Cheap UK Travel Deals Discussion

Former_MSE_Archna
Former_MSE_Archna Posts: 1,903 Forumite
First Post
edited 14 June 2010 at 12:49PM in Motoring
This is the new forum discussion to link on the back of the tip deal:
Seen a good offer? Please post below and we'll add it in.
Thanks to everyone who suggested deals!

[threadbanner]box[/threadbanner]

Comments

• I signed up to the First Great Western special offer where you get £5.00 off on any ticket over £6.00, but there's a snag in that you can't book single tickets, only returns which is no good to me for a trip that I'm going on to London next week as I wanted to use it to buy a single from London Euston to Runcorn.

In any case, I'll use it for another trip that I'm going on to London next month.
  • I signed up to the First Great Western special offer where you get £5.00 off on any ticket over £6.00, but there's a snag in that you can't book single tickets, only returns which is no good to me for a trip that I'm going on to London next week as I wanted to use it to buy a single from London Euston to Runcorn.

In any case, I'll use it for another trip that I'm going on to London next month.

Hi borgan,

The ts and cs say that you can use the code for single tickets but the total must be over £6 for the code to work.
  • I definitely tried to buy a single ticket as described, but it wouldn't work... It made me input both a outward date and a return date which I didn't want to do...
  • i found the link would not work
  • MKB
    MKB Posts: 71 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    I registered both my partner and myself for the £5 off promotion. We have the same home address, different email addresses. T&C's say limit is one discount per person, not one per household.

Two emails immediately arrived in our respective inboxes, but containing the same PIN number!

Called FGW customer services, and after 15 minutes on hold, they decided they didn't know how to fix it and told me to call another number which routed through to a woman in India who was completely inept.

Despite my reference several times to my partner as "he" and giving his name as "David", she kept referring to "your wife". The upshot of an unnecessarily lengthy call where the FGW representative continually struggled to understand the problem, is that I have to re-register using a different email address.

I asked to have the account for the original email address deleted and was told this was not possible, so my partner will have to endure the marketing guff on that account.
  • slopemaster
    slopemaster Posts: 1,579 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Just wasted a load of time trying to get this £5 off.
    Didn't work, either through the website or the callcentre, and I will make a point of NOT booking with them in future
  • Hi there,

First Great Western has said there should be no problems claiming the £5 off but if you could be more specific about the problems they will look into any possible glitches. If you could post some more details on this thread that would be great.

Many thanks
  • Well I just tried to use the code that was emailed to me and used this link http://www.fgwtickets.co.uk/promotion_init.asp?spromotion=FGW5OFF&sitecode=FGWThe site accepted my code, but the total price charged was the same that I would have paid on a non 'trainline' website that I checked at the same time, so no discount was applied. I bought 2 single tickets from Manchester to Euston for November 15th.

I was already registered with FGW and Trainline, would this have made any difference?

hs
    ...nothing to see here...
  • Well, it comes as no surprise to me that the £5 reduction offer from First Great Western is riddled with flaws. I registered last night and recieved a PIN number through email. Logged in with it, chose my ticket, and then it couldn't find a journey for the times I specified and was coming up with 7 hour journey times from Portsmouth to London. So I thought I would try to change the destination station, well that was impossible. Once I had chosen the stations I wanted to travel from/to, there was no way of going back to the main page to reselect a station. I tried logging out and back in again and it managed to remember where I left the site the last time, so I still couldn't return to choosing new stations. Just out of interest I went to the National Rail site to see what the journey would have cost me normally: £18.90. I then went back to First Great Western and searched for the same journey (without logging in with my PIN), and the price they gave me for EXACTLY the same journey was £4 more then on National Rail. Therefore the £5 discount I would have recieved through them if there website had actually worked, would have saved me roughly £1. Like I say, its what I have come to expect from them, as there train service itself is ridiculously unreliable compared to other train operators, and I use trains all the time as I don't use a car.
  • Here is my experience:

I registered my details including my email address but was not asked for a registration password. The promotional code was emailed to me without any problem. I entered the PIN code and found the journey I want to make (incidentally, I have also found that the journey has been "saved" so I cannot change the details of the journey), this was displayed at the FULL PRICE cost of £21 as quoted on nationalrail.co.uk i.e. without the applied discount, I assume that the discount will be applied at a later stage.

HOWEVER, when I tried to pay for it and complete the transaction, I was asked to sign in with an email address AND PASSWORD which I dont have!!

So I called the 0844 number to book aforementioned ticket over the phone. I was told that now I have been given a PIN number by email, I cannot book over the phone, I have to complete the transaction over the internet. I would like to know how I do this without a password?!

When I explained the problems I was having, I was asked to call the SAME 0844 number again and speak to some who knows more about it!!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure