PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Deposit Used as Rent

anon_private
anon_private Posts: 171 Forumite
edited 15 June 2017 at 7:37PM in House buying, renting & selling
How common is the following system

I am renting a room in someone's house. There are three lodgers.

The system is that we, on arrival, pay one months rent in advance and a further deposit (on month's rent). The following month, I will pay the rent, and so on.

When I give notice, I will get the final month free. The original advert stated 2 months minimum rental period

There is no paperwork, rental agreement, etc. but I asked for a receipt for the cash payment, and received one.

No problems so far, but it seems an unusual system.

Thanks

Comments

• hammy1988
    hammy1988 Posts: 145 Forumite
    I'd smell a rat at any system when there is a lack of paperwork.

Have they protected the deposit in the scheme? If so then that's something at least, if not, run a mile.

Sounds like you need your rental agreement clarifying and putting in writing, it will save a lot of hassle in the long run...and ultimately is the legal thing to do.

Protect yourself as a tenant.
  • Pixie5740
    Pixie5740 Posts: 14,515 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    hammy1988 wrote: »
    I'd smell a rat at any system when there is a lack of paperwork.

Have they protected the deposit in the scheme? If so then that's something at least, if not, run a mile.

Sounds like you need your rental agreement clarifying and putting in writing, it will save a lot of hassle in the long run...and ultimately is the legal thing to do.

Protect yourself as a tenant.

Live-in landlords do not need to protect lodgers' deposits. Furthermore, lodgers are not tenants but excluded occupiers.....big difference.
  • Pixie5740
    Pixie5740 Posts: 14,515 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    How common is the following system

I am renting a room in someone's house. There are three lodgers.

The system is that we, on arrival, pay one months rent in advance and a further deposit (on month's rent). The following month, I will pay the rent, and so on.

When I give notice, I will get the final month free. The original advert stated 2 months minimum rental period

There is no paperwork, rental agreement, etc. but I asked for a receipt for the cash payment, and received one.

No problems so far, but it seems an unusual system.

Thanks

It's not particularly usual. The deposit is there to cover any damage that you do over and above fair wear & tear. Whilst the landlord might refer to it as a deposit it sounds more like rent in advance.
  • hammy1988
    hammy1988 Posts: 145 Forumite
    Pixie5740 wrote: »
    Live-in landlords do not need to protect lodgers' deposits. Furthermore, lodgers are not tenants but excluded occupiers.....big difference.

My bad... that'll teach me for skim reading
  • DumbMuscle
    DumbMuscle Posts: 244 Forumite
    So... wait. Lets say you were in the property from June to September. Just to be clear I understand this.

In May (before moving in) you pay 2 months rent (1 month as deposit, + 1 month for June, paid in advance)
    In June, you pay rent for July
    In July, you pay rent for August, and give notice to leave in September
    In August, you pay no rent (as September is free, taken out of the deposit)
    In September, you pay no rent (as you will not be there in October)
    There is no deposit refund (as it has been used to pay rent) - so what does the LL do if there is damage?

OR

In May (before moving in) you pay 2 months rent (1 month as deposit, + 1 month paid in advance)
    In June, you pay rent for June
    In July, you pay rent for July, and give notice to leave in September
    In August, you pay rent for August
    In September, you pay no rent (as it is covered by the month in advance), and your deposit is refunded at the end (minus deductions for damage)

Which does the landlord mean? Both could be seen as "final month free". The former matches how rental payments usually work (i.e. you pay in advance for each rental period), the latter matches how deposits usually work.

But yes, you have a payment system you don't fully understand, and no paperwork to fall back on when your understanding is different to the landlord's. You need to fix at least one, preferably both, of these problems.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure