Fight back against over-priced cosmetics! Post your cheap but outstanding discoveries

Comments

• harryharp
    harryharp Posts: 1,215 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Yes, that's the kind I meant too- for dark circles, but will definitely try the Rimmel one for spots- still get them even though I'm 44!!
  • mogwai
    mogwai Posts: 1,252 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    My skin care bargains:

Using oil (olive/castor) to clean my face
    Followed by Skin Wisdom moisturiser (Tescos £2.77) and a layer of vaseline (using vaseline and the oil cleansing are the best things Ive done for my skin!)

Face mask for congested/spotty skin: 4 aspirin crushed into 1 teaspoon of sour cream (the lactic acid is a fantastic skin peeler AND softener). Best face mask I have tried, with instant results.

Creamy Petroleum Jelly with Vit E from the 99p shop - more moisturising and softening than any hand/foot cream Ive tried, and your hands stay soft for agggess - huge tube for 99p!

Cosmetics:
    luurve the lip glosses from e.l.f and nail polishes from collection 2000.
    We got rid of the kids. The cat was allergic. ;)

Debt at LBM (Sep 07): £13,500. Current debt: [STRIKE]£680[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]£480[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]£560[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]£13[/STRIKE] £0 overdraft :D
    Current aims - to start building up savings
    1st £1000 in 100 days - £1178.03 :D 2nd £1053.38/£1000 :D 3rd £863.59/£1000 :o
    :j
  • trace_567
    trace_567 Posts: 257 Forumite
    mogwai wrote: »
    My skin care bargains:

Using oil (olive/castor) to clean my face
    Followed by Skin Wisdom moisturiser (Tescos £2.77) and a layer of vaseline (using vaseline and the oil cleansing are the best things Ive done for my skin!)

Face mask for congested/spotty skin: 4 aspirin crushed into 1 teaspoon of sour cream (the lactic acid is a fantastic skin peeler AND softener). Best face mask I have tried, with instant results.

Em not quite sure how to put this really as its meant with good intentions. If your using vaseline on your face plus caster oil, that's probably causing congestion/spotty skin which the second remedy is for.

Both may be super cheap, but personally from a beauty therapy training perspective, I wouldn't recommend. Certainly tip one. Olive oil is okish, but I wouldn't recommend it for anything other than a facial massage, to then be removed after.
  • mossstar
    mossstar Posts: 170 Forumite
    Actually Castor oil + olive oil works for lots of people as the 'oil cleansing method':

http://www.theoilcleansingmethod.com/

I used it occasionally as a facial... i think i'd break out if I used it every day...

I've been a fan of Paula Begoun for ages, even before she made her own cosmetics:

http://www.cosmeticscop.com/

and have always used her tip of just using bicarb of soda mixed with a gentle cleanser, or honey as an exfolient.... brilliant.

Also, like the poster further up, each morning if I have time i dissolve an aspirin in a wee bit of cetaphil cleanser (or any gentle cleanser) as a quick mask, then rub it in as I wash it off as an extra exfolient. Loads of people do this, see here:'

http://www.makeupalley.com/

and enter 'unlisted brand' 'aspirin mask' into product reviews.

Makeupalley is FAB for all your needs actually - i always check the reviews before buying any new product... might as well know what others have thought of it first!
  • sarah84
    sarah84 Posts: 235 Forumite
    *ELF bronzer £1.50 -better than designer products I've tried
    *Rimmel Hide The Blemish about £3 I think
    *ELF eyeliner £1.50 - one of the best I've tried
    *Barry M Nail varnish - £2.95
    *17 Metallic Eye Pencil -£cant remember but under a fiver! fab as eyeliner or shadow
    *Barry M Dazzle Dust - they look amazing, again, under a fiver
    If it hurts no-one, let it be :beer:
  • harryharp
    Just wanted to say thank you everybody for your replies so far. Lots of useful things to think about, and I've noticed some products have been mentioned more than once- specifically Palmer's body butter, Collection 2000 nail polishes and Rimmel Hide the Blemish. The ELF website also looks very interesting, quite a few people have mentioned this, so next time I need to buy make-up I will definitely try it!
  • bank_of_slate
    bank_of_slate Posts: 12,922 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    I love Rimmel nail polishes, they last, go on great and are 3 for 2 in Boots at the mo!

Another trick is I take a tub of vaseline lip stuff, divide it up into several litle sample tubs and add a touch of different coloured or old lipstick to each one to add a hint of colour, that gives me a large choice of coloured lip balms that last for AGES!!!!!
    ...Linda xx
    It's easy to give in to that negative voice that chants "cant do it" BUT we lift each other up.
    We dont count all the runners ahead of us & feel intimidated.
    Instead we look back proudly at our journey, our personal struggle & determination & remember that there are those that never even attempt to reach the starting line.
  • EagerLearner
    EagerLearner Posts: 4,976 Forumite
    I bought a huge bottle of jojoba oil on e-bay last year:
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Jojoba-Massage-Oil-for-Aromatherapy-250ml_W0QQitemZ260225294370QQihZ016QQcategoryZ19258QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1742.m153.l1262

This has lasted me absolutely ages and not only is it great as a body treat, I also rub it into my face each sunday for lovely soft skin. My skin is dry/sensitive so it feels amazing with the jojoba oil.

Now that you mention it Mosstar, I wonder whether I could use 10% castor oil and 90% jojoba to use as a cleanser too?

In terms of cheap treats, I think that buying the jojoba oil has saved me a lot of money in terms of exfoliators/cleansers etc so it would be my top tip for excellent skincare.
    MFW #185
    Mortgage slowly being offset! £86,987 /58,742 virtual balance
    Original mortgage free date 2037/ Now Nov 2034 and counting :T
    YNAB lover :D
  • harryharp
    Lots of fantastic replies now! Looks like the thread is going in the weekly email, which is great- hopefully we'll get loads more.

Think what I'll do is list everyones' recommendations as they come in, on my original post. I think it would be easier for people to read a list rather than read through the whole thread which might start getting long (hopefully!)

I will categorise it according to skincare, make-up etc (maybe even sub-categorise it too?!) so that people can quickly find what they're looking for. Thought I might put stars next to each item too, to indicate how many times the product has been mentioned or endorsed.

Hopefully we can all help eachother to find great products at reasonable prices!
  • geri1965_2
    geri1965_2 Posts: 8,736 Forumite
    For anyone who likes Palmers but isn't keen on the smell, you can get an unscented version - or (even better IMO) olive oil formula.

I use aqueous cream for washing - very cheap (around £2-3 for a huge tub) and good for your skin.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure