid1234 wrote: »
    Cancelled and gave my 30days notice for broadband and phone and got many calls from VM which I missed. I finally was available when they called again 4days before the contract was about to expire and haggled the following...

talk weekends and 150meg broadband
    £196 line rental saver I pay upfront
    £60 credit
    £11 broadband- £4 loyalty discount= £7 a month

total = £220 for 12 months= £18.33 per month :-)

It pays to be patient and haggle haggle haggle!

I don't have much choice as 20th is the day where I have give vm notice & it is also the last day for BT reward offer. If vm don't offer me a deal there & then, I will have no choice but to leave vm.
  • Anon
    Anon Posts: 14,545
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    hunsbury0 wrote: »
    I don't have much choice as 20th is the day where I have give vm notice & it is also the last day for BT reward offer. If vm don't offer me a deal there & then, I will have no choice but to leave vm.

No guarantees. but the BT offer has been on for many months, switching from £100 to £150 reward cards and also the cashback from TCB and Quidco increasing and decreasing every week or so.
  • dave_dph
    dave_dph Posts: 617
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    edited 18 April 2017 at 1:09PM
    Just given notice for all 3 services.

I'm looking to take the BT Infinity 1 cashback offer. £150 reward card + £100 TCB brings the monthly bill down to £13.16, once cash back is factored in! To this I'll look to add the NowTV Smart box for around £40 and use a monthly entertainment pass at £6.99 when required.

As I currently pay Virgin almost £70 per month I quite like the thought of having that extra cash in the bank.
  • duggan1
    duggan1 Posts: 504
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Proving to be a bit of a !!!!!!. I'm on quite a lot, and happy with what I get, even at the high price (200mb broadband, sky sports+movies+HD), multi-room.

Can normally get a decent deal though when the contract is up, but they are offering very little at the minute. Which is a pain.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback