barclays online, no options WITHout pinsentry

Maybe I am going mad.

I log on using my long number and then it asks for the pin sentry passcode. However it says on the page, if no pin sentry you can use your memorable 5 digit number and password. But there is no where to actually type these, it always asks for last 5 digits of card and pinsentry code. (i tried typing them in the last 5 digits of card and pin sentry 8 digit code but it doesn't accept them there)

So what am i missing? I am sure i have a few times logged on without the pin sentry just to check balances.

cheers!

Comments

• eira
    eira Posts: 611 Forumite
    Had similar problems. I was asked foir letters of password but there seemed to be no way of entering /creating a password. Several numbers that seemed to be irrelevant. I don't have an account-Barclays have taken over a firm I had a savings account with but even the 'helpline' were unclear whether this was why I now had 'internet banking'

I loathe Barclays with a passion and have diligently closed down every account they have taken over.Why I now have this account I can't access I don't know-dealing with Barclays is a maze of brick walls
  • stclair
    stclair Posts: 6,844
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    edited 1 May 2012 at 7:41PM
    This may help answer your question:

http://www.barclays.co.uk/P1242572196135

UPDATE: I can not work out how you sign in though lol
    Im an ex employee RBS Group
    However Any Opinion Given On MSE Is Strictly My Own
  • mgdavid
    mgdavid Posts: 6,705
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    follow the link in previous post, and read it!

You HAVE to log in with Pin sentry the first time, while logged in you can set up a 5 digit number and Passcode, then in future you can use these.

"
    How to set up a new passcode and memorable word:
    1. Log into Online Banking using your PINsentry and visit the 'At a Glance' page
    2. From the right-hand menu, select 'Customise my site'
    3. Select 'Set up my 5-digit passcode and memorable word'
    4. Enter your new details and save
    Next time you wish to log in without PINsentry, you will be able to use the details you have saved. You will also be able to save your preferred log-in method, whether it's PINsentry or your passcode and memorable word, so that the appropriate log-in screen will be ready for you whenever you want to access Online Banking."

So once you've set yourself up with the 5-digit number and Passcode, and told it that's your preferred method, the option for Basic access login will appear on your Login screen.
    The questions that get the best answers are the questions that give most detail....
  • notbritishgas
    notbritishgas Posts: 2,304
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    mgdavid wrote: »
    follow the link in previous post, and read it!

You HAVE to log in with Pin sentry the first time, while logged in you can set up a 5 digit number and Passcode, then in future you can use these.

"
    How to set up a new passcode and memorable word:
    1. Log into Online Banking using your PINsentry and visit the 'At a Glance' page
    2. From the right-hand menu, select 'Customise my site'
    3. Select 'Set up my 5-digit passcode and memorable word'
    4. Enter your new details and save
    Next time you wish to log in without PINsentry, you will be able to use the details you have saved. You will also be able to save your preferred log-in method, whether it's PINsentry or your passcode and memorable word, so that the appropriate log-in screen will be ready for you whenever you want to access Online Banking."

So once you've set yourself up with the 5-digit number and Passcode, and told it that's your preferred method, the option for Basic access login will appear on your Login screen.
    But what happens if you do not have a Pin Sentry.

My OH has for a couple of years quite happily been logging in using the Basic access as she does not wish to carry out any transactions, merely to check her balance etc.

She has no desire to aquire a Pin Sentry. ???
  • I had to use Pin Sentry to set up my Basic access in much the same way mentioned above. I'm sure that their web site said it was only available if you already had Pin Sentry.

I think you also use Pin Sentry to reset your password if you're ever locked out. That's how it worked with the Basic access as they couldn't post me a new password or tell me one by phone.

I think you can get a Pin Sentry reader from their branches though. Might need to request one, just to set this up?
  • TotallyBroke
    TotallyBroke Posts: 1,540
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I do not have PINsentry but have just logged in using my normal login details.
    I have to put my surname, my membership number, my 5 digit passcode and pick 2 letters of my word.
    I'm not 100% sure but I think my membership and passcode are in fact my telephone banking details.
    Check to see if you have these details already
  • Gloomendoom
    Gloomendoom Posts: 16,550
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite

My OH has for a couple of years quite happily been logging in using the Basic access as she does not wish to carry out any transactions, merely to check her balance etc.

Can she borrow one? Any bank will do.

I often use my wife's if my Barclays one isn't handy. I think hers is from the Nationwide.
  • mgdavid
    mgdavid Posts: 6,705
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite

can she still do that, or are you saying it has stopped working?
    The questions that get the best answers are the questions that give most detail....
  • notbritishgas
    Forumite
    edited 2 May 2012 at 2:48PM
    mgdavid wrote: »
    can she still do that, or are you saying it has stopped working?
    No she cannot log in. The login screen has changed to the new one and when she enters her membership number it takes her to the next screen which requires a passcode and letters from her memorable word, neither of which she has got.
    From earlier posts on this thread I understand that is where the Pinsentry is required to obtain those new details.

I think a visit to Barclays is needed to hopefully use a Pinsentry there, I presume it is a Pinsentry that is on the counter into which you put your card when any counter transaction is required?

Edit: see update below
  • notbritishgas
    Forumite
    No she cannot log in. The login screen has changed to the new one and when she enters her membership number it takes her to the next screen which requires a passcode and letters from her memorable word, neither of which she has got.
    From earlier posts on this thread I understand that is where the Pinsentry is required to obtain those new details.

I think a visit to Barclays is needed to hopefully use a Pinsentry there, I presume it is a Pinsentry that is on the counter into which you put your card when any counter transaction is required?

Edit: see update below
    Doh yes she can log in, I had forgotten she already has a "password" so I tried her existing 5 digit number as the pass code and her password as the new memorable word and logged in OK.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure