£67,031.92 is a frightening number indeed....

Comments

• Have just reconciled YNAB. The horror! Nothing over budget yet, but we have another week and a bit to get through with practically no money. Should be entertaining. I can, if absolutely necessary, lose some of the buffer I have set up in my business account and use some of that money, but I am really loathe to do it. I'll see how the party weekend pans out and then have the ultimate grocery budgeting challenge to get to the end of the month.
    Trying to figure out a whole new life. Trying to figure out a whole new budget.
    Divorcing, unclear on final debt total right now, but focusing on building a financial buffer zone.
  • Exhausted after another busy day (I don't seem to have any non-busy days at the moment - I was talking to a friend earlier who said she got gripped by a book and read for two hours and I literally can't remember the last time I had two hours to myself!).

Parents meeting with the older two DCs' teachers went well - one is wildly academic and fairly unsociable, one is averagely academic and enormously gregarious. They average out to two normal children, which I'm calling a win. :rotfl: :p :rotfl:

To do today:
    1. Eat healthily and walk 10,000 steps. Done!
    2. Get at least one laundry on the line, preferably two. This time of year is always tricky for laundry - heating not on enough to easily dry inside, but frequently raining and cold outside!
    3. Check valued opinions for surveys. Not done. I am useless at finding time for this.
    4. Social media for work. Done!
    5. Try again to make two meals while cooking this evening, since I now actually have some ingredients! Not done, but I did make a monster batch of black bean chilli for dinner, enough for at least one more family meal, maybe two.
    6. Balance YNAB - forgot to do this yesterday and there's always a few transactions to add as they clear after the weekend. Done. Traumatic. Have approx 8p to last the next 10 days. That's be fine, right?
    7. Plan both party treasure hunts and print out pictures. Not done, moved to tomorrow's list.

To do this week:
    1. List old unloved handbag on eb@y - this didn't get done last week, annoyingly.
    2. List old nursing chair on eb@y too, unless my mum wants it back (we 'borrowed' it 9 years ago, she had said before we can sell it when we no longer need it, but I will double check)
    3. Make more candles - essential oils are here and I am running low again! (I spent a fortune on scented candles before starting to make them!)
    4. Finish sock knitting and cast on socks for my dad's birthday.
    5. Pay preschool bill. Done!
    Divorcing, unclear on final debt total right now, but focusing on building a financial buffer zone.
  • Bobarella
    Bobarella Posts: 10,824 Forumite
    Savvy Shopper! I've been Money Tipped!
    Glad parents evening went well. I know what you mean. I knew things were bad when I enjoyed my walk to Mr T on Sunday evening to grab some forgotten grocery items. Leaving the smalls at home with OH.
    The freedom! No buggy. No small person leaning out dangerously to one side making the whole thing take on the resemblance of a clown car. No one asking me to choose whether I'd rather be superman or batman....

Well overdue some grownup time!
    " Your vibe attracts your tribe":D

Debt neutral :) 27/03/17 from £40k:eek: in the hole 2012.
    Roadkill 17 £56.58 2016-£62.28 2015- £84.20)
    RYSAW17 £1900 2016 £2,535.16 2015 £1027.20
  • Not that you asked for advice BUT I am going to say that I think doing surveys is not a useful use of your time. They're great for people who can't increase their income any other way, but you're time poor, and you have your own business to build - if you do find some extra minutes here and there, I think you're far better off putting them into your own business.

Apart from that piece of unsolicited, I just wanted to say how much I enjoy your writing and I'm cheering you on. Good luck with your boundless 8p riches!
    MFW diary here. 1 Feb 2017 $229,371 - MFD Feb 2043 :eek: aiming for May 2028
    14 August 2017 - Refinanced: $220,000
    January 2019 $211,580 Current MFD 31 June 2036
  • Cherryfudge
    Cherryfudge Posts: 10,026 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    You have plus 8p which is better by far than minus 8p... though admittedly not enormously helpful. However, I spotted a very large black bean chilli in there too. Looking good. You are headed in the right direction. :) If you are making sandwiches for the kiddlywinks, you may find yourselves living off them too. I remember doing that after discovering too late that sandwiches are apparently mere party accessories and don't appeal to the marauding masses.

I quite fancy black bean chilli, now you mention it... and did you know you can use the cooking juices from beans (cooking not soaking) in place of eggs in cooking? I only found that out today. It's called aquafaba. So that will save you the price of a box of eggs. :D Apparently it makes a brownie-like bake and tastes no different from normal.

