Transfer Test* Support* AQE 2016-2017

Options

Comments

• May100
    May100 Posts: 117 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks D on sharing your experience of paper 1. My DS was second in his class on the paper 2 with 88% but in some other papers he was getting 97%, Most of the mistakes were careless ones but he said it was harder, he was short of time and had no time left over to check his work.
    We had every intention of doing all 3 papers but makes it more important to give papers 1 and 2 the best shot! He was doing lots of work over summer but since going back it is school work only.
  • May100
    Options
    Sorry D. Meant to say. He got 88% in paper 3 and higher marks in papers 1 and 2! The class average was 69% in paper 3 but had been about 76% in papers 1 and 2.
  • Eastbelfast_mum
    Options
    Just to share some opinion, every year when some school had a major improvement done either is a new sport hall or a new building block. It tends to attract more students to applied for that year, thus decrease the chance to get in that particular year. Is anyone know any school had some changes been done this year, please let me know. Thanks
  • Carebear82
    Options
    So my daughter is doing 2 past AQE papers a week in school. From September she got first week mid 70's then second week she got high 80's then last week mid to low 70's then today comes home with 67%. She is supposed to be getting better not worse! I think the problem is during summer I was giving her 2 papers a week to do and every other morning she worked on different topics for 30-40 mins but since school started back she has a lot of homework so just been doing a bit of revision on Sundays. She I go back to giving her a bit of AQE work each night for 20 mins to keep everything active in her head? Im so stressed out about this all but trying not to let her know I am! Plus I think im doing my work colleagues heads in as this must be all I talk about lol their kids went to secondary schools so they don't understand why I would like her to go to grammar.
  • May100
    Options
    Hi Carebear. It is a stressful process and so important we don't transmit it to the kids. Any good ot have a place here to vent it! There is still time for the marks to pull up though.
    My DS is doing 2 tests in school and lots of homework Mon- Thur. Some of the homework is AQE type work - comprehensions and mental maths etc. He is doing very little at home now. Did about an hour of work at the weekend and no extra over school work during week. Careful not to overdo it. Some papers are harder than others too. So could find that marks of whole class are lower in some papers.
    Maybe go back over the mistakes with her. If it is mainly maths errors, set her a couple questions the same with different numbers in them. Problem we have is just silly careless mistakes from rushing through the paper. Don't know how to eliminate these and teach him to check his work. He also panics about running out of time. He asked if there was a clock in the exam room but I thought that they just call out the time at intervals and watches not allowed.
  • Carebear82
    Options
    oh are not watched not allowed why not? My daughter wasn't getting papers finished at home but just about finishes them in school, I think this was just a harder paper though going through it she should of got another 5/6 marks for silly mistakes so should of done better. Cant wait till this is over!
  • May100
    Options
    I don't know i watches are allowed or not - I know that in certain univiersity exams they banned watches as students were cheating using smart watches. In other only watches with hands were allowed and had to be placed on the desk. My DS thought they weren't allowed but I can't find out this for sure on the web site.
  • Bambi1980
    Options
    Hey - just trying to understand marking. On the AQE website it talks about them only being compared with others to the same month so....do you think i am right in assuming that my daughter, who has a March birthday, will only be compared to other March children and then 100 mark given to the child in the middle of this bundle with above and below 100 worked out accordingly. Then this is done specifically across each month with each month having a potentially different middle point but it still gets 100, hence the 'no age bias'?!? Just wondering and trying to get my head around the whole system. Technically this way no extra marks are given or taken away for age because you are only in your own smaller age category in the first place?? As my husband says - IT DOESN'T MATTER lol but i am genuinely curious!
  • candy_kid
    Options
    Hi Just new but have been following.

My DD doing AQE in November her marks have been a steady 70 to 80% until going back to school. She is still getting these scores with home tests but when it comes to doing tests in school they drop BIG time, not sure what to do now.:(
  • May100
    Options
    CandyKid
    Maybe go through and see what is happening. Like running out of time? Rushing and making loads of little mistakes. Identify if there is an area that is weak. Maybe leave off doing tests but just do a bit of revision in any areas that she could improve on. Then hopefully in Oct she'll start to climb again..
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure