Do you get any extra jobseekers alowance payments @ xmas?

Hi everyone,
am all new to this...i was just wondering if you get any extra job seekers allowance payments @ christmas to help you cover any additional costs you may have to encounter? i.e christmas dinner presents etc etc...

i am 21 years old and lost my job in march :confused:
i am out a fortune as i live alone also so was just wondering if we get an extra payment...

anyways all comments and ideas very welcome as i really do not no how i will afford xmas as i can hardly afford to live at the minute

xxx

Comments

• Lube
    Lube Posts: 1,495 Forumite
    http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/MoneyTaxAndBenefits/BenefitsTaxCreditsAndOtherSupport/On_a_low_income/DG_10018704

Who is eligible?

To get a Christmas Bonus you must be a resident in the UK, Channel Islands, Isle of Man, Gibraltar, any EEA country, or Switzerland and be entitled to at least one of the following benefits in the qualifying week:
    • Attendance Allowance
    • Constant Attendance Allowance
    • Contribution-based Employment and Support Allowance
    • Disability Living Allowance
    • Incapacity Benefit at the long-term rate
    • Industrial Death Benefit
    • Carer's Allowance
    • Mobility Supplement
    • Pension Credit - the guarantee element
    • State Pension (including Graduated Retirement Benefit)
    • Severe Disablement Allowance
    • Unemployability Supplement or Allowance
    • War Disablement Pension if aged 65 or over
    • War Widow's Pension
    • Widow's Pension
    • Widowed Mother's Allowance
    • Widowed Parent's Allowance
  • Choco
    Choco Posts: 271 Forumite
    weebop88 wrote: »
    Hi everyone,
    am all new to this...i was just wondering if you get any extra job seekers allowance payments @ christmas to help you cover any additional costs you may have to encounter? i.e christmas dinner presents etc etc...

i am 21 years old and lost my job in march :confused:
    i am out a fortune as i live alone also so was just wondering if we get an extra payment...

anyways all comments and ideas very welcome as i really do not no how i will afford xmas as i can hardly afford to live at the minute

xxx

Sorry but no, I used to work in SSA. You may get paid early but thats about it. I would advise you whilst on JSA Income Based get a check up with Dentist and any follow up treatmentas at least that's free!
  • weebop88 wrote: »
    Hi everyone,

So you want to see if you can get more money off the govt to buy presents for people?
  • blued
    blued Posts: 698 Forumite
    I'm pretty sure that friends and family will understand if you dont get them a present this year seeing as you're unemployed. Obviously it will be more difficult if you have kids. Are there no temporary xmas jobs in your area that you could do while looking for more permanent employment?

I dont think the tax payer should be expected to pay extra benefits to people at any time of the year.
  • coco1980
    coco1980 Posts: 625 Forumite
    no im a single parent and was on job seekers a few years ago, i didn't get any extra money at xmas and my son also has a birthday 2 weeks before xmas
    :oIn 2009 i finally gave up smoking Have been smoke free for 3 years!!!!!!
    Weight Watchers starting weight 12.6
    Target weight 10st current weight - -10 st 7lb
    Aim to be debt free by Jan 2013! not now just bought a house:D
  • why should people who work provide the money for your christmas dinner and presents?

i know its not a nice situation to be in (assuming that you would prefer to be working) and i have been on JSA before, but you don't have to buy extravagant christmas presents. can you go to a relatives for christmas dinner and chip in a bit, such as help with the cooking/preparation, or bring one of the side dishes or a bottle of wine?

you're only 21....do u really need to live alone? if you houseshared you would be paying less rent and less bills. i'm 25 and i'm a lodger which helps to bring down costs for me.

i would agree with the post someone made about using this opportunity to get freebies, such as going to the dentist etc. When i was on JSA i went to belfast tech and signed up for an evening course which was subsidised but cost me 150 quid. my employers recently looked up the course for one of my colleagues and found that it costs over £1000!
  • Indo77
    Indo77 Posts: 181 Forumite
    edited 5 November 2009 at 6:33PM
    I don't like the tone of opinions in this thread, maybe the OP was naive to think she would get a bonus but there is too much of the "I am a Taxpayer who pays for you" attitude in this thread. I've been in the same position in the past at that age. Fact is many people have lost their jobs and are struggling. I know temps grateful to get anything. It's not always a case of people not wanting to work.

weebop88,

Lots of places are looking temp Christmas staff. Not an ideal situation next to a permanant job but still will help at this time of year.
  • sleepymy
    sleepymy Posts: 6,097 Forumite
    Yeah, also try the freebies board on here, you never know what you might be able to pick up to give as presents. You can also consider re-gifting things from last year you haven't used (just don't give it back to the person who gave it to you!). You'd be surprised at what you can find in the Charity shops and if you like making things you can google for home made gift ideas. Gifts can also include little promise cards i.e. doing little jobs for people as their gift or taking them on free days out/free ticket shows they normally wouldn't think of.
    The stupid things you do, you regret... if you have any sense, and if you don't regret them, maybe you're stupid. - Katharine Hepburn
  • Indo77 wrote: »
    I don't like the tone of opinions in this thread, maybe the OP was naive to think she would get a bonus

i do think it was naivity, thats why i gave some pointers to reduce outgoings:
    • don't live alone
    • pick up freebies while on JSA - not only health, but also education
    • join other people for xmas dinner
    • don't go mad buying presents!
    i think sometimes people go over the top at xmas, and theres no need. a lot of people get into debt at this time of year showing off that they can afford to buy presents. people just need to be realisitic - i only buy for immediate family and boyfriend, so thats 4 presents in total.
  • purt
    purt Posts: 4,710 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Have a duff Christmas this year and appreciate what a normal Christmas is like next year!

Agree with the others; you should consider moving back home if you're in a position to do so. Although, presumably you'd lose your housing benefit if you did?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure