Everything & Anything New York City

Comments

• holidaysforme
    holidaysforme Posts: 1,786
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    We tend to eat in 'ethnic' restaurants in Mew York. Love Vietnamese, and Mexican.
    I have never found New York cheap for eating out. Last time we booked a suite, which had basic cooking facilities.

It easily paid for itself as we saved a lot by eating breakfast in every morning, and cooked dinner in four nights out of seven.
    We found wine particularly expensive in restaurants. Paid 35 dollars in a fairy basic restaurant one evening for an average bottle.
  • Ganga
    Ganga Posts: 4,097
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    We tend to eat in 'ethnic' restaurants in Mew York. Love Vietnamese, and Mexican.
    I have never found New York cheap for eating out. Last time we booked a suite, which had basic cooking facilities.

It easily paid for itself as we saved a lot by eating breakfast in every morning, and cooked dinner in four nights out of seven.
    We found wine particularly expensive in restaurants. Paid 35 dollars in a fairy basic restaurant one evening for an average bottle.

We have just returned from NewYork and never found it cheap for anything!
    ITS NOT EASY TO GET EVERYTHING WRONG ,I HAVE TO WORK HARD TO DO IT!
  • Duckyduck
    Duckyduck Posts: 269
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Not sure if they still exist, but about 5 years ago there was a wave of $1 Pizza slice stalls/shops opening. Can't get much cheaper than that, and tasted pretty decent too!
    Save £12k in 2019 #36
  • John259
    John259 Posts: 1,085
    First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Duckyduck wrote: »
    Not sure if they still exist, but about 5 years ago there was a wave of $1 Pizza slice stalls/shops opening. Can't get much cheaper than that, and tasted pretty decent too!
    https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=casey+neistat+dollar+pizza

:)
    "Such an enormous country, you realize when you cross it" - Jack Kerouac
  • springdreams
    springdreams Posts: 3,623
    Rampant Recycler Car Insurance Carver! Home Insurance Hacker! Xmas Saver!
    Forumite
    Ganga wrote: »
    We have just returned from NewYork and never found it cheap for anything!

I hope you enjoyed your holiday :D You spent a lot of time researching and preparing.
    squeaky wrote: »
    Smiles are as perfect a gift as hugs...
    ..one size fits all... and nobody minds if you give it back.
    ☆.。.:*・° Housework is so much easier without the clutter ☆.。.:*・°
    SPC No. 518
  • Ganga
    Forumite
    I hope you enjoyed your holiday :D You spent a lot of time researching and preparing.

We certainly did,i of to the gym this morning but with a bit of luck i might get my trip report done later today.:)
  • Ganga
    Forumite
    Full trip report

Holiday booked with Thomas Cook
    Newcastle/NY Roosevelt hotel Midtown,free upgrade and free WIFI
    Cost £1,243.97 6 days/5 nights plus spending money

Left home for Newcastle Airport,flight at 9.35am,took off on time and landed at terminal 5,took bus to terminal 3 and had a drink.Checked in at American Airlines and had been moved to a couple of rows further forward,had window middle and end seats to ourselves ( me and my wife )
    Took off 10 mins late but pilot said he would make it up,served petzels and drinks,beer,wine and soft drinks free,spirits were $8 each!landed 43 mins early.
    Eventually got thru customs/security and cab into NY.Stayed at the Roosevelt hotel on45th/maddisom avenue.

Unpacked and went out for meal and drinks,went to bed at about 10.00pm NY time.Woke up at 2.00am:eek:,slept on but up early.

Day 1. Breakfast in Grand Central Station then subway to Fulton Street to visit Nat. Sept.11 memorial and museum.A very sad but interesting visit.Walked down to Staten island Ferry and seen SOL .subway back to grand central,drink in hotel,sleep, then out for meal and drinks.

Day 2. Collected coffee,s from starbucks.Walked to TOTR,seen ice rink etc then up to the top.Walk to Ellens Stardust Diner for lunch,Times Sq walkabout,evening meal and drinks.

Day 3 Collect breakfast from starbucks,walk to Dylans Candy store for sweets for grandaughters ( they had made a list),shops,lunch,Central Park,Strawberryfields and Dakota building,walkabout,evening meal and drinks.

Day 4 Collect breakfast from starbucks,visit Grand Central Station for pictures and good look round,Chrysler building,again lots of pictures,walkabout,evening meal and drinks.

Day 5 Up early,collect breakfast,pack cases and sit in hotel foyer/bar,organize transport to airport,shared a streched limo with two young english lads,checked in eventually,took off on time,arrived Heathrow then back to Newcastle ( tired but worth it )

Thanks to all the people on this site for the help and advice that made this holiday great.

Ganga and My better half:beer:
  • pompeyrich
    pompeyrich Posts: 3,135
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Thanks for the report Ganga and glad you both had a great holiday.
  • Ganga
    Forumite
    pompeyrich wrote: »
    Thanks for the report Ganga and glad you both had a great holiday.

Thanks for that,i have seen on facebook that NY is expecting between 18 and 24 inches of snow next week,looks like we went at the right time:rotfl:
  • srisport
    srisport Posts: 198 Forumite
    Ganga wrote: »
    Thanks for that,i have seen on facebook that NY is expecting between 18 and 24 inches of snow next week,looks like we went at the right time:rotfl:

well the snow better get there and gone before 12 April when I'm due to land at JFK! :rotfl:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure