Carpet fitting

Just a simple question. If you buy a new carpet and want fitting included, do they expect the room to be empty? How do you go on if you have a room full of furniture and just want to replace your old carpet? Thanks.

Comments

• Torry_Quine
    Torry_Quine Posts: 18,828 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Bake Off Boss!
    Yes they expect the room to be empty as it means they can just get in and out. It would cost more if they hd to move all the furniture and also they probably wouldn't be covered if there was a problem.
    Lost my soulmate so life is empty.

I can bear pain myself, he said softly, but I couldna bear yours. That would take more strength than I have -
    Diana Gabaldon, Outlander
  • Ask. It varies. Our place including the moving of light furniture (we had just moved in and didn't have much). They would have moved heavier furniture for an additional cost. When my parents have had it done, moving furniture has always been included, but that isn't standard.

Usually the cost comes from having to have an extra person on the day, and the extra time it takes.
  • Ebe_Scrooge
    Ebe_Scrooge Posts: 7,320 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    ^ ^ ^ ^

Agreed. You need to ask, but in general the fitters will be happy to work around light / easily shifted stuff but will want heavier stuff removed beforehand, or they will have to make a additional charge - reasonable enough, as you're paying for their time, and lumping furniture around is going to mean it takes them longer.
  • pinkteapot
    pinkteapot Posts: 8,038 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Ask the shop/fitter... We recently had five rooms carpeted and we removed the furniture, old carpet and underlay so the room was all ready to go. Saved us some £££. :D

Not looking forward to doing our lounge next year though - it's full of big, heavy furniture and we don't have other rooms downstairs to move some of the bits into. Could be fun.
  • grizzly1911
    grizzly1911 Posts: 9,965 Forumite
    Don't forget they have got to pull/stretch the carpet to fit and won't be able to do that so well if there is weight on the carpet.
    "If you act like an illiterate man, your learning will never stop... Being uneducated, you have no fear of the future.".....

"big business is parasitic, like a mosquito, whereas I prefer the lighter touch, like that of a butterfly. "A butterfly can suck honey from the flower without damaging it," "Arunachalam Muruganantham
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure