PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

September 2013 Grocery Challenge

Options

Comments

• Flat_Eric
    Flat_Eric Posts: 4,060 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Well the throw things in a pan and hope for the best sausage hotpot thing was very tasty but :mad: I'm still waiting for the damn thing to cool down so putting it in bowls instead of the plastic tubs wasn't today's cleverest idea. with the batch cooking I have planned for this weekend, I'm not going to have enough food tubs so thought I would portion into bowls today before transferring to freezer bags. Would be interested to hear top tips for cooling food down....
  • xx_Jo_xx
    xx_Jo_xx Posts: 2,858 Forumite
    Uniform Washer
    Options
    Hi all,

I'm hoping you more experienced challengers can help me please! I have sweet potatoes and carrot to use up and found this recipe at the start of the thread...

As we have been talking about slow cookers, I'm wondering how I would adapt the recipe to cook it in my slow cooker instead? Any help and advice would be much appreciated

Ty :A

franby64 wrote: »
    Morning everybody

I'm very into simple soup recipes atm with all this veg and here is one I made yesterday which I found on a forum - I really liked this one but I put slightly too much pepper in it:

Sweet potato and carrot soup.

1 onion
    3 carrots and 2 sweet potatoes (chopped)
    1 litre veg stock
    salt and pepper
    herbs (the writer used coriander, I used a pinch of mixed herbs)

Chop and saute the onion in butter, then add the rest of the veg and cook for a few minutes. Add the stock, season and simmer for 30/40 mins.

Blend the veg and add to the remainder of the soup.

Hope everybody is having a good week.
    :)Sometimes lurking, sometimes posting, but always flying:)
    You are supposed to be the leading lady of your own life, for God's sake! - The Holiday
    DFW :idea: August 2013... Debt total £15,475.56 - Jan 15 £11,738.66 - DEBT FREE by 2015
    Feb GC £48.02/£250 (£201.98)
    :D I will declutter my house and debts :D
  • iammumtoone
    Options
    The trick to adapting recipes for a slow cooker is use less liquid because there is no evaporation, however how much less liquid I never know so I would interested to see if there is a 'magic formula' as well.
  • xx_Jo_xx
    xx_Jo_xx Posts: 2,858 Forumite
    Uniform Washer
    Options
    Thank you... Ill have a go :)
    :)Sometimes lurking, sometimes posting, but always flying:)
    You are supposed to be the leading lady of your own life, for God's sake! - The Holiday
    DFW :idea: August 2013... Debt total £15,475.56 - Jan 15 £11,738.66 - DEBT FREE by 2015
    Feb GC £48.02/£250 (£201.98)
    :D I will declutter my house and debts :D
  • sheeppappar
    Options
    xx_Jo_xx I would just use say half as much liquid and bung all the veg straight in. .. then if you need more you could just boil the kettle and dilute the soup till it's as thick/runny as you want x

leave out the butter and don't bother sauteing the veg either (that's what I would do anyway) xx hope it's nice! x
    CC1 £7,944.10
    CC2 £2,680.03
    CC3 £1,020.88
  • mrs-moneypenny
    mrs-moneypenny Posts: 15,519 Forumite
    edited 13 September 2013 at 5:30PM
    Options
    thanks Jo, just written that down as i have all the ingredients in so guess what we are having for tea tonight LOL.

got my fruit a day early, the school i work at had a charity fruit sale in aid of a cancer charity so i got a few bits and bunged a tenner in the potno less than id have paid in the shops but a very good cause and nice fresh stuff. there are some things more important than being MSE sometimes
    SPC~12 ot 124

In a world that has decided that it's going to lose its mind, be more kind my friend, try to Be More Kind
  • Coxy11
    Coxy11 Posts: 4,876 Forumite
    Homepage Hero Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Hi everyone,

Sorry I haven't posted in days. My birthday was Tuesday - had a rubbish day :( and have been having further laptop problems :mad:

Happy belated birthday to Flo - another Virgo :D

Will update budgets in a mo.

Meg - your post made me laugh :rotfl:

Dinner tonight is scampi, French fries and green beans. Nice and easy as I worked today and DD has guides at 7pm so quick tea needed.

Back later
    Coxy
    Cross-stitch WIP: Durene Jones Haberdashery Shop 365 1p challenge member No.6 Read 24 books in 2024 - currently reading Sharp Objects by Gillian Flynn 12/24
  • Cambs85
    Cambs85 Posts: 50 Forumite
    edited 14 September 2013 at 11:43AM
    Options
    £1.05 spend today on tomatoes and biscuits. Sad for no NSDs this working week, but budget still working well :-)

** signature should now read 186.73/250 but won't update for some reason!!**
    GC Sept '13: £249.05/£250, NSDs: 9/7!! :j
    GC Oct '13 £236.00/ £250, NSDs: 13/9!
    GC Nov '13 £5.72/ £250, NSDs: /10
  • CH27
    CH27 Posts: 5,531 Forumite
    edited 13 September 2013 at 5:29PM
    Options
    I've been struggling this week.

I have £1.50 to last me until monday & I will need milk tomorrow.

Still managing on half what I was so progress is being made.

It won't let me update my signature.
    Try to be a rainbow in someone's cloud.
  • mrs-moneypenny
    Options
    coxy sorry your birthday wasnt a good day, hope your laptop problems sort out soon.
    SPC~12 ot 124

In a world that has decided that it's going to lose its mind, be more kind my friend, try to Be More Kind
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure