PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

That wet flannel smell!!

I've had alittle peak at some older threads on here and have managed to get some good advice. But I thought I might pose these questions all together and maybe generate a few more answers/suggestions to some problems which I sometimes experience:-

1)Why do I regularly get white stains down some of my clothes (namely my uniform [nice green ambulance stuff!]) after I've washed it? Looks like I've spilt toothpaste or yoghurt down it! I use persil or tesco's biological powder(in the green box) and wash it at 40 and sometimes 60 degrees if needed.

2)I have been reading alot on here how people don't bother with fabric conditioner and use white vinegar, is this for real?? What benefits does it have?

3) No matter how many times i sling face clothes into wash, after few days they stink again of wet mustiness. Am I washing them wrong or what?

4)Best way to pre-treat underarm areas every so often?:embarasse

AND

5) How does everyone else do their washing, I'm a powder, vanish oxyaction and fabric conditioner type of girl, 40degrees for colours and 50/60 degrees for lights?? Any suggestions to change and the reasons why?

I never realised that there was so much more to doing the washing then bunging it in and leaving it for an hour.;)
:silenced:

Comments

• phizzimum
    phizzimum Posts: 1,712
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    re question 2 - the only times I use fabric softener is when I've had a free sample. The only benefit it seems to give is the nice smell - which seems to irritate DD and DH's eczema! I know it makes towels softer - but doesn't it make them less able to absorb water too?

re question 3 - do you mean the flannels smell musty after being washed, or after being wet in the bathroom for a few days?

not sure about the white stains...could it be the powder is not dissolving properly? I do get white stains on my clothes - but in my case it is toothpaste or yoghurt!

generally - I wash most things at 40 degrees, or 30 if not very dirty. I wash teatowels and dishcloths and towels at 90 degrees.
    weaving through the chaos...
  • Glad
    Glad Posts: 18,858
    Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Senior Ambassador
    how much powder do you put in each wash?
    I am a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Wales, Small Biz MoneySaving, In My Home (includes DIY) MoneySaving, and Old style MoneySaving boards. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • phizzimum
    Forumite
    yes good point Glad. I only use half the recommended amount. I got a free scoop from some website or other (most detergent companies will give them away) and marked on it the half way point.
  • Phizzimum, The Flannels smell ok (not fantastic) just out of washer and once dried, but only takes 1 or 2 days of using them for them to reek again. Maybe i should put them on radiator every time we have used them?

Glad, admittedly, I use a fair bit of powder. Just can't detach myself from idea that lots means more cleaner......I'm the same with deodarant, lather it on to double make sure I don't sweat!! Its a waste i know but it scares me to break the habit...
  • Maybe i'm just doing it all wrong?????

It sounds daft, but is there a right way and a wrong way to load and use your washing machine???

Oh my god, don't tell me I could have saved loads of money in the last 15years of adult hood??:eek:
  • Pink.
    Pink. Posts: 17,675
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Hi lemonade_lifestyle,

These earlier threads may help you find the answers to your questions:

1) White marks on clothes

2) Homeade Fabric Conditioner

3) Do you change kitchen cloths every day?

How often do you wash your towels?

Ok, the above two aren't really relevant to your question but I linked to them so you could see how often people wash cloths and towels. Face cloths do smell if they are allowed to hang about the bathroom when they're damp. I think the only answer is to sling them into the wash after using or make sure that they get dried properly between uses.

4) Huge white deodorant marks on my tops!

5) Finally in answer to your question about washing, everyone has their own way, but these threads may give you some ideas of what others like to do:

Mixing washing soda with laundry powder???

Washing powder v liquid

Home-made washing powder

Alternatives to washing powder???

30 degree wash

Hope this helps :)

Pink
  • moanymoany
    moanymoany Posts: 2,877 Forumite
    Try using washing liquid for a while and see if that fixes the problem.

Flannels need to be dried between uses if they have started to smell. I've found that once they smell like that they never get back to 'normal'. I detest it and always chuck them out. An old towel cut up makes loads of them.

I had a constant battle with my mum's flannels. Even after putting through the wash a few times and tumble drying they were awful, I think they can't be rescued.
  • Maybe if I actually got of my behind and did more house work and less surfing of the tinternet, i wouldn't worry as much!!:think: He ho, this board is fab. I can;t be bothered to clean, just done 3 awful night shifts.....
  • phizzimum
    Forumite
    I think flannels will smell after a couple of days of use. moisture plus warmth plus contact with body will breed bacteria.

with regard to loading the washing machine - I've read that it's best to put the powder in the drum first, then the clothes on top. that way the powder will dissolve properly. apparently it doesn't always dissolve if you put it in the drawer, especially when washing at lower temperatures. (sometimes I do this, sometimes I don't!)

why not try one wash using half the amount of powder and see if you can tell the difference? If you use too much detergent all that's happening is it's going down the drain, or ending up as residue on your clothes. twice as much doesn't mean twice as clean - in fact , less is more!
  • Teria
    Teria Posts: 204 Forumite
    I only use flannels once, and put them straight in the wash. Towels I change as little as possible, about once a week, and they don't smell.
    I only ever wash on 30, and most of the time use soap nuts with essential oils, or laundry balls, it works out cheaper, and it doesn't destroy the environment the same way as conventional washing powders. That said, I have a box of aquados, or Ecover washing tablets for school uniforms, and a tub of oxy action stuff for my partners work clothes (always covered in oil and grease).
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure