Roadside Recovery: AutoAid Feedback

Comments

• meno_2
    meno_2 Posts: 50 Forumite
    not mentioned on website either, tho they are still charging 32 when site says 34
  • rach
    rach Posts: 5,476 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    i have just joined autoaid, very pleased with the simplicity of the setting up. and its not even an 0870/ 0845 number!!!
    Mum to gorgeous baby boy born Sept 2010:j
  • I claimed from AutoAid once and it was absolutely easy and pain free. I have now switched to RAC but only because I use my Tesco clubcards for it so it works out even slightly cheaper.
    The only slight worry I would have with them is that you essentially rely on third parties. They do give you details of roadside service providers on the phone but I would not be convinced that this will get you someone at 2 am in the Scottish Highlands (and as far as I recall, one of the suppliers they gave to me at the time of my incident was quite unsuitable). With RAC or AA you presumably haven't got that issue.
    With that small warning in mind I would recommend AutoAid any time.
  • Aletank
    Aletank Posts: 568 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    The only slight worry I would have with them is that you essentially rely on third parties. They do give you details of roadside service providers on the phone but I would not be convinced that this will get you someone at 2 am in the Scottish Highlands (and as far as I recall, one of the suppliers they gave to me at the time of my incident was quite unsuitable).
    So if you breakdown you call Autoaid and they give you details of local breakdown/recovery firms for you to call yourself?
  • I joined AutoAid this year and called them out for the first time a couple of weeks ago for a 'home start' problem. I had no problems whatsoever with AutoAid and received my cheque promptly - however, had I not been 'on the ball' with the breakdown company, I might not have received a penny...

This was the first time that my car has ever broken down - it is very reliable - and, as it turned out, the fault was minor. The breakdown company arrived within a creditable 40mins and was emblazoned with the logos of Britannia Rescue, Green Flag, etc. etc. So far, so good.

I was a bit disconcerted, though, when the first thing the mechanic asked about was not "What is wrong?" etc. but "How are you going to pay and have you been told how much it will cost?". Rather odd, I thought - and how did he know how much it would cost before he had even inspected my car? OK, he then did a good job and was pleasant enough after that. However, having paid by debit card (the payment being confirmed by phone) and me having signed for the work, he would not give me a receipt! Instead, he said that I would receive one in the post within a couple of days. Of course, I never did receive the receipt... After 4 days, I phoned up the breakdown company who said that they had sent the receipt straight to Equity Red Star (i.e. AutoAid). Eh? Why did they do that? So, I had to drive to the Breakdown Company's yard where they gave me a fax copy. Luckily AutoAid accepted this in lieu of the original and I was refunded.

If I had been driving out of my home area, I might not have had the presence of mind to note down the name of the breakdown company. So, my advice is to insist that you be given a receipt - and it would also be a good idea to keep your own receipt book in the car.
  • Bought AutoAid for my teenage daughter. She's used it once. No problems at all and very speedy reimbursement.
  • oscarhugo
    oscarhugo Posts: 492 Forumite
    Aletank wrote: »
    So if you breakdown you call Autoaid and they give you details of local breakdown/recovery firms for you to call yourself?

No, that's not so -- if you don't know any recovery people you ring the AutoAid emergency phone number & they send someone out.

I was a bit puzzled by a previous poster who said he/she rang several firms to ask if they dealt with AutoAid. I wouldn't've thought this was necessary; you can just get a company to help you, pay up, get the invoice & send it to AutoAid.

They do only pay up to 45 quid for Home Starts however [I think that's the amount - from memory]
    Expect the worst & hope for the best...
  • MarkyMarkD
    MarkyMarkD Posts: 9,912 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Oscarhugo is quite right - you don't need to use an Autoaid approved firm; you can call any recovery operator and then claim the amount back from Autoaid.
  • derrick
    derrick Posts: 7,424 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    oscarhugo wrote: »
    They do only pay up to 45 quid for Home Starts however [I think that's the amount - from memory]

I have just received my renewal for AutoAid and this has been increased to £65.
    Don`t steal - the Government doesn`t like the competition

• Happy_Bunny_6
    Happy_Bunny_6 Posts: 301 Forumite
    I've used Auto Aid 3 times and in each case the operator that came out to us, didn't accept debit cards, and I don't have a credit card

I didn't have to come up with the money at all, Auto Aid paid the garages direct on all 3 occasions. I didn't even have to sign anything!

Excellent!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport