Say No to 0870!

Comments

• peterbaker
    peterbaker Posts: 3,083 Forumite
    Forget it! Discussing your 0871 number here is a distraction to the real issue.

I have just received an SMS from an unknown sender which reads

"You have one new Message - please call 0871 240 2116"

This is not the first time I have received such a scam message. Who owns this number? (It had better not be you mat01!)

Dialing 0871 from my O2 mobile costs around 40p a minute I believe.

If this was recognised as a premium rate number it would come under the ICSTIS code of practice for whatever that is worth. As it is, it is pure fraudulent spam as fraudulent as spam emailers inviting me to revalidate my Internet Banking security details. Both frauds are intended to take my money fraudulently.

Why does BT do nothing?

Why do the Government and Police do nothing?

Because we now live in a corrupt and crappy country is what I think.
  • drrdf
    drrdf Posts: 14 Forumite
    I agree peterbaker,

but it is not BT who can do anything now, nor indeed would want to. Although I think it is true to say that they (BT) commenced this scam, it is the regulators (Ofcom) who ought to be addressing the abuses now, since it has got completely out of control, but they do nothing. We all have to ask why this is, and there I think we probably get on to your last point - "a corrupt country that ours has become"?
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Yes, we do have Rip-Off Britain and I agree with Scabbard when he/she said that contacting your MP might be a way forward.
    I have done this and sent emails to all 'Party' HQs to ask their views on the 0870 scam.
    Probably my most interesting reply was from the Labour Party - they said in the one-line reply:-

Please contact the Department of Trade and Industry for information on tel: 020 7215 5000.

I pointed out that it seemed strange to have to ask a Government Department for a 'Party' position, but have had no response to that.

But as newspapers, TV etc all seem to be using the 0870 numbers it will not be easy to get THEM to help publicise this scam - so with an election on the horizon there is more hope of 'pressure' being applied (and hence on OFCOM) by using MPs.
  • As a matter of interest, I noticed that on the BBC's Strictly Come Dancing programme last night, it says that calling the voting lines cost 25p and at least 12p per call goes to Sport Relief. Nothing about who gets the other 13p. Does that mean we pay our TV Licence and a an extra premium to the programme makers?
    I know this a little off thread, but the BBC also use the 0870 numbers for calling programmes like Watchdog and I wondered where this money goes.
  • Dan29
    Dan29 Posts: 4,760 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    As a matter of interest, I noticed that on the BBC's Strictly Come Dancing programme last night, it says that calling the voting lines cost 25p and at least 12p per call goes to Sport Relief. Nothing about who gets the other 13p.

Presumably much of it goes to the company running the voting lines. They took 2.5 million votes for last night's programme; it simply wouldn't be possible for the BBC to organise phone votes on this scale without using premium rate numbers.

The guidelines for programme makers state, among other things, that the cost to the public should be kept to a minimum, that viewers should be able to enjoy the programme without having to phone in, and that the programme maker establishes that a similar service can't be provided on a non-premium rate service.
    I know this a little off thread, but the BBC also use the 0870 numbers for calling programmes like Watchdog and I wondered where this money goes.

BBC Information responded to someone about this a year ago, as follows:

"The BBC gave considerable thought to the appropriate use of national rate numbers about five years ago and decided that callers to the BBC should pay the same costs regardless of where they were calling from, and those costs, typically should be no more than the price of a stamp.

There is another operational benefit of using 0870 numbers. Along with other non-geographic numbers' such as 0800, 0845 etc it is possible to better route these calls and report statistics. To better serve the BBC audience we have several contact centres handling telephone calls, emails and letters. These contact centres operate as one 'virtual' service and depend on the use of 0870 and other 'intelligent network numbers' to provide the best customer service.

Call charges are a matter for the network operators and the regulator but the BBC use of 0870 numbers is the result of careful policy and operational considerations."

Not sure if that answers your question :)
  • System
    Personally, I have no problem with ANY organisation using Premium numbers as they tell you clearly what the cost is going to be.

With 0870 the whole problem is the deception of being able to use phrases like "National Rate charged" to make people THINK it is like a 'normal' call, when, as has been said, it can be up to 15 times more expensive!!

If other users wish to phone the BBC on vote lines at premium rates then that is fine, they KNOW what they are paying (and I may benefit from lower licence fee rises!). But 0870 numbers are covert 'premium' lines and should be dealt with as such.
  • System
    What a shock - BBC Watchdog, that famous CONSUMER CHAMPION programme, using 0870 numbers for contact!!!!!!

Just shows that we in Britain will accept anything, when OUR public broadcasting organisation has a programme that purports to aid the consumer, but still manages to rip us off at the same time. Makes you proud to be British!!

Would the new Chairman of BBC care to comment? (or will pigs fly, first??).
  • Thanks Dan A, but at 2.5 million callers voting, and according to the news this morning, a half a million pounds was raised for Sport Aid. That means that at least another half a million going to the BBC or the makers of the programme. I realise that costs are involved in taking these 2.5 million calls, but 500K's worth of cost?

With regard to the BBC's response re the use of 0870 numbers and them saying "These contact centres operate as one 'virtual' service and depend on the use of 0870 and other 'intelligent network numbers' to provide the best customer service" must be the biggest load of flim flam I have heard this year. Who are they kidding? - they do not mention in that statement that they are asking us to contribute to their overheads. At least the DVLA when asked this year admitted that the revenue goes towards their costs and ultimately to the Treasury.

Oh and by the way, John Prescott is also in on the act, well at least his office of Deputy Prime Minister is. If you want any publications on planning guideline you have to apply to a 0870 to get a copy!
  • System
    Not surprised at Mr Prescott utilising 0870 - the whole Labour Party seems to love them, look at the Party website and to asking to enroll means 0870... (hence they will never persuade me to vote for them again).

They want your money just for applying for info!!

When I looked at Party sites, only the SNP seems NOT to use 0870 (although I may be mistaken in this). But that is not much use to an Englishman (or they would get my vote!!).

Political pressure may be the way forward???
  • gibby
    gibby Posts: 426 Forumite
    SNEAKY TIP FOR 0870

just thought of this & it works

email a company telling them you have rung the 0870 number and getting directed to another number.

they are so scared of losing business they dish out the landline no asap

G
    never take advice from broke or unsuccessful people

Jim Rohn
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business