Well done on all you're achieving by the way. Truly. That's an impressive list of things already done.
    I think a bit of sunshine is good for frugal living. (Cranky40)
    The sun's been out and I think I’m solar powered (Onebrokelady)

Fashion on the Ration challenge, 2024: Trainers 5 coupons. 5/68
    20.5 coupons used in 2020. 62.5 used in 2021. 94.5 remaining as of 21/3/22
  • Treadingonplaymobil
    Treadingonplaymobil Posts: 1,895 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 22 March 2017 at 7:02AM
    You have plus 8p which is better by far than minus 8p... though admittedly not enormously helpful. However, I spotted a very large black bean chilli in there too. Looking good. You are headed in the right direction. :) If you are making sandwiches for the kiddlywinks, you may find yourselves living off them too. I remember doing that after discovering too late that sandwiches are apparently mere party accessories and don't appeal to the marauding masses.

I quite fancy black bean chilli, now you mention it... and did you know you can use the cooking juices from beans (cooking not soaking) in place of eggs in cooking? I only found that out today. It's called aquafaba. So that will save you the price of a box of eggs. :D Apparently it makes a brownie-like bake and tastes no different from normal.

Well done on all you're achieving by the way. Truly. That's an impressive list of things already done.
    I did not know that about the bean water! Although I usually use it in the chilli when I do a black bean one. I wonder if it works for all beans though - there are some recipes where I don't use the water. Off to google!

I think we have a couple of other leftover meals in the freezer - I'm going to have a mega planning session on a Sunday with whatever's left. Even if we are a little over, I am going to keep reminding myself that £20 over is better than £50 over, and only £10 is even better again!

We have given up on sandwiches for exactly that reason - DH is going to make mini pizzas with the leftovers from homemade pizzas on Thursday, and sausage rolls.
  • Not that you asked for advice BUT I am going to say that I think doing surveys is not a useful use of your time. They're great for people who can't increase their income any other way, but you're time poor, and you have your own business to build - if you do find some extra minutes here and there, I think you're far better off putting them into your own business.

Apart from that piece of unsolicited, I just wanted to say how much I enjoy your writing and I'm cheering you on. Good luck with your boundless 8p riches!
    I think you're probably right - it seems silly not to do surveys as they are 'free money' but actually my time is my most precious commodity at the moment. Maybe over Easter when I have a lot of dead time with the children (when they are off school and occupied, but not enough for me to get on with work) I'll get some done, but I'm not going to stress about it, and I might remove it from my daily list as it's hardly ever getting done.
  • Bobarella wrote: »
    Glad parents evening went well. I know what you mean. I knew things were bad when I enjoyed my walk to Mr T on Sunday evening to grab some forgotten grocery items. Leaving the smalls at home with OH.
    The freedom! No buggy. No small person leaning out dangerously to one side making the whole thing take on the resemblance of a clown car. No one asking me to choose whether I'd rather be superman or batman....

Well overdue some grownup time!
    Yes, this! I love my little team, but sometimes I just want a bit of headspace.
  • stoplurking
    stoplurking Posts: 384 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Debt-free and Proud!
    Hi ToP
    I love reading your diary, it's very entertaining for an onlooker but so busy for you. You are doing brilliantly.

Re the lack of funds for rest of month, well once you've blown the 8p that is, why not just get that blooming handbag up on the bay and see if some kind soul will put it out of its misery? It's been languishing there on your list for weeks and might mean you don't go over budget this month.

I know you have plans for money made from sales but if it saves you dipping into your business account that's all good surely? Then if that goes, put the chair on, mother permitting.
    Just a thought from a stranger on Internet so feel free to ignore! Keep up the good work. Hope the parties go well. X
    MFIT -T5 #42
  • Hi ToP
    I love reading your diary, it's very entertaining for an onlooker but so busy for you. You are doing brilliantly.

Re the lack of funds for rest of month, well once you've blown the 8p that is, why not just get that blooming handbag up on the bay and see if some kind soul will put it out of its misery? It's been languishing there on your list for weeks and might mean you don't go over budget this month.

I know you have plans for money made from sales but if it saves you dipping into your business account that's all good surely? Then if that goes, put the chair on, mother permitting.
    Just a thought from a stranger on Internet so feel free to ignore! Keep up the good work. Hope the parties go well. X
    You're right, I need to list the freaking bag!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback