PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

The best mince pie pastry ever?

Comments

• sazzy6
    sazzy6 Posts: 342 Forumite
    Just heading out for some Trex - my HM mince meat has been calling me for weeks but I have managed to resist until now, however as we are almost in December I feel it is just the right time! :0)

Can't wait to try them. I'm going to freeze the left over pastry as pre-made pies in the freezer to cook as wanted (thanks to the tip from dodger)
  • researcher
    researcher Posts: 1,539 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    This pastry makes very nice jam tarts and apple pies too :D
  • O.K this thread has intrigued me.
    I am a chef and many years ago worked as a Pastry chef in a couple of very good hotels.
    I have pastry recipes given to me by michellin starred chefs.
    there have been so many great comments about this recipe I have to try it.
    Trex will be on my shopping list tommorrow.
  • Hi Can someone recommend something to use other than the TREX, as I have not been able to find it anywhere for love nor money.

Thanks
  • researcher
    Just checking you are looking in the right section - chiller cabinet, near the vegetable fats, butters and margarine.

If I couldn't get any I'd try cookeen.
  • I'm useless at making pastry and until I saw this recipe last year I've always bought shop mince pies - never again! They were fantastic. Everyone liked them so much last year I just kept making them through December and I was eating them of course :D but I'm trying to lose weight so I'm not going to start too early this year.
  • I had a lovely old one a few years back where the cups were fluted, so the pastry was a bit fancier when you turned it out - got lost in a move though - never found similar since :(

Is this what you're looking for?

http://www.saltandpepper.co.uk/cook_shop/Bakeware/Muffin+and+Bun+Trays/2395
    My message to that greedy wunch of bankers:
    Debts another fine mess you got us into!

If you see somone who hasn't got a smile, give them one of yours.
  • sarahs999
    sarahs999 Posts: 3,751 Forumite
    I'll be making it again this year too. I personally would reduce the sugar a bit as I found the pies too sweet, but each to their own. The pastry is lovely and crumbly and light.
  • researcher wrote: »
    Just checking you are looking in the right section - chiller cabinet, near the vegetable fats, butters and margarine.

If I couldn't get any I'd try cookeen.

Hi yeah been in every chiller cabinet in Co Antrim nearly lol.

I've never made pastry before so wasnt too sure about the cooken if it was the right thing to use instead thanks i'll give it a go.:D
  • researcher
    venus1978 wrote: »
    Hi yeah been in every chiller cabinet in Co Antrim nearly lol.

I've never made pastry before so wasnt too sure about the cooken if it was the right thing to use instead thanks i'll give it a go.:D

I haven't actually substituted myself, so please let us know if it works.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback